Recurring problem with sensor dust

tjack

Jul 17, 2010
Hi all....
I've been having a problem with sensor dust on my Nikon D60. I've already sent it for cleaning twice in the last 3 months, and within a month the problem is back! Very frustrating!

Any idea what I could be doing wrong that's causing the problem? Could humidity be a problem? I currently store my stuff in a drybox.

Send it back - are you using an electronic dry cabinet. If so make sure that RF is around 50. Also is it dust or oil from the camera. If oil then that would explain why dust keeps sticking to it.

Hi all....
I've been having a problem with sensor dust on my Nikon D60. I've already sent it for cleaning twice in the last 3 months, and within a month the problem is back! Very frustrating!

Any idea what I could be doing wrong that's causing the problem? Could humidity be a problem? I currently store my stuff in a drybox.

Do u change lens regularly?
I think the easiest way for sensor to contact dust will be during lens changing.
Got to be careful esp. changing lens in windy or dusty environment.
Some people recommending changing lens with camera body facing down to reduce the amount of dust entering the camera.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I change lenses regularly, and I do try and face the body downwards when I'm doing so.

In terms of learning to clean the sensor - I've basically been using the blower with the mirror locked up when necessary, but there always are one or 2 spots which don't get removed even with that.

magicdragon -- can you explain more about oil? Am currently using a drybox with silica gel or other dessicant. Typically only managing an average of 60 Rh

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I change lenses regularly, and I do try and face the body downwards when I'm doing so.

In terms of learning to clean the sensor - I've basically been using the blower with the mirror locked up when necessary, but there always are one or 2 spots which don't get removed even with that.

magicdragon -- can you explain more about oil? Am currently using a drybox with silica gel or other dessicant. Typically only managing an average of 60 Rh

are you changing your lens often when the wind is strong?
anyway, ~60rh, hmm.. isn't that the normal humidity in Singapore?

clearing of sensor is part & parcel of digital photography, you need to do it regularly.

check out the sensor clearing tutorial at the front page of ClubSnap, and also Youtube. pick a tool which most comfortable to you.

wdEvA - I don't particularly do it when it's windy. The 'normal Rh' seems to be 70-80% around here.

cathlights- Thanks for the tip! I'll study the tutorial(s).