Red Gold Seagull 4A-107

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsamhui

Apr 12, 2006
Hi,

I am going to try medium format. I wish to get the Seagull 4A-107 Red Gold.

To the Seagull users here, may I know is there price difference between the black color and the red gold one?

Do you happen to have bought the red gold 4A-107, what is the price like?

Looking forward to your help as I am have been a digital user.

cheers,
Dave

Hi

The 4A-107 is using the 3 group 4 elements taking lens 75mm F3.5 Tessar copy.

The viewing lens is a F2.8 lens. The view finder is the plastic fresnel screen which is bright.

In terms of performance, Red Gold should be the same as all the 4A-107. I have seen the blue copy (for Germany market), and also a Green version in Shanghai China. This is marketing and the cameras are solely for export.

The better made Seagull is the 4A-109 but the price is expensive. The top shuttle speed is 1/500 second. Adorama is selling for about US$280. Singapore price is about $450. China price is about RMB2500.

4A-107 uses a sliding level for shuttle speed and aperture selection. 4A-109 uses round knobs instead, which feels plasticky.

I have used both the 4A107/4A109 in about 10-20F winter and the cameras worked great. In terms of picture quality, they are the same. If the Red Gold is asking for more money than the 4A109, then I would go for the standard 4A107.

Note: You need to invest in an adaptor (34->46mm), a 81A high quality filter and a lens hood to really bring out the best quality of the 4A107.

Without the lens hood, the picture will be a disaster.

Another option to note is the 4B-1 (GC104 in US). The new 4B-1s are very well made and I bought 2 when in China. It is sold for about US$110. The lens is a 3 element lens and the taking lens is F3.5. The picture quality is superb for B&W people photo. Stopped down to F8 the quality is excellent.

4B-1 allows 645 or 6x6 format.

If you just want to have a taste of 6X6, maybe the 4B-1 is a good entry point. The only down side about 4B-1 is the shuttle might be damaged if you change shuttle speed after cocking it. Apart from that, it is a fine piece of equipment.

I remember an old magazine in UK featured the old Seagull 4B (with Chinese badge) and the pictures it produced was very similar to a Pentax 645 for magazine land scape shots.

Sorry I think this is a long winded answer. :)

Sorry I think this is a long winded answer

Brother please don't say that. I am touched by your effort and heart.

Because I'll be going to Muar for a few days and that place is have the old charm, so I tought to get a affordable medium format camera.

If you saw my other post you know I do wedding: use Canon 5DII,1DIII.

I am exploring film after my church leader gave me his Minotla film camera. Bought a Kodak
400 Tmax for the trip. If I get the Seagull I'll get some more film.

Thank you for spending time to explain to me.

Called Seng Cheong, they don't have the red gold one but a 4A-107 with gold side.
Black 4A-107 is $363 (GST incl)
Orient photo selling at $400.

400! For that money, you can get a rolleicord, or a mamiya c330.

But then again, if ure aiming for a seagull ( i have one as well, the version 4. much earlier than 4A.) then get the cheaper one. For aesthetics, if money is a non issue, i say go for the red gold!

Yap, I love the red gold but Seng Cheong dont bring in.

Online from lomography is SGD$426.

A brother here is selling it. I thouhgt of getting from him but no warranty, that's my concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.