Recovery of deleted data.

iczazache

Mar 11, 2010
North
www.flickr.com
Hi all,
I recently accidentally deleted a bunch of photos in raw format. After plowing through google, downloading every possible freeware to recover the data only to discover the CR2 file recovered is corrupted, I found the perfect freeware and i thought to share with CS-ers. Pardon me if i am not the first to post this.

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Hi all,
I recently accidentally deleted a bunch of photos in raw format. After plowing through google, downloading every possible freeware to recover the data only to discover the CR2 file recovered is corrupted, I found the perfect freeware and i thought to share with CS-ers. Pardon me if i am not the first to post this.

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

If you discover that you have data accidentally deleted, you ought to immediately shutdown the system. Immediately to the point of switch off the power plug. Once pointers to the data is removed from the file allocation table or other such data structure found in the file system, those data blocks are always ready for reuse.

There is not software out there no matter how good they are to recover information that are over-written, which is why you experience file recovered is corrupted, because most likely not all the data blocks are untouched.

Hope you find this information useful.

Thanks for the link, good to see some Open Source tools instead of the closed source tools that come with Ads and other crap (not all). Beside was David mentioned: if you are familiar with file system tools you can recover the file manually as well. Once I had an issue with an USB CF reader that screwed the FAT. Using chkdsk I could recover all files.
Think about your workflow. It is a good habit to make one step the first and mandatory for all images: upload to computer and create backup copy to a different media (other HDD, NAS, DVD, BD)

Great post. I must get this for standby!!! As we all know, whether we like it or not accidents DO happen. This will definitely come in handy.