Recovering jpegs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyl

Jul 31, 2002
Visit site
Hi, I've got a jpeg that is corrupted and wondering if anyone knows of a software that can recover the jpeg photo. The photo can be previewed in the thumbnail view in windows explorer. However, only the top half of the photo can be seen when opened with any photo viewer. Any solution? Thanks

HAve you tried a high end program such as photoshop or fireworks?

In what way is the jpeg corrupted? If you could post a sample of it we might be able to advise a better solution for you. :)

Garcia Lorca said:
In what way is the jpeg corrupted? If you could post a sample of it we might be able to advise a better solution for you. :)

Even further than that, you might want to post the damaged "original" file somewhere (unless you have privacy concerns). It would make it much easier for geek/hacker types to diagnose what the problem is, and based on the findings assess what can opr cannot be done. How some application displays the damaged file might not say a lot.

Thanks. Here's the photo I was talking abt. I've not opened it with photoshop cos dun have the program currently

Anyone has any suggestions?

wyl said:
Thanks. Here's the photo I was talking abt. I've not opened it with photoshop cos dun have the program currently

Anyone has any suggestions?

I have seen this many times before. Usually not something I shot but from downloading picture files. In your case, this is where not all the "parts" that make up this whole jpeg image has been downloaded and rejoin back together as one or while saving to disc, it lost part of it's data stream. When this happens, you get something like this. That is why it look like a line by line picture and it look like it stop half way.

If you want to do this effect, you can use basic notepad program to open a jpeg and you will see the data code that make up this picture. What you do is you selection the lower half of the data and erase it or erase some part in the middle..then you try to open it to view, you will get to see something similar to that. IT does not work all the time but if you pick the data stream at the right point it will come out like this. The blank parts are missing data needed to complete the shot. Without it your picture is lost or as you see it now.

the wierd thing is that the thumbnail preview can show the whole picture. So is the thumbnail preview stored in the jpeg file?

wyl said:
the wierd thing is that the thumbnail preview can show the whole picture. So is the thumbnail preview stored in the jpeg file?

Yes. That is, the thumbnail can be stored in the file (and frequently is), but it is not a requirement for JFIF files.

wyl said:

Its common practice for image management programs to cache thumbnail information of image files elsewhere... allows them to display the thumbnails of the images more quickly without having to read each file individually. So its likely that the thumbnail will still be displayed correctly even though the original is damaged (beyond repair)

Status
Not open for further replies.