Recording through optical viewfinder

madnugget

Feb 20, 2011
Hi guys, I have been searching the net to look for a solution: To output whatever is seen through an optical viewfinder.

I understand that this might be a weird question, given that most cameras have live view or connection interface ports, this should not be an issue. I am referring to a rangefinder/binocular equivalent kind of optical system. I have it mounted onto a system and it would be in an awkward position for a person to view through it, so I am wondering how is it possible to output it to an external display. I have seen quite a few videos on the net that they are able to film what is seen through the optical viewfinder. Is this through tethered shooting or there exist a camera that is able to fit into standard eyepieces?

Mods: sorry if this does not belong to this section.

Hi guys, I have been searching the net to look for a solution: To output whatever is seen through an optical viewfinder.

I understand that this might be a weird question, given that most cameras have live view or connection interface ports, this should not be an issue. I am referring to a rangefinder/binocular equivalent kind of optical system. I have it mounted onto a system and it would be in an awkward position for a person to view through it, so I am wondering how is it possible to output it to an external display. I have seen quite a few videos on the net that they are able to film what is seen through the optical viewfinder. Is this through tethered shooting or there exist a camera that is able to fit into standard eyepieces?

Just use another camera and tape it to the viewfinder... those cheap small spy cams comes to mind. You can find a lot of them in Mustafa or in SLS.

Yes. Binocular or telescope adaptors to interface a camera or a webcam are wildly available for such a purpose.

scaled.php