Recommended books for CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireblade05

Feb 14, 2005
Hi people,

Are there any books that you would recommend for CS2 ? I intend to buy one for self study/experiment but there are so many choices. I want to touch up my travel pictures mainly.

I quite like Scott Kelby's The Photoshop CS2 Book For Digital Photographers, has anyone tried following his methods before ? Or are there even better books around ?

adobe photoshop CS2 for dummies :thumbsup:
not only teach you only enhancing digital photos but also other stuffs.

The bible - "The Photoshop CS2 book, for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby

Or the professional series of that title.
More tricks. But you need to know some Photoshop basics first.

I learn from those Interactive Multimedia Training CDs, think it is certianly much better for beginners, easier to pick up since they actually shows you on how they are doing it on screen.

They have Adobe Photoshop (Basic & Intermediate Training) and Advanced & Web Imagery Training. Can get them at Popular bookstore, price less than S$20.00 per CD, I believe they do have new series that covers CS2.

Alternatively, you can go to The Radiant Vista, check on their Photoshop workbence or Video Tutorials, these are the places where you can download the video clips and view at your own leisure and learn. ;)

cyber_m0nkey said:
The bible - "The Photoshop CS2 book, for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby

One of our fellow CSer (sgdavid) once conducted a MO for this book, it's a good guide book, easy to understand and provide beginners and advance level of photo touching up skills. You can check whether does he have any leftover stock left.

the scott kelby book is damn good.
i never used photoshop before, never even read the manual. just used that book and could follow the instructions already..

go to a library and borrow the books...try before you buy...;)

jdredd said:
the scott kelby book is damn good.
i never used photoshop before, never even read the manual. just used that book and could follow the instructions already..

I agree. Believe it's the best one.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

eh, one more book to recommend -

Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers by Martin Evening.
A professional image editor's guide to creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

Comes with a Tutorial CD as well.

fireblade05 said:
....I quite like Scott Kelby's The Photoshop CS2 Book For Digital Photographers...

Do you have the basic knowledge in Photoshop? If you don't, Scott Kelby's book is not going to help. It will lost you even more. BTW, I own all of Scott's books and DVDs. I also attended a few of his 'live' seminars while staying in the US, and I even met him in person. A very funny guy, but he is more of a salesman of his trade than a real photographer (seriously!).

Do you know that Scott even wrote a book on fatherhood and parenting titled 'The Book for Guys Who Don't Want Kids'? Check it out here.

Plus, he don't explain the reasons why he uses such-and-such methods on so-and-so pictures. Yes, they do work most of the time, but Scott's book will never teach you the fundamentals of Photoshop and its underlying concepts. In the end, you'll soon realise that you are merely following his steps blindly, but do you know why he uses them and how to customise these steps to your own photography needs.

It is as good as singing karaoke, just follow the lyrics and hum. Do keep in mind that a karaoke singer will always be a karaoke singer. Without proper voice training, a karaoke singer will never become a real star. This reminded me of the Singapore Idol ad with a self-proclaimed 'Karaoke King' as an idol-wannabe.

if don't know functions like layers, eraser etc, can read photoshop cs a to z, it explains to u all functions is for.

photobum said:
Do you have the basic knowledge in Photoshop? If you don't, Scott Kelby's book is not going to help. It will lost you even more. BTW, I own all of Scott's books and DVDs. I also attended a few of his 'live' seminars while staying in the US, and I even met him in person. A very funny guy, but he is more of a salesman of his trade than a real photographer (seriously!).

actually, depends on the user. i never read a single photoshop book or instruction manual before scott kelbys. i loaded CS2, opened his book and just fiddled around. didnt take too long to get the hang of things.

personally, im not fussed to know how things "work in the background". i find DI a necessary evil, so the faster i can get things done the better.

Other than those books already mentioned, there are many other good books for Photoshop. In fact it's become an industry in itself. I agree with the poster who suggested borrowing the book from the library first to see if you like it first before buying. I got a whole bookcase of PS books, but there's only a few that I really like.

A really good recent one is Photoshop LAB color by Dan Margulis, but it is targetted at the serious PS users.

Then again, if you are just interested to do minor correction for photos, PS CS2 may be an overkill. In many cases, PS Elements 4.0 is good enough, and cheap. I think Lightroom is also more suited for photographers, but don't know how expensive it will be when released. May I suggest you try Elements 4.0 first, and if you outgrow this, you can justify getting CS2.

The learning curve is seriously long, but I haven't given up yet. Have fun.

jdredd said:
actually, depends on the user. i never read a single photoshop book or instruction manual before scott kelbys. i loaded CS2, opened his book and just fiddled around. didnt take too long to get the hang of things.

I don't agree with that. A few of Scott's tricks in this book does require some knowledge and know-how in Photoshop. Even though he makes it looks simple but do you know why he uses this method and not others.

I believe there are other much better methods. When I work in Photoshop, I always look for alternatives and back-up plans. Just in case one method don't work, I still have second or third options. For example, a simple task like converting color image to black-and-white, I know 5 or 6 ways. There are no two methods that will yield the same reason. Different ways can produce different looks and effects.

photobum said:
I don't agree with that. A few of Scott's tricks in this book does require some knowledge and know-how in Photoshop. Even though he makes it looks simple but do you know why he uses this method and not others.

I believe there are other much better methods. When I work in Photoshop, I always look for alternatives and back-up plans. Just in case one method don't work, I still have second or third options. For example, a simple task like converting color image to black-and-white, I have 5 or 6 methods in my mind. There are no two methods that will yield the same reason. Different ways can produce different looks and effects.

i really really didnt know anything about PS. just intuitive i guess. and as i said, for me, ive tried a few of his methods and they work well enough. i dont really say i care to know why they work.
he also gives about 4 or 5 examples to do B&W conversion. and ive tried them all.

jdredd said:
....i dont really say i care to know why they work.....

Isn't this as good as learning blindly. This is the problem with most Photoshoppers. Such books are to be used as references, not guides.

If most people are to learn this way, both the authors and publishers are going to laugh their ways to the bank.

C'mon, think about it this way, my friend. Scott has the exact same software that you have in front of you right now. If he can write books about it, I am sure, intelluctually, you can too. It is just a matter of more time and practice.

photobum said:
Isn't this as good as learning blindly. This is the problem with most Photoshoppers. Such books are to be used as references, not guides.

If most people are to learn this way, both the authors and publishers are going to laugh their ways to the bank.

C'mon, think about it this way, my friend. Scott has the exact same software that you have in front of you right now. If he can write books about it, I am sure, intelluctually, you can too. It is just a matter of more time and practice.

i believe this word is meaningful...

Status
Not open for further replies.