Recommended CP & UV Filters for 17-40L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamonster

Dec 21, 2005
Budget: ~$150 (not very strict)

My other consideration is that I am investing 1250$ on the L lens and I would not like to degrade its quality by going for ultra-cheap filters. On the other hand I don't want to go for the fancy ones whose price / performance ratio is not so good. I have heard that Hoya filters are the best you can get for their price but which ones should I go for keeping the budget constraints into consideration ?

I intend to keep the UV alway ON to better protect my lens.

B+w....

megamonster said:
I intend to keep the UV alway ON to better protect my lens.
Plus the 17-40 is only weather sealed if you put a filter on :)

B + W is good but Ex... i am using Hoya S-HMC UV on my 17-40 and a Hoya cir-pol.

works fine . just that the S-HMC coating seems to be more prone to stain then B+W.

For me I think it makes sense to go for a multi-coated UV filter since I am going to use it almost all the time.
As for the CPF, is there any need to go for the multi-coated one ? coz from what I seem to have gathered from web-postings is that multi-coating only helps in reducing flare caused by sun or strong light sources. And I am quite sure CP Filter is not intended to be used against the sun or at night (where light sources can cause a prb). Is there any other advantage for having MC CP Filter ? If that is the case, I short-list my choices to the following:
Hoya S-HMC UV Filter
Hoya CP Filter

Another issue I have come across is that it is believed that the filter mount on the 17-40L len is dangerously close to the frontal element of the lens and use of non-slim filters may touch the frontal element ? Is that true ? I think the above-mentioned filters are non-slim and their owners seem to have no problem ?

Using nikon NC filter ... does not have any colour cast on my images at all.

Thanks everybody for the response.

I just called CP and they told me that they only have the non-multi-coated versions of the Hoya filters. Any idea where else can I find a better variety of the Hoya filters ?

PS: I would appreciate if you can also state the expected price for the filters.

TCW. Think it's $60-$70 for HMC 77mm ... if i remember correctly.

if pay that price range for a hoya, might as well get B + W at 90ish for a 77mm. Dont buy an L lens then crimp 20 bucks on the UV filter

Just got a Super HMC Hoya UV filter at $68 from AP for my 17-40L! ;)

FYI, you are particular...

B+W vs NIkon L37C (or even NC)

B+W have a V.E.R.Y S.L.I.G.H.T blue tint... where the nikons are clear... get a white piece of ppr and put these two filter on it... den compare... ;p

topster said:
if pay that price range for a hoya, might as well get B + W at 90ish for a 77mm. Dont buy an L lens then crimp 20 bucks on the UV filter

Fricking B+W 77mm costs 162 the last time i went there to get(and that's after discount).And i only paid 76 dollars back then for my 72mms.

Went for the L37C instead, and i agree i love this filter.

adamadam said:
Where to get B+W filter and how much would it cost? (for 77mm)

CP, TK and others should have some stock and cost $95.

Status
Not open for further replies.