Recommended ballhead for heavy lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
Am thinking of getting the 'Bigma' 50-500mm f4-6.3 APO EX HSM for use with my 10D. Am currently using the Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead with a Manfrotto 190B (which I may upgrade to a 055Pro if I get the lens). Any recommendations for a suitable ballhead which would provide adequate support for this combo? Or is the 486RC2 adequate for this load? Total weight is abt 3.5kg (assuming 10D w/ batt grip ~1.4kg + weight of lens ~2.0kg). Would appreciate your kind advice/input.

Thanks in advance.

Garion said:
Am thinking of getting the 'Bigma' 50-500mm f4-6.3 APO EX HSM for use with my 10D. Am currently using the Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead with a Manfrotto 190B (which I may upgrade to a 055Pro if I get the lens). Any recommendations for a suitable ballhead which would provide adequate support for this combo? Or is the 486RC2 adequate for this load? Total weight is abt 3.5kg (assuming 10D w/ batt grip ~1.4kg + weight of lens ~2.0kg). Would appreciate your kind advice/input.

Thanks in advance.
The 486RC2 is capable of 6kg load, so should be enough.

BTW, ZPlus is also using a 486RC2 with his 50-500mm on his 300D...

Winston said:
The 486RC2 is capable of 6kg load, so should be enough.
Oic, thanks Winston. :) My main concern is the general stability of the lens on the ballhead coz its length almost doubles when extended at full zoom (quite scary to look at lol). Yup I know Zplus uses a 486RC2 w/ a monopod for his 50-500mm. (have seen it in action b4) :D

One of the best ballhead, if money is not a concern, will be the Arca Swiss B1.

Lot of reviews on the net. You might read more about it using a search engine.

The Markins ballhead is another alternative
http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/dcforum/DCForumID3/192.html

According to someone who ordered, they charge a flat US$20 shipping no matter how many products you order. This is significant because the lens/body plates are <VERY> cheap. So if you do order, can I tag along some lens/body plates? :)

Garion said:

Thanks in advance.

Buying in advance for our next Thurs shoot ?

Hmm...don't tempt me leh....

;p

erwinx said:
The Markins ballhead is another alternative
http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/dcforum/DCForumID3/192.html

According to someone who ordered, they charge a flat US$20 shipping no matter how many products you order. This is significant because the lens/body plates are <VERY> cheap. So if you do order, can I tag along some lens/body plates? :)
buy buy buy@@@

go go go!!!!

hehheee....

Thanks to all for your recommendations and suggestions. :)

chngpe01 said:
Next to Acra Swiss is the Arcatech Ultimate Ballhead.

If you are interested in the Arca Swiss, I can let you try mine when we meet. ;)
Thanks chngpe01. ;) Any idea how much the Arca Swiss and the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead costs, and where they are available?

Also, has anyone used Kirk ballheads before? Would like comments on this particular brand too.

Thanks!

Garion said:
Thanks to all for your recommendations and suggestions. :)

Thanks chngpe01. ;) Any idea how much the Arca Swiss and the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead costs, and where they are available?

Also, has anyone used Kirk ballheads before? Would like comments on this particular brand too.

Thanks!

Arca Swiss somewhere in the region of $800, Arcatech about $500. There is a new line of ballheads in CP from Giotto... $150 supports up to 7kg (according to its spec). I have seen it and it looks to be sturdy.

gremlin said:
Arca Swiss somewhere in the region of $800, Arcatech about $500. There is a new line of ballheads in CP from Giotto... $150 supports up to 7kg (according to its spec). I have seen it and it looks to be sturdy.
Thanks gremlin, mpenza. Phew....$500+ is quite pricy....will think about it 1st. Prolly will drop by CP soon to take a look at the Giotto ballheads too. Thanks once again, and keep those suggestions coming in.

if $500+ is pricy to u , I guess the ONLY choice for you is

FOBA mini ballhead .. cost $3xx ++

Thanks for the suggestions mega, rncw. Are these two ballheads available locally or must order frm overseas one?

Garion said:
Thanks for the suggestions mega, rncw. Are these two ballheads available locally or must order frm overseas one?

Foba mini ballhead is available at CP

Garion, if u r buying, think can longbang you to get a better price. :) (if u r not getting my ballhead)

Status
Not open for further replies.