Recommended Shop selling camera

sadper

Apr 18, 2012
Hi all.

Would like to check on 1 information. Recently someone told me that if i buy high end camera from those small shop like cathay or ms color, their set is import and some warrently may not be valid.

is this true ?
If so which shop can i get the camera that has the full cover warrant ly.

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

1) Be careful with sweeping statements. Cathay and MS Color are established shops and they have sold local warranty sets for many years. So be careful what 'someone' is telling you.
2) Ask the shops and check the warranty they offer. Local warranty comes with the card from Canon Singapore. Shops will ask you to register the warranty online after the initial period of 7 days during which the shop offers 1:1 exchange for any faults.
3) For local sets, Canon Service Center will be your contact for everything. For grey / import sets, typically the shops will ask you to get back to them always and they will handle it, somehow.

Last edited:
see their facebook page can liao, no need to take someone elses word as your only point of reference

theres a reason their reviews are stellar, 4.5 stars ... 5 stars

sorry, I wet myself and the laptop when I was drinking water and read this "small shop". My latest purchase of camera body was made at MS Color.

TS: if size matters to you, feel free to drop by the big shops (Challenger, Courts) and see their offers.
Likely it will be the RRP or there about, on top of which the staff will try to put their 'warranty packs' for clumsy people.

sorry, I wet myself and the laptop when I was drinking water and read this "small shop". My latest purchase of camera body was made at MS Color.

sorry about that. Small shop because 'John 316' close over night so i am thinking ms color only have 2 outlet while cathay photo have quite a few shop but all shop quote differently. I bought my camera from ms color too but recently someone pop me a question. "why are these shop selling so much cheaper?" so the export set will be able to do it much cheaper than RRP.

correct me please?

sorry about that. Small shop because 'John 316' close over night so i am thinking ms color only have 2 outlet while cathay photo have quite a few shop but all shop quote differently. I bought my camera from ms color too but recently someone pop me a question. "why are these shop selling so much cheaper?" so the export set will be able to do it much cheaper than RRP.

correct me please?

There is room to maneuver between RRP and the actual costs with local warranty. MS Color, Cathay and the others use this room while Courts and others are bound to certain prices. Export sets are significantly below that.

correct me please?

Not only camera, some of the electrical appliances in some "small shops" may also has lower price compare to the big shop.
(With local warranty)

Now I only go to Big shops or those IT/PC show if I wanted to look for old model camera gear. As most of time the smaller shop may no longer has the old model.

correct me please?

Sorry, my bad.

In my opinion, I believe the overheads for these small shops is lower so they are able to sell at a lower margin unless bounded by retail pricing from the OEM or distributors.

The big shops may have larger overheads so there is some kind of standard pricing across all the shops.
I usually buy obsolete older bodies from big shops when they do clearance sales.

so in summary, I would say It depends.

:D

I personally only buy my equipment from tkfoto, but Cathay should be pretty reputable as well (they've been around for ages, though I don't go there often cuz no lobang). If you are buying do remember to drop them an email quote first, shop quoted prices are sometimes a little higher so it's best to check and compare prices.

That being said, if you don't mind the price and want to be absolutely certain it's a local set, just buy directly from manufacturer. I know Canon has their own online store, or you can just buy from challenger or courts, though their prices are slightly higher as well.

I guess i understand what u all are saying. I cannot depend on one person saying.

That been said that there are some bad apple ard so change oit thinking. Thanks all for the comments

I guess i understand what u all are saying. I cannot depend on one person saying.

That been said that there are some bad apple ard so change oit thinking. Thanks all for the comments

Cathay, TK Foto, MS Color are all specialty shops for photo equipment. Challenger, Courts are 'electronics' supermarkets. You are unlikely to find top-end or latest photo and video equipment at Challenger, Courts.

All are reputable - Cathay has been in business for 50 years - and all are authorised dealers for the major photo and video brands. Some are also distributors e.e. TK Foto for Sirui tripods, Think Tank bags.

Because of their generally higher sales volumes and smaller shop space, they are able to survive on lower margins, and therefore lower prices.

In doubt, always ask if this is local warranty set. I am sure any decent shop with the minimal service will tell you upfront. Have not been shopping all that much but I do know artworkfoto brings in export set cameras which are cheaper. In asking prices, do check if those quotes include GST. Alan Photo has a habit of NOT including GST in prices quoted verbally to you so you have to make that mental calculation.

correct me please?

"so much cheaper"? Really, you need to see the actual prices of export sets... check http://www.technogadgets.com.sg/ for example.