Recommended Lens for Indoor Portrait shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrox

Jun 23, 2008
Hi Everyone,
I am still new to photography and would like to try out new lens aside from the Kit lens I have for my CANON 450D camera.
Would any of you could give some advice and recommendations?

I would like lens meant mostly for Indoor Portrait shooting.

Thanks a lot!

50mm f1.8
Cheap, good, sharp & lovely bokeh! :)

Get a 50mm prime lens, the version depends on your budget.

EF 50/1.2L then don't need to think about getting better next time :bsmilie:. Realistically though, the 50/1.4 USM is the best of the 50 Prime range I think in terms of value and performance. The other alternative to the 50/1.4 USM is the 85/1.8 USM which has a more solid build compared to the 50/1.4 USM and for just S$10 more.

ahh do note how big of a area indoor you have. 50mm on a crop sensor will probably need a few meters for full body shot. 85mm will need even more. but in the end just pick the one you can use best. personally its 50 1.4 for me.

Last edited:
haha 50mm f1.8 II definitely for me... value for money... won't be able to get a lens twice as good with twice its price =D

If your budget allows, I'd recommend 24-70 f2.8L.

Is your shots full body shots?

If so, 85mm might be too long for your purpose indoors.

50mm or 85mm depends on how u want to compose and take your subject. But for portraitures, 50mm or 85mm are your best bet. Alternatively, u can consider the 24-70 or 70-200 series. U will also have to increase your budget.

Mind if I pop in and ask something...?

Is the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM worth the money? Since its more expensive than the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM :dunno:

Mind if I pop in and ask something...?

Is the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM worth the money? Since its more expensive than the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM :dunno:

I've not tried the Sigma one but it's the first time i heard that 3rd party is more expensive than original of the equivalent type.

I still recommend original.

yeah it would depend on your studio/home settings though.
50mm f1.8 personally is good. :)

I have the 50mm f/1.8. Find it fast, sharp and good value for money. But in an indoor situation such as living room it is not good for a full body shots unless you're shooting a small kid. I'd tried the Tokina 11-16mm, easily cover head to toe with room to spare. But price-wise is more expensive.

Thanks all for your advices and recommendations.

I am also considering Sigma 20mm F1.8. Is this lens also good for indoor? Is this worth the money?

Thanks again!

Thanks all for your advices and recommendations.

I am also considering Sigma 20mm F1.8. Is this lens also good for indoor? Is this worth the money?

Thanks again!

Found this on a Camera Lens Reviewing website -

In conclusion, I recommend not buying the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Lens. Sorry Sigma, this one is a dud. If you want a fast 20mm lens, I suggest saving for the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM Lens. It far surpasses the performance of the current Sigma and Canon 20mm lenses in all regards. If you want a good 20mm lens but do not need a fast aperture, the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM Lens is a great choice.

Read more from this link - http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-20mm-f-1.8-EX-DG-Lens-Review.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.