Red Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark75

Jun 27, 2004
Leith Road
Just wondering what you guys think of this red dragon fly photo that I caught in my home. Used a Sony DSC717.

70c0.jpg

cant see ur pic

what i think? i think you should try using photobucket :thumbsup:

Sorry man, will try again... cookie must have been only on my PC.

Should be able to view now...

Red_Dragon.jpg

if you intend to do a macro, go closer. the F717 has a good macro mode that allows you to capture big close-ups.

btw, to share your pics, use a smaller size like 600x480. besides reducing the filesize, most people would be able to see it without using horizontal scroll.

mpenza said:
if you intend to do a macro, go closer. the F717 has a good macro mode that allows you to capture big close-ups.

btw, to share your pics, use a smaller size like 600x480. besides reducing the filesize, most people would be able to see it without using horizontal scroll.

Paiseh, complete newbie here; to both photography and this forum.

Actually, I snapped at it as I crept closer and closer; this was as close as I got. Then not liking my invasion of its privacy, it took off.

Ok, will resize smaller on my next post.

Thanks!

At one time, I thot it was similar to my Avatar - Red Dragon ... :bsmilie:

You need to get closer 1:1, or u can crop another 50% off .. :sweat:

I seldom post my photos here but I took one that looks exactly like your dragonfly too. Any comments? Me also newbie.

dragonfly_copy.jpg

icer said:
I seldom post my photos here but I took one that looks exactly like your dragonfly too. Any comments? Me also newbie.

dragonfly_copy.jpg

For me, most photos here look great; typical fascination of a newbie! But in personal preference, I think yours captured a good wing spread; mine looks like a tired dragonfly who has just completed a marathon.

Did you do a lot of cropping for yours? Was wondering how you got so close. Maybe as approach from behind has more stealth! (No lah, we all know they have thousands of eyes and can even see almost 360 degrees.)

Clark75 said:
For me, most photos here look great; typical fascination of a newbie! But in personal preference, I think yours captured a good wing spread; mine looks like a tired dragonfly who has just completed a marathon.

Did you do a lot of cropping for yours? Was wondering how you got so close. Maybe as approach from behind has more stealth! (No lah, we all know they have thousands of eyes and can even see almost 360 degrees.)

Yah, I was really quite close and this dragonfly is on a plant above the pond. I was hovering above the pond and trying my best not to fall inside. I did cropped too but lucky the lighting was good so I am able to capture it quite clearly. Cropping it shows more details of its body and wing.

I am a newbie and I took this on my second photo outing so it was very motivating for me. Here is another dragonfly.

dragonfly_small_copy.jpg

wah dragon fever here is it? can i join too? hehe
Clark75, interesting pose u get there! but can try going closer to it for bigger magnification :)
icer, great effort for ur shots! 1st shot is interesting. ur 2nd shot background is too distracting, try look for a cleaner background next time.
i have some of the dragon shots inside my gallery. well if both of you are interested, we can go for a dragon outing ;)

hehe just to show the same speices of the dragon u both took.
its a Trithemis aurora :)
sbg_003_copy2.jpg

[size=-2]*how? i itchy for some hunting already ;p[/size]

y0ngcheng said:
wah dragon fever here is it? can i join too? hehe
Clark75, interesting pose u get there! but can try going closer to it for bigger magnification
icer, great effort for ur shots! 1st shot is interesting. ur 2nd shot background is too distracting, try look for a cleaner background next time.
i have some of the dragon shots inside my gallery. well if both of you are interested, we can go for a dragon outing

hehe just to show the same speices of the dragon u both took.
its a Trithemis aurora
sbg_003_copy2.jpg

[size=-2]*how? i itchy for some hunting already [/size]

Wow, you very pro. We newbie mah!
How do you make your background so dark? You use flash?
:dunno:

icer said:
Wow, you very pro. We newbie mah!
How do you make your background so dark? You use flash?
:dunno:

nono, still a newbie learning.
some ppl like dark background,while most of the ppl dislike it.
for my case, my background is too far from my subject, thus after flashing it, the background tend to be dark.

[size=-2]*dragon hunting soon?[/size] :p

Hi clark,
actually what you can do is do some cropping and photoshoping.
subject too center is not too nice, try to give the subject's eyes some space looking forward. it feel comfortable for the subject and the viewer too.

Red_Dragon.jpg

[size=-2]hope you dont mind me editting ur photo[/size] :)

Yong Cheng is the pro in shooting dragon fly for no doubt!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

p/s: didnt know u have upgraded ur 300d to 10d. :D

wow ! cool dragonfly pictures... i am a newbie too. and would like to try some of these shots. Am using a 300D, i presume I need to get a macro lens to get these pics ? cos I dun presume the kit lens in macro mode can do something like this ?

Will03 said:
wow ! cool dragonfly pictures... i am a newbie too. and would like to try some of these shots. Am using a 300D, i presume I need to get a macro lens to get these pics ? cos I dun presume the kit lens in macro mode can do something like this ?

Will03.... u can get good macros wif the kit lens if u noe how to use ur manual function properly..... tis pic is taken wif a 300D with kit lens.... :D

27847b39.jpg

sumball said:
Yong Cheng is the pro in shooting dragon fly for no doubt!!!

p/s: didnt know u have upgraded ur 300d to 10d. :D

hehe no la.. i'm juz more interested in dragonfly and shoot more of them. ;)
so how? when coming into macro? :devil:

so... dragons lover! wanna out for a hunting session? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.