Recommened F stop

hamburger

Jun 19, 2011
Hi seniors,

I'm using a nikon 50mm 1.4 to take portrait shots. Apparently due to being 1.4 F stop other parts of the face features are blurish. This happen most of the time when I'm taking 2 ppl at the same time. What F stop will you guys recommend me to use?

Thanks

Hi seniors,

I'm using a nikon 50mm 1.4 to take portrait shots. Apparently due to being 1.4 F stop other parts of the face features are blurish. This happen most of the time when I'm taking 2 ppl at the same time. What F stop will you guys recommend me to use?

Thanks

At 50mm f/1.4 the DOF is razor thin, especially when you're taking head-and-shoulder portraits. If you're taking a single person with f/1.4, you need to make sure both of the subject's eyes are about the same distance from the focal plane, otherwise one will be in focus while the other not. In fact for head-and-shoulder even f/2.8 will most of the time be too large, and I normally use f/4 or smaller. For 2 persons, you'll most probably need f/5.6 and smaller to give more allowance, and again you'll need to make sure they are about the same distance from the focal plane. For full body you can usually open up 1 stop (i.e. about f/2.8 for 1 person & f/4 for 2).

Last edited:
Hi seniors,

Thanks

Please read your manual. The section on "aperture" described depth of field too. Next, read the newbies guides to photography here on CS.

Hi seniors,

Thanks

As what other has suggested, read more on aperture and DOF yourself first...

Second, it is really difficult to answer your question when none of us have any idea what is your environment when taking those pics... lighting (good, bad, dark, very bright, bright, etc), where your subjects are standing, what position - was it that 1 was infront and one behind or next to each other. And if it was one infront and one behind - how far away are they from each other.

And we do not know your set up... do you have any flash, offshoe or on camera?

So it is not possible to give you a f-stop accurately.

Bro do read up more on e basic. There's no magic number or auto mode in CS that can be given to u.

Reason being, only u know wat u are trying to achieve in your photo. Try to experiment on changing the aperture and see the results. There's no shortcut in learning how to handle a SLR.

I agree with AdyH. Go to a workshop or class on the basics at least. It is probably worth the investment. It is not that I think we don't want to teach but it is pretty limited on what we can do here if you don't understand the basics.

Hi seniors,

Thanks

Suggest to try to make sure they are roughly in the same plane of focus, and stop down a bit, i.e. F/2.8-F/4...

What is in focus materializes in "slices" parallel to your camera's sensor... So doing both of the above shoud help.

P.S. Besides, 50mm f/1.4 is unlikely to be at its sharpest wide open.

Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.

Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.

??????????

Sorry, would be please, please read up about the very basics before posting such gibberish? The links provided above are a good starting point for you to spend time instead of reviving weeks-old threads. I remember this is not the first time ...

Octarine said:
Sorry, would be please, please read up about the very basics before posting such gibberish? The links provided above are a good starting point for you to spend time instead of reviving weeks-old threads. I remember this is not the first time ...

Haha he has been trolling with info like this since long ago

HUH??? Please lah, you resurrect a 4-week old thread and then post nonsense. Don't try to confuse newbies, they may actually fall for this nonsense.

Hi, What's wrong and I note what you say. Let others see and judge

Last edited:
Seriously I dunno what's Henry is talking about. Anyone mind to help translate it?

henry soh said:

You either have a PhD in digital photography or we are too stupid to understand what u talking about......

Can explain in layman terms?

wah "jin chim ah"

Hi, What's wrong and I note what you say. Let others see and judge

Your explanation would only vaguely begin to be relevant to the topic if the aperture was the microlens size on the sensor. It's not, therefore what you said is basically salad.

If you want a breakdown:

Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP.

No, there is ZERO relation to the aperture range of a lens and the MP/sensor size.

Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor.

No, there is no relation. A 50mm f/1.4 is still a 50mm f/1.4 whether for aps-c, FF or film.

For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc

This comment on diffraction is probably the only relatively correct thing you've said, but has almost no link to the topic or the rest of your word salad. ;)

You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.

Nope, there is no relation to aperture fine-tuning an image based on pixel size. Totally "way out there".