Red Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamcake

Aug 11, 2003
anyone watched?

I watched it today at the grand cathay.. the overall feel is very good..:thumbsup:

Story: i'm not that a historian, but the story to me is entertaining.. each and every one's character is portrayed.. their character and strengths u can feel deeply.. i like the part on 孙权 (played by zhang zheng)..

Effects: U can see the massive war scenes in the movie, but frankly nothing new here.. many other shows showed them before like 投名状... i'm not that impressed here.. but not that its not good..

Camera work: U can see john woo trying out many camera movements, especially with the cranes.. this is the one i have mix feelings about.. The shots are nice.. but then ar i find some of the shots very repetitive and sometimes draggy..the show the same thing but with different camera movement or angle.. which i thought was showing the DOP's weakness.. hah..

And sometimes i can see the lens not that focus on the subject.. wondering was that deliberate or just pure **** up.. hah..

Overall, it doesn't matter if u are not a fan of tony leung, takashi or any of the cast, its still worth the watch... somemore cathay cineplex i went to watch in afternoon, its only 6$ if u use Nets to pay..

oh ya.. its only part 1... the movie just hangs in the air..
so u'll be hooked on part 2.. wonder when will it be out..

......dude you just spoilt the movie for the rest of us.

maybe you should put spoiler warning next time :S

Don't worry, no need to go see, this is about one of the worst movie from recent memory.

John Woo should have stayed with his trademark thriller and stay away from genre he has no business to work on.

First and foremost, the story telling is sub par, due to bad screen play, lousy dialog, inconsitent directing, repetitive action sequences, shallow character development .... all in all, it sucks!

Don't worry, no need to go see, this is about one of the worst movie from recent memory.

John Woo should have stayed with his trademark thriller and stay away from genre he has no business to work on.

First and foremost, the story telling is sub par, due to bad screen play, lousy dialog, inconsitent directing, repetitive action sequences, shallow character development .... all in all, it sucks!

is it historically accurate though? i love history movies hehe

What I know is that there is not written history of the 3 kingdom. Most stories are 野史 and are added and modified as years go by. The outine of the history of 3 kingdom is there but the actual details on why this and why that are still mysteries. Sadly all this are due to years of war for the 2 kingdom.....

......dude you just spoilt the movie for the rest of us.

maybe you should put spoiler warning next time :S

Huh he didn't put any spoilers as far as I can see.

Liked it for the action. No point arguing about the 'historical accuracy', especially as most people will compare it to Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which was a fictionalised account. But still felt it's like an overlong prologue.

Historic accuracy was probably never a concern with the producer, the director and the writers.

However, I do not believe historical accuracy is a necessity to make Red Cliff a watershed class movie. All it needs is a good story (which was given to them), good directing (on and off), good script (it sucks), good action (repetitive and lack unifying styles), good cinematography (so so), good acting (very much on and off) and last but not least, good character development (this is the worst of all).

The hype of this picture was immense. Maybe that is why I found it so dissapointing. However, hype or not, this movie really CMI. I will rank it as one of John Woo's worst.

Yo ..... now you've gone international critique?.... :bsmilie::sweatsm:

Yo ..... now you've gone international critique?....

:bsmilie:
from photo critique to movie critique, before dp starts slamming on their wardrobe and makeup ;p
ok just kidding. :sweatsm:
I wonder whether there will really be part 2 and how many of you will follow up and watch part 2?:think:
I remember many years back there was this chinese movie called 倚天屠龙记 starring Jet Li and 张敏, suppose to have part II but it was never filmed. Although its quite a crap show but still funny and entertaining though :)

:bsmilie:
from photo critique to movie critique, before dp starts slamming on their wardrobe and makeup ;p
ok just kidding. :sweatsm:
I wonder whether there will really be part 2 and how many of you will follow up and watch part 2?:think:
I remember many years back there was this chinese movie called 倚天屠龙记 starring Jet Li and 张敏, suppose to have part II but it was never filmed. Although its quite a crap show but still funny and entertaining though :)

Actually the whole red cliff has finished the production. Just that the movie is dame long if release as only one part. Imagine 5 hours in the cinema.... many people will yawn and yawn.

Actually the whole red cliff has finished the production. Just that the movie is dame long if release as only one part. Imagine 5 hours in the cinema.... many people will yawn and yawn.

Imagine 9 hours... whole 3 parts of Lord of the Rings. :bsmilie:

Listen to the narration on the 3 kingdom on every Sat or Sun at about 12pm. It differs from known story from history e.g.Red Cliff

Listen to the narration on the 3 kingdom on every Sat or Sun at about 12pm. It differs from known story from history e.g.Red Cliff

The show is on Sunday. It is about the view of the host( yi zhong tian), a famous xia meng university professor, telling his knowledge of the story.

What a disappointing show.

1) The style-of-speech killed the whole show. Why are the casts using modern casual Chinese in an ancient movie? which give a weird feeling. --> Failed

2) Zhuge Liang was not appropriately portrayed in this movie. He is a very “zai” person, but here he is a bit kiddo. Now, ZGL delivering a baby horse??? WTF? --> Failed

3) That Guan Yu cast, his voice sounds like some weird gu niang voice, and I didn’t know GY will ever toss his 青龍寳刀 and fight empty handed. -->Failed

4) The part where Zhang Fei dashed out empty-handed to fight the enemy ….Hmmm….Will a soldier ever fight empty-handed even when weapons are available to him??? -->Stupid

I think John Woo is only good for small time bang bang bang shows, he is not ready for a big epic like this one. Zhang Yimuo would do a better job.

To answer the question of the accuracy of the story. If you want the accurate version, please read 三國志, written by 陳壽 shortly after the fall of the Three Kingdoms. 三國演義 is the dramatized version which is roughly 30% fictional, and especially on the 赤壁 portion I heard 70% is made up. The best 三國 shows, that I had watched, until now is still the China production 三國演義 :thumbsup: though is not totally accurate, but at least the China production one got the ancient feel.

Its 青龍偃月刀

:confused:

I agree with DP that the movie is really a disappointment to fans.

Watch it if you had never read about ROTK.

While it is important to suit the modern ppl taste, the languages really sucks....

Its 青龍偃月刀

:confused:

I agree with DP that the movie is really a disappointment to fans.

Watch it if you had never read about ROTK.

i heard this Guan Yu fight on foot instead of riding his horse.

Its 青龍偃月刀

Yes! Precisely it is call 青龍偃月刀. However, there are controversies regarding the existence of this 青龍偃月刀 during that period and is believed to be fabricated by story-tellers. In 三國志, 陳壽 use the verb "stab" instead of "slash" or "hack" when describing GY in battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.