Recomposing after focussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIS1984

Dec 27, 2009
Hi all
Is there any problem if we do recompossing after we lock our focus?
bcoz I often use spot AF, thus after focussing to the subject in the middle of viewfinder, I always recompose again for better composition.
And I found my photo were out of focus.

Is it better if we just move the spot AF to desired location and dont change the composition?

Need help..many thanks

Hi all
Is there any problem if we do recompossing after we lock our focus?
bcoz I often use spot AF, thus after focussing to the subject in the middle of viewfinder, I always recompose again for better composition.
And I found my photo were out of focus.

Is it better if we just move the spot AF to desired location and dont change the composition?

Need help..many thanks
Of course your photo will be out of focus. You are doing it the opposite way. Should compose then shoot. Do you pop the pill 1st then drink water or drink water 1st then pop the pill?

Of course your photo will be out of focus. You are doing it the opposite way. Should compose then shoot. Do you pop the pill 1st then drink water or drink water 1st then pop the pill?

yeah..
because I heard that slightly moved the camera after locked is still ok
because sometimes quite difficult to put focus point to the desired location after we compose.
Especially if we want to put the focus near the edge.

Normally, how is your strategy?

do you have any reference that I can use to learn how to focus in different angle?

Hi KIS1984,

There should be no issue to recompose after pre-focus. Provided you selected single point for focusing (in your case centre point) and used ONE SHOT focus mode. Assuming you press button half way and hold while recomposing.

If you used All Point focusing or AlFocus or AlServo, then it will refocus while you recompose.
Youn can refer to the manual to confirm.

Hello, KIS1984.
Let me offer you my opinion on this issue.
If you are using a wide aperture say, of f/1.4 (or even f/1.8 or f/2.0) and your subject is near and/or you are using a lens of a longer focal length (e.g. 85mm), all these would create a shallow depth of field.
And if you lock focus and then recompose, you are certainly going to lose focus because you will be aiming at parts of the subject at different planes.

However, if your aperture is small at say f/8.0. Then it becomes not so crucial because then your DOF is deeper and if you recompose after locking focus, you can still get away with a sharp subject.

Thus, the real answer to your question is: it all depends on your DOF.
I hope this little tip helps because that is how I have been taught, and how I have learned it myself.

can you post the photo, it could be something else that only the photo can tell.

limhow is correct
if you are shooting shallow DOF, the focus(let's say u use centre)then recompose to put at the side, might be off because you have already moved certain cm.
It won't be noticeable if you are shooting ike f/4, 5.6 etc but definitely matters especially on very shallow dof llike 1.2,1.4

Heres another tip that I've learn't through experience.. If you are having trouble not having the proper spot af on the places you like them to be.. you can use the live view mode and manual focus to have a larger "viewfinder" effect. Of course you can also magnify the live view by pressing the + sign button.

it doesnt matter which way i pop the pill first then drink water, or drink water first then pop the pill. as long as i do not SWALLOW the water in my mouth after drinking (assuming drinking is an action to put water in your mouth) it, i get the same end results. This analogy is rather misleading.

I think its perfectly find to focus, recompose and shoot. but this will only work when the thing you focused on, and the subject are in the same plane of focus. this plane of focus will only get smaller with a wider aperture. but with a kit lens, i believe if the pre-focus is done right, its very easily done.

unless, to shoot a person 3-4m away, you focus on something towards infinity. you wil probably get something thats slightly OOF, which to me is a bigger pain in the ass, then having everything OOF.

A quick fix is to choose an AF point nearer to your subject, rather than sticking to the centre one.

Seems that there's more than meet the eye.. pls post the pic u spoke of for us to aid here better.. :)

Seems that there's more than meet the eye.. pls post the pic u spoke of for us to aid here better.. :)

This is the photo I spoke of

IMG_02191.JPG

f4.5 ; 1/3s ; focal length : 22mm ; use EFS 10-22 f/4.5 (I cropped it)

Many thanks Bro!

Last edited:

IMG_02191.JPG

Many thanks Bro!

Looks like handshake, because nothing is really sharp or in focus in the picture

Might not be an AF issue, 1/3s may be too long for you to hold it steady enough.

Should raise the ISO to 800 for indoor shoots so that your shutter speed will increase. I think the noise level at iso800 is still reasonable as any picture that is blur means you cannot get back that image.

I think its perfectly find to focus, recompose and shoot. but this will only work when the thing you focused on, and the subject are in the same plane of focus. this plane of focus will only get smaller with a wider aperture. but with a kit lens, i believe if the pre-focus is done right, its very easily done.

Oh, I'm sorry, I've misread TS's question & answered too quickly. Yes, you are right. My fault :embrass: :kok:

this is not out of focus.

definitely handshake.

1/3second, i cant even do that till now.

best that i ever did was 1/10 second without VR. at 1/3 second, sure to get handshake.

1/3seconds at 22mm without IS is not quite possible. This is more of handshake than OOF.

Try to pump up the ISO. Better to get an in focus and grainy picture than a not so grainy but OOF picture.

IMG_02191.JPG

Many thanks Bro!

Adjust your ISO till you get shutter speed of 1/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.