Recommended Models - 3.2MP/4.0MP Cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

qristeele

Oct 26, 2003
Visit site
Hi All:

I'm planning to get a new digicam for myself. Looking at those with 3.2MP/4.0MP. Will be using it for normal occasions, night shots, (all-weather would be a plus point), etc.

What are the good models to recommend for the above? Appreciate your inputs! :love1:

canon eos 1D.

I am considering G2 and G3 actually. But those two are kinda bulky. And maybe also the Olympus C-Series. Budget-wise, I'm pretty flexible.

Actually... the A70 matches all your requirements, and of all, I'm pretty sure it matches your budget as well.

Hmmm.. my budget's anything under $1K. A70 is a good choice but when I think about it, it serves more like a point-and-shoot kinda function. Prefer getting something where I can play around with and change the lens, etc. :embrass:

Do u guys think the Olympus C730 is a good model to consider? Any idea how much a brand-new one is selling in the market? Thanks! *smiles*

Change lense? Then get a DSLR! :devil:

A70 also quite good, with manual controls and can change lense, add an adapter tube, u can change to WA and tele. :)

qristeele said:
Hmmm.. my budget's anything under $1K. A70 is a good choice but when I think about it, it serves more like a point-and-shoot kinda function. Prefer getting something where I can play around with and change the lens, etc. :embrass:

Do u guys think the Olympus C730 is a good model to consider? Any idea how much a brand-new one is selling in the market? Thanks! *smiles*

Though i'm not using A70, it is definate not a point and shoot. It proberbly has more functions then my 717.

But you might wanna consider also the sony V1 which cost about 1K. Much smaller then a G2/G3, and still a darn cool camera.

btw, i pm you regarding you F7.

OT first...
AJ23 :hammer: U teach bad people ah u... :nono:

back to topic
Change lens? Hmm there are a few DSLRS on sale in Buy/Sell, PM thoa_rs, he's selling his D30. There are also a few F80s for sale in Buy/Sell also, consider them, they can give you a nice learning curve and also chance to experience SLR systems. 1K for a new DSLR system is impossible, but for SLR, is definitely possible :D

The EOS3000v, 300v, 300 also can be had for less then 1K, one of the models also come with 75-300 lens :)

Hmmm.. u guys are making me see stars!

A DSLR per say is too 'complex' for me. :embrass: Already have a Canon EOS SLR and it never fails to make my head spin as I spin the lens. ;)

Got an offer for the Olympus C-730. Wondering if I shld grab it..

poon: i've replied to ur PM.

qristeele said:
Hmmm.. u guys are making me see stars!

A DSLR per say is too 'complex' for me. :embrass: Already have a Canon EOS SLR and it never fails to make my head spin as I spin the lens. ;)

Got an offer for the Olympus C-730. Wondering if I shld grab it..

poon: i've replied to ur PM.

if u dun mind 2nd hand, why not go for S602z? there are a couple of ppl selling their 602s here.

Why no body suggest Fujifilm S5000?
Price $799, comes with 10x optical zoom (37mm to 370mm), 16mB free + another 128M free XD memory, free Finepix tripod - nice black, free camera bag that fits the S5000, also a free notebook haversack, and last but not least a free lens cleaner. Price is also dropping for 128m XD, can get for $90 or less for 128MB. 3.2 Megapixel. Good enough. Feels good, just like a SLR camera body and yet compact. I love the body. Very good feel. Cheers :bsmilie: Can use the remaining budget to buy a Teleconverter 1.5x Fuji to get to 555mm or a Fuji Wide angle to get to 30mm and some close up filter +4 x 2. Total slightly more than 1.2k if all new. Definitely less than 1k if buy 2nd hand TC and WA. :bigeyes:

Trigeek said:
Why no body suggest Fujifilm S5000?
Price $799, comes with 10x optical zoom (37mm to 370mm), 16mB free + another 128M free XD memory, free Finepix tripod - nice black, free camera bag that fits the S5000, also a free notebook haversack, and last but not least a free lens cleaner. Price is also dropping for 128m XD, can get for $90 or less for 128MB. 3.2 Megapixel. Good enough. Feels good, just like a SLR camera body and yet compact. I love the body. Very good feel. Cheers :bsmilie: Can use the remaining budget to buy a Teleconverter 1.5x Fuji to get to 555mm or a Fuji Wide angle to get to 30mm and some close up filter +4 x 2. Total slightly more than 1.2k if all new. Definitely less than 1k if buy 2nd hand TC and WA. :bigeyes:

Sometimes we must not only see the good part only. It may have 37 - 370mm but the xD card is much expensive byte to byte compared to compact flash.

OK, do not look down on A70, it has pretty much manual functions, and produce very decent pictures too for $500++. One bad thing is that close up pictures may be bad with the use of lense adapter + close up lense. The right lower corner will be dark as the adapter somehow blocks the flash. Other than the flash problem, shooting in daylight will not be a problem for A70, not sure of darker/indoor shoot.

Agreed that byte to byte Xd is more expensive than CF but price now is close to SD. Also, I forgot to add that saving speed is faster in Xd. And of course, all the manual functions you need is available with the fuji S5000 or the upcoming Fuji S7000. ;)

Trigeek said:
Agreed that byte to byte Xd is more expensive than CF but price now is close to SD. Also, I forgot to add that saving speed is faster in Xd. And of course, all the manual functions you need is available with the fuji S5000 or the upcoming Fuji S7000. ;)

I am not sure about the S5000, but I have seen quite a number of reports indicating that XD is noticably slower than CF cards. Might want to confirm that...... And these cameras are not exactly small.....

AJ23 said:
Change lense? Then get a DSLR! :devil:

A70 also quite good, with manual controls and can change lense, add an adapter tube, u can change to WA and tele. :)

How big can a 3MP cam blow a pic?? A1??

eosslr said:
How big can a 3MP cam blow a pic?? A1??
I have done A2 using 3MP and it turned out pretty alright - but I think it's about the max.

qristeele, I would strongly recommend the Canon G series if you want control and possibly of external flash which you can use with your EOS SLR as well.

And I am totally agreeable with CompactFlash being the way to go. The other types of memory cards are simply too expensive and exclusive in terms of usage.

The other I would recommend is Nikon Coolpix series if you are going for control.

Status
Not open for further replies.