red eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoBoy

Apr 9, 2002
psychoboy.siaosiao.net
I tried shooting with red eye reduction flash but I still get this. anyway to remove it with photoshop?

what should I do if I need to take picture of dogs with flash to reduce that?

aae.sized.jpg

Simple, don't use the flash. Their eye structures are quite different, hence red-eye reduction won't work.

Or you can use Photoshop or some image editing program to try remove the redeye.

the lightings is too dim to not use flash.

tried to remove the reflection in the eyes but in the end the eyes look dead. the dogs look like they were blind. any tips in removing the reflections?

Originally posted by PsychoBoy
the lightings is too dim to not use flash.

tried to remove the reflection in the eyes but in the end the eyes look dead. the dogs look like they were blind. any tips in removing the reflections?

Bring em to some light sources?

I tried shooting with red eye reduction flash but I still get this. anyway to remove it with photoshop?

I use Ulead Photo Impact to remove the red eye. They have a post-processing wizard that it very easy to use. The software came with the flatbed scanner I bought (many many years ago).

Originally posted by copland

I use Ulead Photo Impact to remove the red eye. They have a post-processing wizard that it very easy to use. The software came with the flatbed scanner I bought (many many years ago).

Thanks, will try to find the software. :)

or try to use a reflector for your flash, don't use a direct flash? that might help.

Originally posted by Tweek
or try to use a reflector for your flash, don't use a direct flash? that might help.

I am new to photography so I don't really understand what you are talking about. can tell me more?

btw, the flash I used is the build in flash. Thank you.

I am new to photography so I don't really understand what you are talking about. can tell me more?

btw, the flash I used is the build in flash. Thank you.

oh sorry..ok i meant reflecting the flash off a surface so that the lighting from the flash will not be a direct harsh one, and will be spread more evenly on the subject. But it is not achievable with the camera's internal flash cos the direction of it is fixed, and usually it isn't powerful enough.

If you camera supports external flash, and if you do get one in the future, trying bouncing the light off a bounce card, and I think the red-eye problem will be reduced or resolved. I've tried it for my dog and it worked very well.

Or one other thing you can try is to take your dogs from the side, so that their eyes are not directly exposed to the flash. But that will severely limit the kind of shot you can get, so not very flexible.

I have a PS NoRedEye Action. I can email to you if you want. However, this works quite well with human eyes only. Tried to do it with your pics, turned out even worse than your later pic.

Another way, though tedious, but definitely will work is to have a pixel by pixel correction. Use PS6 to manually overwrite the unwanted portion with the colour that you want. You can select the surrounding pixel that do not have any red eye effect and get that colour to go over the affected ones.

This is time consuming, but with practice should be able to do it within 15 minutes per picture.

Hopes that helps.

i dun like the eyes of the dog on the rite(after the editing). his/her left eye looks scary......

A bit of eye basics is needed here :)

Firstly a bit of simple biology.

Red eye in humans is caused by light reflecting off the tapetum lucidium, a layer just below the retina that is filled with blood vessles. When an intense light such as a camera flash firing occurs the eyes pupil contracts but too slowly to stop the reflection of the redness of the tapetum.

Red eye is guaranteed to occur with the human eye if the flash is located less than about 2.5 degrees off axis to the eye.

Animals such as cats and dogs have eyes designed to see far better at night than us poor humans, so they have a different physiology of the eye. The 'red eye' and silver 'eye' are actually caused because they have a far more reflective tapetum lucidium than humans have. The tapetum lucidium in most animals that are nocturnal or have evolved from notcurnal animals reflects light back on to the retina and it's rods and cones thus increasing their night vision sensitivity.

The angle for red eye in animals varies greatly depending on the animal species, the size of the eye and how dilated the pupil is. As a general rule where possible use bounce flash off the ceiling or flash located a foot or more to the side or above the camera to eliminate red eye and silver eye from animal photos

Thanks Ian for the information. very well explained.

Your welcome, a couple of points I should make.

If bouncing the flash off walls/ceiling etc the flash will take on the colour of the wall/ceiling etc so make sure it's white!

If you're stuck with an inbuilt camera flash then get someone else to draw the animals attention and shoot profile or 30/60 degrees to the side to eliminate the redeye with animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.