Recommended Lens For Taking Fireworks.

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi everyone,I am still a noob in fireworks photograph...I have tried taking fireworks during last year's NDP rehearsal & the actual NDP.& thru Youtube's tutorial video,i tried to follow suit but i tell you...it's not easy to take fireworks at all.For mi,i usually tilt my camera at about a 45 deg angle & fixed it there plus a remote.Though i have tried shooting on 4-5 occasions,I must admit that i am not really satisfied with the end product.Hereby,I would like to seek advice or suggestions from the seniors or mods on which is the preferred lens,wat aperture & shutter speed (I am using a 60D).My area of shooting is usually next to the Merlion Park,facing MBS.Hope to get some constructive help & advice.Thank You!

Use whatever lens gives the field of view that you require. Important is technique. Have a look into the Night Photography section, feel free to use the Search function (upper right hand) to search for firework (you are not alone with your idea).

it depends on what you wanna have in your frame. if you are at the Merlion, and you wan to have MBS at the background u will need a ultra wide angle lens say 12mm - 24mm (taking into consideration of your crop factor)

Im using 24mm on my FF

As many grumpy ppl here will tell you (go trail and error yourself, there is not magic number as every1 have their preferred setting)
And since im not grumpy i'll share with you my setting.
1) Im using the black card method so i can choose what fire works to fit in my frame.
(Bad point about this method is you might get to many firework in 1 frame then you bargain for)

2) usually my aperture will be at f11 - f16

3) as im using the black card method my shutter is on bulb mode.

Things to take note if you are on bulb mode. once you set the aperture tt you want, meter the surround and adjust the shutter speed accordingly. so you might have 30sec, 20sec or 15sec shutter speed. Then use that reading to count how long your black card has to open.

Example:
For me to use F16 and to get the correct exposure of the back ground is 20sec so this will be how I open my black card
1st firework open my black card for 3sec (left wit 17sec)
2nd firework open my black card for 5sec (left with 12 sec)
3rd firework open my black card for 6 sec (left with 6sec)
4th firework open my black card for 4 sec (left with 2 sec)

Hope this helps

Hi everyone,I am still a noob in fireworks photograph...I have tried taking fireworks during last year's NDP rehearsal & the actual NDP.& thru Youtube's tutorial video,i tried to follow suit but i tell you...it's not easy to take fireworks at all.For mi,i usually tilt my camera at about a 45 deg angle & fixed it there plus a remote.Though i have tried shooting on 4-5 occasions,I must admit that i am not really satisfied with the end product.Hereby,I would like to seek advice or suggestions from the seniors or mods on which is the preferred lens,wat aperture & shutter speed (I am using a 60D).My area of shooting is usually next to the Merlion Park,facing MBS.Hope to get some constructive help & advice.Thank You!

Actually there is no golden figures here. It all depends on the situation. There is also no preferred lens, aperture and shutter speed...

The last firework photoshoot I have been to, I use a Tokina 12-24mm, the previous one, I use a Sigma 17-70mm, and all of them give me good result. The only way to improve is to shoot more.

It depends on the fireworks itself and where you stand. NDP combined rehearsals are a good chance to practice since the fireworks will be the same. For me, I usually start at a setting (manual mode) where I have room to maneuver in terms of exposure that means ISO200 (room to go 100 or 400), f/11 (room to go f/8 or f/16) as an example. I find exposures from the initial burst will be very different as it progresses towards the finale due to the changes in intensity, pacing and increasing amount of smoke in the air.

No fixed rules here. Maybe gut feel.

In general, I use wide angles (anything from 10mm - 17mm on Nikon DX format), base ISO (ISO 200 for my then Nikon D70 and D300s), and aperture of about f/11. The variable component is generally the shutter speed, although I do change the aperture and ISO when I see fit.

i used a sigma 8-16 UWA. Very nice wide angle though abit of distortion.