Recycle bins useless?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
One one told me recycle bins are useless coz garbage truck comes, all emptied into the same place in the truck. True? Anyone working in the industry can comment?

One one told me recycle bins are useless coz garbage truck comes, all emptied into the same place in the truck. True? Anyone working in the industry can comment?

Who told you that? No offence, but sounds quite ignorant.

In my estate the truck that picks up recyclables is a different garbage truck. They only do clear the big blue bins and nothing else. Also, don't need to be working in the industry to know that it all eventually gets sorted at the plant. I don't think that makes it useless, but it is unproductive. But baby steps, hopefully we'll get there someday.

If the bins are the separated types you see in malls (paper/glass/plastics), it should be bagged. So even if emptied into the same truck, doesn't matter. It should also cut down the workload to a certain extent when sorting.

What does makes it useless are the idiots who throw in food waste, once the recyclables are contaminated, then everyone's effort gets wasted.

Mixed recyclables collected from households, offices and commercial premises are sorted at facilities operated by public and general waste collectors.

"Most of the local (facilities) are small-scale operations where sorting processes are performed manually. (This) is both expensive and time-consuming when handling large volumes of materials," it said in the documents for the waste management blueprint.

Residents and public waste collectors often complain that recyclables in the bins are contaminated by food, liquids and other wet waste. Entire truckloads of recyclables have been rejected, and the items incinerated instead.

Some of the larger waste collectors here have machines to sort the recyclables. They also employ people to visually inspect the separated waste and manually pick out items that do not belong.

However, the majority of the more than 100 licensed waste companies here are small firms where people have to manually sort all of the recyclables, said Ms Melissa Tan, chairman of the Waste Management and Recycling Association of Singapore.

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/manual-sorting-of-waste-trash-that-go-high-tech

0NBdfQH.png

http://www.nea.gov.sg/energy-waste/3rs/recycling-processes

Going by what public waste collectors tell The New Paper, Singapore adopts a "co-mingle" approach.

"In the past, Singapore adopted the practice of sorting out recyclables at source, but now with more efficient sorting facilities, we are moving towards co-mingling," said Veolia Environmental Services marketing and communication manager Christina Lee.

Sembcorp , one of the big four public waste collectors, also confirmed that it practises co-mingling.

Even if the recyclables are segregated, public waste collectors re-sort them as they often find contaminants such as food waste or other unsuitable material like tissue paper thrown in.

Typically, 20 to 30 per cent of items set aside for recycling are found unsuitable, a Sembcorp spokesman said.

http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120418-340603.html

Last edited:
Who told you that? No offence, but sounds quite ignorant.

In my estate the truck that picks up recyclables is a different garbage truck. They only do clear the big blue bins and nothing else. Also, don't need to be working in the industry to know that it all eventually gets sorted at the plant. I don't think that makes it useless, but it is unproductive. But baby steps, hopefully we'll get there someday.

If the bins are the separated types you see in malls (paper/glass/plastics), it should be bagged. So even if emptied into the same truck, doesn't matter. It should also cut down the workload to a certain extent when sorting.

What does makes it useless are the idiots who throw in food waste, once the recyclables are contaminated, then everyone's effort gets wasted.

http://www.nea.gov.sg/energy-waste/3rs/recycling-processes

Its true. There 2 types of recycleables ways. One is via the recycle chute located near to the common rubbish chute and another is the blue collection bin located at ground floor near to rubbish collection point.

The rubbish truck collects both the recycleables item and rubbish from both chute at the same time. From the article i read, is actually cheaper and cost effective for them to send all for inceneration then to separate the recycleable items.

On the other hand, the recycleable collection truck only picks up from the blue recycle bin for recycling.

It is important that before recycling, one would need to at least rinse the bottles or recycle items off any residue from food or drinks before recycling.

The rubbish truck collects both the recycleables item and rubbish from both chute at the same time. From the article i read, is actually cheaper and cost effective for them to send all for inceneration then to separate the recycleable items.

What a huge fail, why bother with building two chutes then :bsmilie: Which article? Please share :)

Singapore has never been serious about recycling. Period.

If no tree chop down anymore, I then believe we are going green else forget it, we going to be the hottest city in the world soon!

We can't even import electric car without paying ridiculous taxes. We became the laughing stock of the planet

We pride ourselves in always doing the right thing instead of what is popular: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/singapore/un-body-on-tesla/2589878.html

This CNA article didn't say we did the right thing.

The guy had to pay 15k tax for emission generated from electricity. And he can only charge it at home.

Wouldn't that be a double taxation?

What "right thing" are we doing?

Why not they be upfront and just admit that the 15k tax is actually the loss of govt petrol duty tax of the oil cartel we have in SG?

Its v easy to know the real intention of the 15k tax.

Average petrol cost of SG is 80~100 bucks a week for 40 litre tank. That's about 400 a month.

Current govt petrol tax rate is 64 cents per litre. So if u pump 40 litres each week, u paying $25 (based on 98 grade petrol price @ $2.10 per litre) for petrol tax. Every month, it will be $100 for petrol tax.

Multiple 12 months, u pay $1200 a year for petrol tax

Our car only has 10 year life span. So $1200 x 10 =$12000

So that's how LTA come out with $15000 emission tax. Its the loss of petrol tax if someone drives an electric car.

Utter rubbish '"emission" tax

Last edited:
Sometimes it is good to go and see for yourself how they handle recycle waste. Theory and truth are just quite different in real world. I can only tell you there are machine with human sorting out these waste. But not everything are recyclable and as effiecent. Waste in Singapore are generally still not properly sorted out and that make life difficult at the other end. Our waste are also wet.

Remember those days where we have 3 bins? Now you see a single bins for all recyclable waste. Why? We are doing our best but we are still far behind compared to Japan, Taiwan or even Hong Kong. This is a fact.