Red Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.
3584322803_39655708d0_b.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

I will like feedback on post processing techniques. There are 2 techniques done in this photo; selective coloring and soft focus. I want to depict the feeling of love and the vibrant red, hence I have deliberately selective colored the rose.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to show how the contrast of red with monochrome can be a good match and also the priceless unintentional closing of the eyes by the model.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

This shot was captured at night, and on the left, there's a distraction, which explains the slight glow of light after i did the soft focus.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.

Personally, I like this picture because it's my first attempt to do PP and the model is my gf. I kinda like the outcome and effect. Though i must say, i'm really a noob here and i hope i get comments, good or bad.

Technically I think you did pretty well here. The rose is sharp(though I would prefer a fresher one) and with just a wee bit of blown highlights on her finger nails and joints, exposure is tack on. I'm wondering whether any diffused lights were used here. And yes, there is a visual contrast between the red of the rose and the monochromatic background. Though I'd wish you would tone down on the blurring. It's too obvious.

Compositionally, there are a few aspects that you might want to consider. The obvious is that your model is looking away from the camera which I think have somewhat kills the mood that you intended. The closed eyes and smile isn't working here too.
Another thing which you might want to consider is cropping this into a portrait. There are just too much empty space around your subject. You also might to lose that bangles she has on as my eyes keep shifting focus from the rose to them.

I believed the color of the rose will dominate the attention of the viewer. The blurring below is too much for soft focus. it just added a ghostly feeling which i find is not harmonious with the smiling model.

Status
Not open for further replies.