Recommended Lens for FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
Hi experts,
I see alot of piecemeal info here and there about attaching lenses to the the FZ5 using the hood adapter. I'm wondering if you attach a bigger lens would it be safe since the adapter is quite easy to disengage.
Also, can any expert list the types of lens options we have with recommended brands as well as from their experience what lens cannot be used.

Thanks in advance.

IMO, most compatible lenses as follows:

Wide Angle Convertor:
1. Olympus WCON-07 (55mm)
2. Olympus WCON-08 (55mm)

Tele Convertor:
1. Olympus TCON-17 (55mm)

Reason is that these are optically above average and are light enough to be mounted on to the FZ1/2/5. Best of all, all of them uses the 55mm thread, same as the tube that comes with your FZ5 so you don't have to use any step up or step down ring. Ironically, Panasonic don't produce any lens for the FZ1/3/5 but thanks to Olympus, we get very affordable and good quality add-on lenses.

Guys, if you have other convertor lens that work well with the FZ1/3/5, maybe you can expand on this list, should prove helpful to users here. :)

The Prosumer camera is designed to be lightweight, small, and have a full working range that will not require you to change lens etc.

By packing in conversion lenses, and such, means you carry a big bag with flash, lens etc... then wat differene from SLR?

Anyways, from personal experience, I had a really lousy time, mounting/unmounting the wide and tele lenses when I was on holiday in Bangkok.

By mounting the Oly Wcon 08, you can only use the cam at its widest only.
Just by being lazy, and zooming with the wcon on.. you will see serious distortion at the edges of the pic.

Good luck!

rhair78 said:
The Prosumer camera is designed to be lightweight, small, and have a full working range that will not require you to change lens etc.

By packing in conversion lenses, and such, means you carry a big bag with flash, lens etc... then wat differene from SLR?

Anyways, from personal experience, I had a really lousy time, mounting/unmounting the wide and tele lenses when I was on holiday in Bangkok.

Just by being lazy, and zooming with the wcon on.. you will see serious distortion at the edges of the pic.

Good luck!

u saying, that u cant capture the whole scene with your wide lens because if u work on full zoom, u are already too absorbed into the scene is it?
i am still reading up on the so many lens type

i think perharps its more for ranged shots for the tele lens rite?

I would recommend getting a metal tube instead of the flimsy plastic adaptor tube that Panasonic provides. The plastic screw thread gets worn easily, and was not designed to hold the weight of the add-on conversion lenses properly.

I had to hold on to the TCON-17 each time I use it. :angry:

The wide and tele conversion lens are meant to be used with the camera at the maximum wide and tele settings. Attaching a wide lens, but activating the zoom would defeat the purpose. Likewise, attaching a tele lens, but not using the camera's full zoom. :dunno:

rhair78 said:

Good luck!

hmmm if you locked the plastic tube.. it's kinda hard to come off right? at times to get it off i haf to try very hard..

Quoted from Yoshida-san..
seems like we can't get aluminum tubing.. just sent him a mail in japanese, see if there's any workaround to this problem.

1. The structure of FZ5 is different from FZ1/2 and FZ3.
2. The thing that I make the adaptor is comparatively easy.
However, there is a problem in the installation method.
3. FZ1/2 and FZ3 can install the adaptor by easy work.
4. FZ5 detaches the inside of the camera, and will install the adaptor.
5. A general user thinks this installation work to be impossible.
6. A special tool is needed. The technology is also necessary.

FZ1/2 is a structure to rotate the screw and to install the adaptor.
FZ3 is a structure to stop an outside part of the camera with one machine screw.
FZ5 is a structure stopped from the inside of the camera with three machine screws.
It is not possible to install it from the outside of the camera.

Can my explanation be understood?
If in your surroundings, there is a person who understands Japanese Though I can explain in Japanese in detail ‥

Thank you.
Ryuji Yoshida

huggable said:
The wide and tele conversion lens are meant to be used with the camera at the maximum wide and tele settings. Attaching a wide lens, but activating the zoom would defeat the purpose. Likewise, attaching a tele lens, but not using the camera's full zoom. :dunno:

Of course the wide angle lens supposed to use at widest lar. ;(
But if you are at a location, where you want wide, then spot something interesting and want to use Tele.. then you are screwed. You need to unsrew the lens, pop the caps on, and then keep in the bag or somewhere. Then get back to your camera... by then the moment has passed.

I was a victim of buy buy buy.... so I just hope that PLUG members will consider if the stuff they yearn so much for is really necessary :dunno:

rhair78 said:
Of course the wide angle lens supposed to use at widest lar. ;(
But if you are at a location, where you want wide, then spot something interesting and want to use Tele.. then you are screwed. You need to unsrew the lens, pop the caps on, and then keep in the bag or somewhere. Then get back to your camera... by then the moment has passed.

I was a victim of buy buy buy.... so I just hope that PLUG members will consider if the stuff they yearn so much for is really necessary :dunno:

from the last outing i join i can see you are a BUY VIRUS MAN! :bsmilie:

rhair78 said:

maybe apply only to you here? :bsmilie:

just kidding...

... but really, I feel that all this buy and buy and then sell and sell is part of the process of learning moer about photography and what you need and don't. :)

BTW, we are OT-ing form this thread, please post more valuable inputs. ;p

tao said:
maybe apply only to you here? :bsmilie:

just kidding...

... but really, I feel that all this buy and buy and then sell and sell is part of the process of learning moer about photography and what you need and don't. :)

BTW, we are OT-ing form this thread, please post more valuable inputs. ;p

Oops. Sorry airconvent for all the bs OT from me on this thread.
I have troubled everyone with my invaluable inputs.
No more PLUG for me, since I have parted with the FZ20.

Status
Not open for further replies.