recommended top 3 lens to buy for newbies

Johnbon

Oct 4, 2011
Just want to know which lens should i get especially for newbies. I got the 18-105 and the 35mm f1.8 lens.

top 3? wouldnt that be the trinity lenses? not sure if you pocket is deep enough

Johnbon said:
Just want to know which lens should i get especially for newbies. I got the 18-105 and the 35mm f1.8 lens.

Usually these kind of question leads to multiple lens (or other photography equipments) and very empty pockets. The kit lens is more than sufficient to start. Anything else should be complement along the way when u really need it.

For newbies, I would not recommend the "trinity"... Simply HEAVY and PRICEY... If you don't know what you're getting into, you'll probably not know what you can do with them.

By newbies, I meant beginners who have yet understood the basic photography concepts, etc, etc. Best is to take your time with what you have currently until you're really ready for them.

FYI, current "trinity":
14-24/2.8
24-70/2.8
70-200 VR II/2.8

If you carry all of them in one go, your back will also go... ;o)

If you have time, pay a visit to Nikon Service Center to try the lenses (including the abovementioned "trinity") out. You'll get to feel their real weight. If you have $$$$ to spend, be prepared to set aside close to 8-9K for all 3.

Last edited:
thks for explaining the 'trinity' lens. really $$$$

if you don't know what lens you need then just save the money or buy your girl / wife a diamond ring will do :)

thks for explaining the 'trinity' lens. really $$$$

They are really $$$$ is because they are well built (weather sealed), fastest and sharpest of their class. Nikon gave an all-out effort into these lenses which are more meant for people who make a real living through photography (weddings, events, sports, etc). Quality glasses cut short the time needed to process the images (debatable of course) and time is $$$$ afterall.

The prime lovers will have their own version of 'trinity' made up probably of latest f/1.4 prime lenses... ;o) (which are also not cheap either...)

Last edited:
my choice
Tokina11-16 2.8
nikon 35mm 1.8 / sigma 30mm 1.4
tamron 90mm 2.8 /nikon 105mm 2.8

my choice
Tokina11-16 2.8
nikon 35mm 1.8 / sigma 30mm 1.4
tamron 90mm 2.8 /nikon 105mm 2.8

U actually own all these lenses?

They are really $$$$ is because ... which are more meant for people who make a real living through photography ...

Or for rich gear head with a huge epeen to fulfill...

Of cos what kriegsketten said is definitely right, just that i happened to see more gear heads than photographers...

If you are on DX system, these two no horse run....2nd and 3rd prize last draw...Huat Ah!!!

huat.jpg

Last edited:
Or for rich gear head with a huge epeen to fulfill...

Of cos what kriegsketten said is definitely right, just that i happened to see more gear heads than photographers...

I better check if my head is shaped like a gear or not... :embrass:

But frankly... TS has not mentioned why he needs the top 3 lenses for... I thought one should know what he/she wants to shoot first, then decide on what's the best lens to recommend based on budget? Hmmm.... odd...
Ergo, if I'm not into portraiture or macro, I wonder how is 105 VR going to be good for me?

kriegsketten said:
But frankly... TS has not mentioned why he needs the top 3 lenses for... I thought one should know what he/she wants to shoot first, then decide on what's the best lens to recommend based on budget? Hmmm.... odd...
Ergo, if I'm not into portraiture or macro, I wonder how is 105 VR going to be good for me?

Exactly my point. Complement when need. Not buy all out right from the start (when one barely know how to the gear)

Since TS is on DX. My recommendations for top 3 newbie lenses are:

Tokina 11-16/2.8
Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC
Nikon 55-300 VR
If got budget, add 35/1.8G (if shoot more general stuff) or 50/1.8G (if shoot more portraits)

Since TS is on DX. My recommendations for top 3 newbie lenses are:

Tokina 11-16/2.8
Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC
Nikon 55-300 VR
If got budget, add 35/1.8G (if shoot more general stuff) or 50/1.8G (if shoot more portraits)

TS has the 35/1.8G already! ;)

Actually I got 18-105 for day time shots when go for holiday at end of year. The 35mm f1.8 I got it cos understand it is useful
for night shots