Recommended computer for CS5 software

e69087

Aug 17, 2005
Northern Singapore
Hi all,
What would be the recommended budget (lowest cost) laptop or net book to be used with photoshop CS5 software? Looking at a reasonable processing speed.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Why not refer to all the threads that are similar to yours??

Skip the netbooks. Any laptop will do the job, just look for lots of RAM and try to get one with a high gamut and screen that can be calibrated.

My setup : 2x quad core xeon E5520, 24GB DDR3 memory, 5x WD DVRaptor 10Krpm with H/W RAID5, Windows Server 2008 R2, Nvidia Quadro 600.
I think that's approximately the recommended setup. (wink)

Hi all,
What would be the recommended budget (lowest cost) laptop or net book to be used with photoshop CS5 software? Looking at a reasonable processing speed.
Thanks!

My setup : 2x quad core xeon E5520, 24GB DDR3 memory, 5x WD DVRaptor 10Krpm with H/W RAID5, Windows Server 2008 R2, Nvidia Quadro 600.
A bit outdated, get the X-series CPU from Intel, 8 (and 10) cores are available. 2x X6550 is a decent starting point :)

You enjoy resurrecting dead threads? :p

the fastest and the best is the recommended computer for photo editing.
if not then choose due to budget. hunt around simlim and build your own with a big monitor:)

Outdated ? lolx... In any case more cores doesn't attract me for what these processors are meant for. Seriously I do have such a system except it is not meant for my photography hobby anyway. It's meant for virtualization. So far in the industry, I have not seen much systems running enterprise solution using anything more than the E series. Maybe abit faster, much I can tell you it's far from outdated :)
A bit outdated, get the X-series CPU from Intel, 8 (and 10) cores are available. 2x X6550 is a decent starting point :)

my setup : 2x quad core xeon e5520, 24gb ddr3 memory, 5x wd dvraptor 10krpm with h/w raid5, windows server 2008 r2, nvidia quadro 600.

(wink wink)

Hi all,
Thanks!

Let me highlight that I had used a 1.6 Celeron processor notebook about 5 years ago to process photos (6 megapixels)... It was painful.

Frankly speaking, any of the current crop, even i3 processors will do fine..... When I was still in school I was using a 1.8 GhZ Core Duo and it was fine... Just make sure you have enough RAM, and get a decent screen.

Outdated ? lolx... In any case more cores doesn't attract me for what these processors are meant for. Seriously I do have such a system except it is not meant for my photography hobby anyway. It's meant for virtualization. So far in the industry, I have not seen much systems running enterprise solution using anything more than the E series. Maybe abit faster, much I can tell you it's far from outdated :)

Maybe you are looking at a different segment of enterprises? ;) Just a thought

And to the TS, once you reach i3 or i5 processors for CS or LR, what matters more is actually RAM. So having at least 4GB is good, and have 8GB or more is excellent.

Last edited:
hi TS, fwiw, am just using an old AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor with 8GB ram on Win 7 and it's perfectly fine. i process multiple RAWs with various plugs without issues.

use blade server best la. haha

seriously, I feel that CS5 with 8GB RAM perform the best as compare to 4GB if u do run other stuffs in the background. Processor wise, i think i5 will do a decent job.

Perhaps, my segment are telco, media & government sectors. Maybe you are right, they are slower :)

Maybe you are looking at a different segment of enterprises? ;) Just a thought

And to the TS, once you reach i3 or i5 processors for CS or LR, what matters more is actually RAM. So having at least 4GB is good, and have 8GB or more is excellent.

Last edited:
Why should blades be faster ? They are essentially the same as rack solution just a different form factor and sharing a couple of interfaces :)

seriously, I feel that CS5 with 8GB RAM perform the best as compare to 4GB if u do run other stuffs in the background. Processor wise, i think i5 will do a decent job.

with a blade, everything can be more.:)

Blade servers are just the same servers with reduced size. In case you don't know. processors and config is still up to the end users.

TS use macbook... The best graphic for photoshop

Processing power? No need to worry about that these days...

Please share with us, after many years in the industry I'm still curious :) One thing is for sure: blades help to create hot spots in data centers.