Red Indian Firedance

cherrineo

Jan 7, 2011
IMG_29761.JPG

Took this picture in malacca (A Famosa Cowboy town)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I will like feedback on photography techniques.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to show the fire motion through the picture.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this picture under at night in a low lighting condition.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I like this picture because of the fire motion

the fire trails were captured very well. unfortunately it feels too much of a tourist vacation photo. Looking at empty seats in front of the performer, it looked like you had the chance to get much closer and in situations where you want to get a shot, you just have to race for it if you did not already plan for it.

try bringing your mind to national geographic human interest stories, a typical composition would have emotion & motion. the fire motion is nice, but the money shot is being able to see the performer with his performance, a tight frame would have much more impact. Low lighting is hard to gauge exposure, but in this case I feel it's still overexposed, personally I like to see a play of light in photographs. My advice is not to be afraid of experimenting, not to be afraid of underexposing in a low light environment. When put in a unique situation, it's excellent training to see if one can adapt to pull off an amazing composition. I think there was a great chance but you missed it.

Although as the photographer, final decision rests with you to decide which exposure/composition is more important: fire motion or performer. As long as you take something from it, that's fine. :)