Red Kites: Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

szekiat

Jan 19, 2002
London
Visit site
Just spent the last 3 days in the shittiest of **** weather conditions trying to shoot the red kites of mid wales. I had hale for 2 days (this is different from snow in that it was bits of ice falling on me) and it was freezing all day and night. Unfortunately this is also the weather that bring out the kites! We had upwards of 300 kites on the cold days and 100+ on warm (5deg C) days! It was good. The red kite was an endangered species in the uk a few years ago and have only recently repopulated. Wales is one of the best spots to see them. Shooting condition was crap, ISO 800 most of the time, and 1600 as well. Hardly managed to use ISO 400 and below. Shots are mostly done at f3.5, to f4 with some at 2.8. Click on the photo for more in my photobucket!

I have just gotten back 3 hrs ago. Time to sleep and then work on the raw file tomorrow. There was no internet access where i was. It was ULU i tell you. No street lights in the farm path at all!!!
PS: I was shooting at a red kite feeding station in the farmland of mid wales. It was established 13yrs ago to help incresae the red kite population. Today, it operates a rehab ceter for injured birds as well. Some of the birds are tagged for research purposes but are all free roaming. Due to the cold, they readily congregate near the station as it is a ready and constant source of food!

Status
Not open for further replies.