Recommended filter for 17-55mm lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi everybody,I have a problem with getting the "right"filter for my 17-55mm lens (77mm).Actually I am still a newbie so pardon mi if i I am asking a "noob" question.In fact,I am totally alien to filters and their purpose.Under the "filters" thread I dun seem to be able to make any headway thus posting this thread to seek advice & help.
BTW,my budget is less than $50 & I dun mind 2nd hand filter.My friends have suggested to get the Hoya(slim),B+W Mrc Haze,Nano & what have you...So now I am quite confused & I dun want to change filter all the time.I want to get a reasonably good filter so I would need help from all you helpful people.
Please suggest a certain filter for my lens & also roughly what the price is like(new /used).Thank You in advance guys!

Last edited:
Marcus7 said:
Hi everybody,I have a problem with getting the "right"filter for my 17-55mm lens (77mm).Actually I am still a newbie so pardon mi if i I am asking a "noob" question.In fact,I am totally alien to filters and their purpose.Under the "filters" thread I dun seem to be able to make any headway thus posting this thread to seek advice & help.
BTW,my budget is less than $50 & I dun mind 2nd hand filter.My friends have suggested to get the Hoya(slim),B+W Mrc Haze,Nano & what have you...So now I am quite confused & I dun want to change filter all the time.I want to get a reasonably good filter so I would need help from all you helpful people.
Please suggest a certain filter for my lens & also roughly what the price is like(new /used).Thank You in advance guys!

So far the B+W XS-Pro Nano or Hoya HD the both filter ring is quite slim and won't made your lens to be getting vignetting :)

What kind of filter? UV?

Yup UV Filter or any filter that u wan to recommend?Thanks!

Last edited:
Yup UV Filter or any filter that u wan to recommend?Thanks!

For your budget, B+W is out of reach, can try Hoya but for 77mm, i think might also go above your budget.

Try and give TK or SLRR a call and check the price for Hoya Pro 1D?

If you are just starting out in photography, suggest you just get a Skylight filter. It helps to cut down UV (eliminates bluish cast from your photos) but more importantly, it should be permanently fixed on as it protects you lenses from scratches. Should cost between $30-$50. No need to experiment with other creative filters (polarising, ND, etc.) until you are comfortable with your basic skills.

hi bro,do u know where can i buy the Skylight filter? Thanks!

TianYa also got multi-coated filter. Under $50 too if not wrong.

Can get Kenko Pro1 D 77mm UV filters for less than $40 on eBay.

If you are just starting out in photography, suggest you just get a Skylight filter. It helps to cut down UV (eliminates bluish cast from your photos) but more importantly, it should be permanently fixed on as it protects you lenses from scratches. Should cost between $30-$50. No need to experiment with other creative filters (polarising, ND, etc.) until you are comfortable with your basic skills.

Skylight filters introduce a warm cast into the photos, not sure I will recommend that. I would rather go for UV or clear filter.

hi bro,do u know where can i buy the Skylight filter? Thanks!

Are you shooting digital or film?

Film gets blue cast thus got skylights filter to correct that. Film also get affected by uv. Thus got UV filter.

Digital are not affected by uv or blue cast, you can use any clear filter or uv filter it's more for 'protecting' your lens than to correct problems. You can use skylight also it will warm the pics very slightly.

Kenko ProD1 should be in your budget.

Hi Bro,

Pardon me for saying this. You already fork out 1k+ to get a good lens but why are you skimming on filter now? Well no doubt uv or clear filter basically does is only to protect your lens, but the quality of the filter is important as well because we wouldn't want the filter to affect our IQ too much.

my 2 cents

er, have you asked yourself why are you getting a filter? Hopefully not to follow the crowd? For protection, you can consider a third-party hood as well. Easily less than $50, reduces flare and no worries on degrading image quality.
:)

Hi Bro,

Pardon me for saying this. You already fork out 1k+ to get a good lens but why are you skimming on filter now? Well no doubt uv or clear filter basically does is only to protect your lens, but the quality of the filter is important as well because we wouldn't want the filter to affect our IQ too much.

my 2 cents

Lens IQ you mean?

er, have you asked yourself why are you getting a filter? Hopefully not to follow the crowd? For protection, you can consider a third-party hood as well. Easily less than $50, reduces flare and no worries on degrading image quality.
:)

Yah no filter also good. No problem for image degradation. Unless you shoot in situations like sea waves splashing, champagne spraying, pyrotechnic sparks shooting into your lens, or outside courthouse where case defendants throw things at your lens. The lens comes with a very good hood already, no need buy 3rd party.

Last edited:
sjackal said:
Lens IQ you mean?

Yah no filter also good. No problem for image degradation. Unless you shoot in situations like sea waves splashing, champagne spraying, pyrotechnic sparks shooting into your lens, or outside courthouse where case defendants throw things at your lens. The lens comes with a very good hood already, no need buy 3rd party.

Ya lower quality filter degrades IQ a little isn't it

17-55 doesnt comes wif hood le gotta buy

For your budget, get at least the grade of Kenko Pro1 D. Ordinary filters not good at all; rather dont use! Esp for those who bought expensive lenses for image quality purpose.

PS: I got no budget. So all my lenses without filter now. (more for the quality actually)

Last edited:
TK Foto is selling the 77mm Kenko Zeta (similar to Hoya HD) for $59 IIRC... a great deal.. only $9 over your budget. Sure you can save $9 by not eating out 2 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.