Recommended camera for budget 400-550 SGD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhallenq

Jul 15, 2009
Hi I got a friend of mine who want to get a camera for the budget 400-550 SGD.
She is starting to learn on photography (just like me:sweatsm:) and would like one that would be able to offer a level of control over the settings. Below are a list of the requirements.

1. some level of controls (Prosumer range)
2. preferably to be able to shoot in RAW (not sure if the budget range allow for this)
3. preferably asethetically pleasing
4. Fun and nice to explore photography with
5. Able to support add-on accessories (ie filters etc)

Feel free to suggest any models, thanks.:lovegrin:

20D prolly.. if you want a DSLR

2nd hand d40 nikon.

2nd hand d40 nikon.

I hear about the D40's body not being to have auto-focus unless you get a lens that comes with a auto-focus meachaism (which is going to cost). Will this be a limitation in any way.
Sorry not too sure on this and would like some advice.

Any recommendation in the adv compact range?

I hear about the D40's body not being to have auto-focus unless you get a lens that comes with a auto-focus meachaism (which is going to cost). Will this be a limitation in any way.
Sorry not too sure on this and would like some advice.

Any recommendation in the adv compact range?

panasonic fz28

If you (and your friends) think that photography will grow with you (her), get a DSLR, don't bother with compacts. My recommendation: Sony A100/A200 or Pentax K10D. Feature wise, value for the money, those are particularly strong. I don't think Canon/Nikon offerings can beat them at the price point. My take at least.

If you want a prosumer den go for Panasonic FZ28

Otherwise you can try DSLRs like Sony A200. Which is very cheap for its performance. :)

another thing about DSLRs is, people seldom stick to one lens... after a while, the lens hunting begins. so if you're talking about sticking religiously to the $550 budget for at least a year, the prosumer is less likely to intoxicate you with lens syndrome.

Popin CS Buy Sell section and look at the DSLRs. Get the models like D40, 20D, 300D, 350D, etc then google the models to see if its aesthetically pleasing to him/her.

sorry to borrow this thread :(
i am looking for one too but for myself.
budget is abt the same as TS's friend.

I would certainly recommend a 2nd hand 20D... but you will need to budget for a low-cost lens as well.

The down-side is that the 20D has a whimsically small LCD screen that may be difficult for beginner users (can get used to).

for your budget you are looking at:

Nikon D50/D70/D40
Canon 20D/300D/350D/400D

or you can venture in 4/3 system(Olympus). the bodies are relatively cheaper and you can use TONS of legacy lenses(with manual focus) with the appropriate adapters.

maybe a D40 kit is good

with a ok memory card and bag...

or maybe a D100?

A Nikon D40 or D50 kit might do the trick for that budget, but then you have no more $$ for tripod, dry cabinet, etc.
Not too familiar with the other models that have been recommended (Canon 20D, Sony A100/A200, Pentax K10D etc), so I shall just not comment on them.

How about any recommendation on advanced compact?

I don't know about advanced compact, but from all the features you listed, the DSLR is the best bet. DSLR is more fun to explore and learn also. A lot of people here recommend the D40, but I own a K-m/K2000 and it's the same price as the D40, so I would recommend this one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.