Recommended Portrait lens for Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayBach

Jun 5, 2008
Hi Newbie here...

Apart from my nikkor 50mm/f1.8 lens, what other lens would you recommend for portrait?

1. AF 85mm/f1.4 D IF or AF 105/f2D DC?
2. Is AF 85mm/f1.8 D already good enough for newbie like me?

Thank you.:embrass:

Try the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Very versatile!

upppzz for tamron 17-50MM

50mm f1.4

No lens, better get experience. Shoot, shoot, shoot! Then you'll see what you really need. Rent a lens for a weekend to see if it fits your needs.

i used 50mm/f1.8

All of the above works great.
Of course good feedback on bokeh IQ from the 85mm 1.4 / 105mm DC

Ryan

Hi Newbie here...

Apart from my nikkor 50mm/f1.8 lens, what other lens would you recommend for portrait?

1. AF 85mm/f1.4 D IF or AF 105/f2D DC?
2. Is AF 85mm/f1.8 D already good enough for newbie like me?

Thank you.:embrass:

IMHO the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 is sufficiently good for portraits. Unless you dun mind paying much more for lenses with better sharpness, excellent bokeh and colours. Why not shoot a little more and enjoy the process before deciding on getting more lenses? :)

The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 suggested earlier on is quite good. Good value for money :)

Last edited:
Actually for portraits, I'd reccomend the longer focal length of 28-75 Tamron... Too wide, you'd probably get distortions...

For most portrait shooters, they would start around 24mm onwards. 50mm for approx. half body shots, 85 for a head and shoulders, 135 onwards if you have room to work with...

a BIG THANKS to all...I really appreciate your advise.

No lens, better get experience. Shoot, shoot, shoot! Then you'll see what you really need. Rent a lens for a weekend to see if it fits your needs.

Hi. Where can i rent lenses because i'm a newbie and i really don't want to end up buying a lens that does not fit my needs..

Any lens is a portrait lens. Wide angle, standard, medium telephoto or super telephoto. All are lenses you use to capture portraits and all perform as they are made. It is you that make the portrait look nice. The lens is only in charge of allowing light to fall onto your camera sensor.

i remember i read somewhere that a better focal range for potrait si somewhere at 50mm and max to 70mm around there. i can't find the source.. sorry...

For portrait, I'll recommend the 50mm f1.8. The bokeh is what you want in your portrait shots.

For flexibility portrait, meaning you take people and sometimes scenery (Especially during travel), I'll recommend the nikon 16-50 f.28

I am for the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Versatile as most would say.

both tamron 17-50 f2.8 and 28-75 f2.8 will be good. Dont worry so much about distortion, distortion on the 17-50 is quite well controlled IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.