Recommnd a flash unit for a beginner.

ducky88

Apr 22, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi bros n sisters, I wanted to explore further with my dslr with the help of speedlite. Can recommend me a flash that suit beginner. Am currently looking at Yongnuo 560. As it is manual all I had to do is just adjust the power? Please enlighten me. Thank you.

P.S: using Nikon system.

Last edited:
I personally will not recommend manual flash like YN560.. I believe YN have some iTTL flash products.

SkyStrike said:
I personally will not recommend manual flash like YN560.. I believe YN have some iTTL flash products.

Ic. Can introduce me some flash. See guide of choosing a flash. But personally I always change my flash power of my built in flash.

Althought i am a newbie in photography i got a YN-565 and loving it till now.

I would not recommend 3rd party flashes for a beginner. 3rd party flash is good for Strobist work for an advanced hobbyist maybe, but for a first flash, I would stay with the camera brand.

Staying with the camera brand will reduce many possible frustration and confusion of a beginner. If you are on Nikon, I suggest the SB700 pre-owned.

Agree with sjackal. Not recommended for newbies to venture into manual flash photography as you need to know what you're doing, both with exposure and flash settings.

Furthermore, why not utilise the TTL capability that has been granted to you? You still can pick up proper metering techniques with it and churn out properly-lit shots. Further down the road, when you have gained the proficiency of judging the required/desired power output on your own accurately, then just switch the flashgun to manual mode.

Like sjackal suggested, a pre-owned SB-700 would be a good choice, unless you are really on a shoestring budget here.

Bros who introduce me sb-700. Thank you. The clubsnap market currently hardly spot any seller selling their sb700 away.

Sorry using iPhone can't do a multi quote here.

Nissin Di622?

Bros who introduce me sb-700. Thank you. The clubsnap market currently hardly spot any seller selling their sb700 away.

Sorry using iPhone can't do a multi quote here.

Can :) Who says iPhone cannot multi-quote? ;)
When you press the 'down-arrow', you'll see 'Share' 'Report' 'Quote'. On the extreme left is a white box. Press on it and the selected post becomes yellow. Do that for the another post which you want to multi-quote. Once satisfied, press the button at the top-right and select 'multi-quote reply'... voila!

SB700 still quite new in the market. User interface seems nice, but price not so nice :)

ZerocoolAstra said:
Can :) Who says iPhone cannot multi-quote? ;)
When you press the 'down-arrow', you'll see 'Share' 'Report' 'Quote'. On the extreme left is a white box. Press on it and the selected post becomes yellow. Do that for the another post which you want to multi-quote. Once satisfied, press the button at the top-right and select 'multi-quote reply'... voila!
)

LOL!! I had wanted to learn about acquiring a flash unit too! But realised this "advice" is the best! Haha!!

no shops still selling first hand SB 700 anymore? most 2nd hand sold in the session.

Some of the 2nd hand units are as good as first hand. Invest in 2nd hand units first, until you really know what you want. :D No point investing in expensive stuffs then in the end it will only be resting in your dry cabinet.

Yes I using canon.. So far ettl works fine for me, and the easywireless function is a breeze as well. However, one thing about the 565 is the size lol.. Its a bit too big , unless u dont mind the size + weight.

what to check when buying 2nd hand flash?

Most important is to check your fortune, whether you have good luck or not ;)

jokes aside, most of it is common sense I suppose.
- check for any damage that indicates it may have been dropped
- check for functionality (encompasses many aspects and depends on what features the flash has)

I am also rather new to external flash units, but I recently acquired the SB600 on the Classifieds. I am loving it so far! :)

If you are looking for flashes on the Classifieds, the SB600 seems to pop out quite often every now and then. :)