Recycle/Refresh rechargable li-ion or ni-cad batts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
just out of curiosity - is there any facilities/shops ard singapore dat takes in our dead rechargable batts (AA or otherwise) for recycling or refreshing? i guess most of us have plenty of rechargables lying ard. when they are 'dead', i guess its pretty hazardous to just dump them.

do share if u know of any shops or facilities? :)

Last time I remember IKEA (NiMH) and Nokia service centre do, but now no longer see any sign at Nokia service centre. Not sure now about IKEA though. And not sure about NiCad battery also. MAy be can ask NEA :dunno:

Yes. We need that kind of garbage bin. If we don't care about our environment, who else? It maybe too late if we concern about it later or 5 years from now (or worse, don't care at all).

Also, we know that blue silica gel is carcinogen. We should ban it (government I mean, we have no power), since there is alternative already that is non carcinogen (orange silica gel).

Regards,
Arto.

zcf said:
Last time I remember IKEA (NiMH) and Nokia service centre do, but now no longer see any sign at Nokia service centre. Not sure now about IKEA though. And not sure about NiCad battery also. MAy be can ask NEA :dunno:

i dun remember seeing any bins or counter at IKEA collecting batts anymore, when i was there late apr 06. :(

would be nice if someone can set up a collection point for discarded batts for us, cameramen/women. :)

maybe request Eastgear to do it? :)

i tink from a commercial perspective, one of the reasons why recycling of used batt is not implemented here is high cost of processing of such waste. given a significantly smaller population of battery usage, the cost to recover, separate and recycle the heavy metals per battery might be too high. SG is not really a large country that produces sufficient of such expended batteries to have economical recycling possible (compared to other larger countries such recycling facilities is commonplace in other countries).

Lenscapes said:
maybe request Eastgear to do it? :)

would be nice... but, to borrow user12343's point, wats in for them? to be fair, they are a commerical entity and not a charity.

however, it would be nice if there's some recycling point somewhere in town for batts only. sure beats throwing them down the hatch. :)

nightwolf75 said:
would be nice... but, to borrow user12343's point, wats in for them? to be fair, they are a commerical entity and not a charity.

however, it would be nice if there's some recycling point somewhere in town for batts only. sure beats throwing them down the hatch. :)
sad to say.. even if there is such a point in sg.. majority of s'poreans just cannot bother to do part for the environment if it requires any more effort than walking to the chute.

Such a batt recycling point will be good and I feel that it can only succeed if our gahmen is willing to pump in the dough for it. :think: which means taxpayers money..

In taiwan, the rubbish collector will refuse to collect your thrash if it isn't sorted into thrash and recyclables. You can get fined too.. Sg is just not doing enough for our environment.

eg: I've stopped taking plastic bags while shopping whenever i can but get 'comments' and 'remarks' from friends and colleagues around me. :dunno:
- "why so stupid save money for the shop"
- "why trouble yourself to hold with hand"

nightwolf75 said:

Whether commercial or private entity, if it doesn't take much to help conserve the environment I think it shouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.