Recommended media to store digital photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzloo

Feb 28, 2008
Hi All, What is the recommended media to store digital photos, ie. after taking photos, do I store them on my hard disk, external hard disk, CD or DVD? Would be nice also to know how people catalog their photos. Thanks.

I would think a reliable storage option is to have redundancy in data storage. U can keep a copy of the dvd in a harddisk or something.

Both DVDrs and Harddisk have their pros and cons.
Harddisks are getting cheaper and cheaper by the Gigabyte and easier to access and certainly catalogue.

I backup two copies of DVD and burn by the date and label the location and abit of details in the dvd album, one of which i use, the other to store for good. Not too easy to access though. DVD can be unreliable at times in data integrity ( even though u do verification and stuffs ) and is not exactly archival. I am looking into bigger harddisk for storage as well

As media progresses one can re-duplicate information from the previous dvds ( into Bluerays for example )

Ryan

I wouldnt archive on DVDs or CD's anymore. They will be obsolete in a few years time. Your best bet is to store them on external hardrives. So affordable these days anyway, will be cheaper than DVDs in the long run and far less time consuming. Also, takes up less space!

but if wanna play safe, can have extra backups on DVDs mah.... there is also RAID.. where ur hard disk is cloned by another.. so if the either fail, got backup...

I'm looking for an efficient way to back-up my files onto my external HDD, but don't really like Windows XP backup utility, because (i think) it creates a .bkf file which I will then need to restore in order to get the files.

I also use my external HDD to copy files to my laptop or to another PC, so therefore I would prefer the files to be in a standard windows file format, i.e. files stored as they are (jpg, mp3, etc.)

Now I'm doing the drag and drop manually, which still works QUITE ok since I don't take huge amounts of photos. But I'm looking for a better way of course. Any suggestions?
Something where I can choose to back-up a specific folder; the software then compares the folder on the source and destination, and only adds the files which have not already been copied. That would be ideal I think.

I'm looking for an efficient way to back-up my files onto my external HDD, but don't really like Windows XP backup utility, because (i think) it creates a .bkf file which I will then need to restore in order to get the files.

I also use my external HDD to copy files to my laptop or to another PC, so therefore I would prefer the files to be in a standard windows file format, i.e. files stored as they are (jpg, mp3, etc.)

Now I'm doing the drag and drop manually, which still works QUITE ok since I don't take huge amounts of photos. But I'm looking for a better way of course. Any suggestions?
Something where I can choose to back-up a specific folder; the software then compares the folder on the source and destination, and only adds the files which have not already been copied. That would be ideal I think.
u just dug out a thread that is 1/2 yr ago, anyway u can try this not feature-rich, but its free and easy to use

but if wanna play safe, can have extra backups on DVDs mah.... there is also RAID.. where ur hard disk is cloned by another.. so if the either fail, got backup...

if one got corrupted, not failed, so do the other :think:

Hi All, What is the recommended media to store digital photos, ie. after taking photos, do I store them on my hard disk, external hard disk, CD or DVD? Would be nice also to know how people catalog their photos. Thanks.

I have it in harddisk and DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.