Recommended combination for Central Europe

huhsimi

Jun 17, 2010
Hi People,

I will be going for my Europe trip in Nov.
Just like to ask around, what would be the best combination for my 7D + tripod.

1) Canon 10-22mm + Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
2) Canon 10-22mm + Tamron 18-270mm VC
3) Canon 10-22mm + Canon 50mm f1.4

Kindly advise.

Thank You
Jason

huhsimi said:
Hi People,

Kindly advise.

Thank You
Jason

It all depends on what are you shooting and expectations. No. 2 seems like the most versatile but are u needing that range and can u afford the low light disadvantage?

Hi People,

Kindly advise.

Thank You
Jason

i go for 1)

Check the Canon website, do you see any 'Europe lenses' or 'Asia lenses'? I wonder why ...
We don't know what kind of photography you are in, obviously different genres have different preferences. But I would go with option 1). I'd rather change 18-270 to something moderate like 55-250 or a prime longer than 50mm. But that's my own preference.
If you go in November than rather check your clothes, it can be already quite cold with snow. So you might also want to check the countless 'Cold Weather Advices'.

For a start, as a newbie, I would recommend choosing flexibility and 2) as my recommendation. You will not know what you need and slowly you will find as you go along and get more experience. Do not be too overly hung up about perceived poorer IQ of a superzoom. I used to bring along an 18-200 as well previously, coupled with a 50/1.4 and a 12-24 as a staple setup. Sometimes on a trip, nabbing a photo is better than not getting it. After a while, I kinda know what I need. And it takes time.

It might not work for all, and you might end up craving for larger aperture over another during the trip, but life is all about compromises, and it happens. You just learn about it and take reference for your next trip

Remember to enjoy your trip, and not to inconvenience your traveling buddy who might not be too much into photography.

* in case you are wondering, I hike with more than 12 kg worth of film and digital stuffs excluding tripod and food my last europe trip.

Ryan

bring everything :)

option 1..
i just came back from Spain and Italy..
i mostly use my 10 22

I would go for No.1 or No.3 as I know my shooting style seldom required long range.
But if you like to shoot candid as well, you will probably go for No. 2. (Take note whether there is enough light though)

I go for 3. Because 10 22 you shoot landscapes and 50 f1.4 will be the street and my night shoot. I'll use tripod for night shoot together with 10 20.

I would go for 1, coupled with a flash. :)

I believe the longer reach should not be required if u are there to shoot family and landscape. :)

Just my worthless (in Singapore) 2 cents

I would go for none.

My choice wud be
1. Canon 10-22
2. Canon 17-55

Reason being .. it's a Canon.

Bro seriouly there's no such a thing as a set up that fits everyone. All depends wat u wanna take or wat u wanna see. Some people are into landscape, some into potraits, some into artistic architecture .. some into i dont noe wat .. so everyone gonna give u million and one set up.

The only person who can answer u is yourself. Know what your shooting style is and use whatever lens u'r comfy with.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice !!!!
My shots would mainly be landscapes n architectures.