Recommended Compact Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eplus

Jul 2, 2008
Hi everyone, i am looking to get my mother a camera. Just wondering if there is any good recommendations? I have a budget of $500.

Not much must-have functionality issues, but it has to be user friendly [i.e. do not need to hold the camera still for 5 seconds just to avoid blurry pictures].

Adaptable to different weather is a plus.

Thanks everyone. :)

Eplus.

P.S. I hope this is the right place to post this. @.@

Most compact cameras will have shutter lag but will not be as long as 5 seconds. For adaptability to weather, you may want to get the Olympus which is shock resistant and can even go underwater without the use of a casing.

If you can add on little more budget, Panasonic LX3 would do great!

otherwise take a look at the new Canon IXUS series.

i am using canon ixus 860 is... image quality and ease of use :thumbsup:

i think most compact come with image stabliser so no need to hold that long but of cos gotta depend on lighting condition also...

imho, canon PnS is solid...

Canon G10. Nice size and manual controls once you see the need to 'upgrade' your skills.

Thanks everyone for replying!

The camera is meant for my mother, so i think the Canon G10 is kind of too complicated for her.

Is the Panasonic LX3 a complicated camera?

And Canon Ixus 860 seems decent. :D

I did some research and many recommend Fujifilm F200EXR and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T700. Any idea how is this 2 cameras? :)

Thanks again!

Eplus.

I'm also for the Canon Ixus series... simple and easy enough.

Fujifulm EXR200, one of the best compacts out at this moment.

Thanks everyone for replying!

The camera is meant for my mother, so i think the Canon G10 is kind of too complicated for her.

Is the Panasonic LX3 a complicated camera?

And Canon Ixus 860 seems decent. :D

I did some research and many recommend Fujifilm F200EXR and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T700. Any idea how is this 2 cameras? :)

Thanks again!

Eplus.

Yes, LX3 is a compact cam with very good review. Fujifilm F200EXR and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T700 are great cams too. But I think all these cameras are above your budget of $500.

Budget around S$600 - Panasonic LX3
Budget around S$1000 - Leica D-Lux 4

They're both very similar, just that you pay S$400 more for the Leica brand.

TZ7 sells around 570 with GST including 8GB + case

BTW I've heard that TZ7 batteries are chipped, means third party batteries will not work.
It will take some period of time before third party manufacturers can crack this.
Original battery cost around 70

TZ7 shld be the choice.
Becuz i dun think your mum will be using manual control ba? A simple cam which offer a wide angle of 25mm to 300mm.

But of cuz the con side compare to LX3, F200EXR, G10, is the picture quality. G10 is definitely out, cuz is bulky and abt $100 more ex than LX3.
But for manual user, G10 offers an easy control, e.g. the ISO dial.

U can consider Canon Powershot SX110 IS too for budget.

Here's the comparison
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...n_g10,canon_sx110is,fujifilm_f200exr&show=all

Thanks so much for all the replies. The comparison chart is very useful. :)

Now i am leaning more towards the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3/TZ7 and the Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR.

Any idea what is the market price for these 2 cameras now? Thanks everyone!

Eplus.

Thanks so much for all the replies. The comparison chart is very useful. :)

Now i am leaning more towards the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3/TZ7 and the Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR.

Any idea what is the market price for these 2 cameras now? Thanks everyone!

Eplus.

TZ7 560-570 at AP, J316
F200EXR 450-470 at AP, J316

Thanks lichtleiter!

but where is AP and J316? ^^"

AP is Alan Photo?

J316 is John 3:16 @ Funan?

Thanks again. :)

Eplus.

TZ7 560-570 at AP, J316
F200EXR 450-470 at AP, J316

I am torn between these 2 model!!!!!!!!! Please help me to make a choice.

You are the one using the cam leh, how can we decide for you. Go to the shop to see which suits you better and get that lor.

Thanks lichtleiter!

but where is AP and J316? ^^"

AP is Alan Photo?

J316 is John 3:16 @ Funan?

Thanks again. :)

Eplus.

You got it right. :)
J316 offer the friendliest customer service IMO.
Look for Bryan if your're planning to get it at AP SimLim, he's the nicest guy there.

Thanks lichtleiter!

I'd be calling them up to ask for price soon. MS color in AMK is not bad too right? It's very near to my place. :D

Will check for best price. XD

Eplus.

Status
Not open for further replies.