red umbrella man

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaren

Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
30014424.jpg

instead of crude comments, why not give constructive advices on how he can improve his photos?

no worries lah.... i welcome all comments! :)

MatthewSCL said:
Constructive comments on the red umbrella photos?
-> Dont know what to improve cos theres nothing to improve on...bascially, its a snap shot loh....

-> as for the rest, I would say, dont trigger happy loh....
how to improve photography are all found on the web, be it composition, colors, patterns...etc etc....its all up to oneself to practice whats been learned...follow the rules or create your own....be creative...

anyway, I like Zaren's attitude towards comments....upzz for you my friend... :thumbsup: :D

maybe before you press the trigger, ask yourself why you want to take this pic....what you want to show people....expression? Umbrella?, the RED Coloe? Raining/Sunny???...etc etc....once you have that in mind, you will compose to enhance the object....keep it simple, clear but with impact...
:eek:

MatthewSCL

I think sometimes you take photos because you like to "freeze-frame" in your mind as the subject, colour, action etc makes you think that it will works.

The readiness to shoot is particularly important to take candid as it's often a fleeting moment whereby you can capture the essence. E.g. see works of Henri-Carter Bossen.

Of course, all of us is unlikely to reach that standard. However, i do admire the fact that Zaren is willing and have the courage to show us his photo.

I think Matthew is also right to say that we should give more thoughts to the photos we take on the condition that it is POSSIBLE. In this case, it is and so perhaps Zaren can look at some of the constructive comments to improve his photos.

Happy snapping!!

actually..."the story to tell" is that, well, he came across a striking red umbrella lor :D

Jazer said:
OT , reminds me of a singtel AD

hmmm, thats an idea.... snap him standing next to another guy carrying a teensy orange umbrella, and title it "telco war" :think:

zaren said:
hmmm, thats an idea.... snap him standing next to another guy carrying a teensy orange umbrella, and title it "telco war" :think:

Z, try this... convert the whole image into B&W but have the man and umbrella in color... :)

It would come across as a pretty creepy shot me thinks....

Wolfgang said:
Z, try this... convert the whole image into B&W but have the man and umbrella in color... :)

It would come across as a pretty creepy shot me thinks....

hey wolfie, that's a good idea.... why din i think of that....

the guy's face is bathed in red light, so yeah it should look creepy, will have a go later.

thats the beauty of the gallery.. can get good ideas from everyone! :)

Keep up! Digital is free! Better to shoot than just talk.
I like the picture by the way.

NashVillian said:
I think it is Henri Cartier-Bresson

well, Henri Carter-Bossen....actually he's really a photographer from the British Honduras :bsmilie:

zaren said:
I like the expression of this old man. IMO, the heat of the day were reflected both in the red hue shown through the umbrella and the facial expression .I think this is a good street shot.Personally, I will crop away the ppl on the left to fix our eyes but you would not have the entire umbrella. Headache :bsmilie:

I do agree with matthew in a couple of ways. The photo lacks punch, and it lacks focus. And we must understand that we should expect a very high standard for ourselves, if we were to seriously pursue this hobby. When I take a shot(apart from snapshots), I'll ask myself if its really good enough to keep.... a good gauge will be to ask yourself if its magazine quality, if it would look good in a mag. Often, I keep only about 10% of the images I take, and even then.... I will delete abt half of those I keep after a month. Not that those which are left are really good.... :embrass: .

Back to the photo. The expression of the man is indeed rather interesting. I have to take my hat off you for being daring enough to go so close to capture it (i suppose your focal length is abt 40mm). But there is a lack of focus here, and the background is way too distracting. Keeping it simple.... I would use a longer lens (85mm-100mm) and use a wide aperture to seriously defocus the background.

But still, I applaud your attempt.

replying not in direction connection with this post, but just commenting in general... agree with marcwang ... the keyword is 'edit, edit, edit!' personally, i don't think it's going to be much help to just post pictures for the sake of posting ("pictures i took 5 minutes ago.. pls have a look, comments pls")

it's not going to help improve anything if you don't do self editing of your pictures. it might be a good idea to set a certain level of 'standard' for yourself, and thrash those pics which you think can't make it. then raise the bar again and again, and re-edit until you get down to the core of the series. so often we just see a post go unnoticed or just 'nice pic' type of comments. (i kena before also :p )

i remembered something a mentor told me, and i never forgot since... what's the difference between a professional photographer and an amateur? the size of their dustbins! (for thrashing pics :p )

Stereobox said:
replying not in direction connection with this post, but just commenting in general... agree with marcwang ... the keyword is 'edit, edit, edit!' personally, i don't think it's going to be much help to just post pictures for the sake of posting ("pictures i took 5 minutes ago.. pls have a look, comments pls")

(for thrashing pics :p )

I do not agree in editing the image to make it ungenuinely dramatic or captivating. Pls do not misunderstand. Editing is a refinement process, not a make over procedure. If you have captured an ordinary image, and u bump the saturation, work on the contrast, etc etc, it may look good to an amateur, but to the eyes of an artist, its just make up. The composition is one of the most important aspects of photography, and no amounts of PSing will change it.

And posting images you took 5 minutes ago is alright, as long as you genuinely seek advice. No post processing done to them, all the better. That way, we can see your original work and comment more accurately.

:)

marcwang, rest assured my sentiments reflect that of yours :)

by editing, i mean exactly what you are trying to get at. note my comment, 'size of dustbins for thrashing pics?' :)

i use the word 'edit' in the same sense as, an 'editor'

Status
Not open for further replies.