Recommended bags for short trip

Sgdevilzz

May 16, 2010
Hey guys. I'm going on a short trip to bintan during mid june and i need quite a large bag to fit my gears and probably my clothes etc. I'm also going to take my tripod along which is quite heavy and big. Any recommendations? Not looking for too big as well because i'm quite small size. Preferably a backpack

Things i will be bringing.

1. D5000 with kit lens with grip
2. 70-300mm VR
3. 50mm f1.8G (going to buy soon)
4. sb-900 (Dome diffuser)
5. Square filters, holders etc
6. remotes, batteries etc
7. 190xprob with 486rc2
8. clothes, shoes blah blah for the stay in bintan

Going there for leisure and as well as taking some nice sceneries. I do have a budget of $150. Not looking for an expensive one because i'm going to buy a hadley pro as a main bag for my gears.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm going on a short trip to bintan during mid june and i need quite a large bag to fit my gears and probably my clothes etc. I'm also going to take my tripod along which is quite heavy and big. Any recommendations? Not looking for too big as well because i'm quite small size. Preferably a backpack

Things i will be bringing.

1. D5000 with kit lens with grip
2. 70-300mm VR
3. 50mm f1.8G (going to buy soon)
4. sb-900 (Dome diffuser)
5. Square filters, holders etc
6. remotes, batteries etc
7. 190xprob with 486rc2
8. clothes, shoes blah blah for the stay in bintan

Going there for leisure and as well as taking some nice sceneries. I do have a budget of $150. Not looking for an expensive one because i'm going to buy a hadley pro as a main bag for my gears.

Cheers!

basically the Lowepro Fastpack 350 can fit albeit quite snugly. so you be looking for a bag like it.

basically the Lowepro Fastpack 350 can fit albeit quite snugly. so you be looking for a bag like it.

Hmm.. is there any differences to the fastpack 250? I'm going for 3days 2 nights. The top compartment shouldn't be a problem for my clothes and shoes (pair of slippers and normal shoes) right?

Dont seems like you have lens for landscape, why bother to bring the square filters?

EDIT: Sorry i missed the words "kit lens"under item 1.

Anyway, without a tripod, i doubt you would be able to take landscape shots of long exposure, so the square filters might be useless in most cases.

I usually bring 2 bags, one for camera and the other for clothings. unless you wont be checking in I dont see why you need to carry everything with you the whole way.

Last edited:
hi Ts, 250 is good enough provided you are not getting anything there =x. to play safe would suggest 350 haha, just in case =x

normally people go with 1 bag and came back with 2bags or more

Dont seems like you have lens for landscape, why bother to bring the square filters?

EDIT: Sorry i missed the words "kit lens"under item 1.

Anyway, without a tripod, i doubt you would be able to take landscape shots of long exposure, so the square filters might be useless in most cases.

I usually bring 2 bags, one for camera and the other for clothings. unless you wont be checking in I dont see why you need to carry everything with you the whole way.

Hi alan, yes i do have a tripod and plan on taking long exposures. A kit lens should suffice. yes i'm checking into a resort but prefer to have an all in one as i don't want to bring 2 bags. Troublesome

hi Ts, 250 is good enough provided you are not getting anything there =x. to play safe would suggest 350 haha, just in case =x

normally people go with 1 bag and came back with 2bags or more
Hi orange, i will consider the 350, reason why i'm looking into 250 is because the 350 looks quite long and i'm afraid it's too big for me!

maybe its just me, coz i dun buy too many things on trips, especially place like bintan.

haha yup for guys not much of a problem, but its different the other way round ^^

maybe its just me, coz i dun buy too many things on trips, especially place like bintan.

I've never been there before. They accept mastercards right? i'm going to the west coast resorts.

Sgdevilzz said:
I've never been there before. They accept mastercards right? i'm going to the west coast resorts.

It depends on where you are staying.

If you stay at banyan tree or angsana, it is really beautiful but there is Nothing other than the resorts not even a convenience store or local stores. You have to eat at the hotel. The "stores" at the village are a joke. If u go to bintan, just go there and relax.

I really prefer Bali to bintan.

About the difference of Fastpack 250 to 350. The difference is just the upper slots of the camera compartment. On 350, they are wide enough to fit more lenses. In the 250, the slots are only big enough to fit small lenses or flashes, etc..

If choosing between 250 and 350, go for the 350. But I recommend the Kata 3n1-33 with tripod attachment ($170 + $20 at TK) or the Think tank bags. I know you have a $150 budget. But select a good bag once, add $50 or more to your budget, and go think tank. You will not regret it. It is better than buying and selling and buying again. I went through many bags.

You should also check out this site. Tons of bag reviews there.

http://www.cambags.com/

Last edited:
It depends on where you are staying.

If you stay at banyan tree or angsana, it is really beautiful but there is Nothing other than the resorts not even a convenience store or local stores. You have to eat at the hotel. The "stores" at the village are a joke. If u go to bintan, just go there and relax.

I really prefer Bali to bintan.

About the difference of Fastpack 250 to 350. The difference is just the upper slots of the camera compartment. On 350, they are wide enough to fit more lenses. In the 250, the slots are only big enough to fit small lenses or flashes, etc..

If choosing between 250 and 350, go for the 350. But I recommend the Kata 3n1-33 with tripod attachment ($170 + $20 at TK) or the Think tank bags. I know you have a $150 budget. But select a good bag once, add $50 or more to your budget, and go think tank. You will not regret it. It is better than buying and selling and buying again. I went through many bags.

You should also check out this site. Tons of bag reviews there.

http://www.cambags.com/

Thanks DD123, your information was really helpful :)

Going to a place called ocean bay. Will be staying in this kelong resort for the whole trip.

I once had a Kata bag for video. Awfully heavy and shoulder pads are uncomfortable. But will definitely look into Kata and think tank bags tomorrow at TK. Reason why i budgeted down to $150 is because i won't be using backpacks much when i come back to singapore.

Btw off-topic alittle: Hadley Pro or Domke F2? Just opinions :)

Thanks for the link, DD. Yeah, you're right. I just bought a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 40 and I am very much satisfied. No buyer's remorse on my part. TS, spend the extra $50, you will not regret it. :)

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-pro-backpack.aspx

I would recommend the Think Tank Streetwalker Pro, but depending on the amount of clothes etc you'd be bringing, you might want to look at the Streetwalker Harddrive or something else. :) Think Tank bags are solid! They are very deep, allowing you to fit more gear etc without making the bag look big. Go try them! :)

bojee said:
Thanks for the link, DD. Yeah, you're right. I just bought a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 40 and I am very much satisfied. No buyer's remorse on my part. TS, spend the extra $50, you will not regret it. :)

I definitely will when it meets my requirements!

LeGozt said:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-pro-backpack.aspx

I would recommend the Think Tank Streetwalker Pro, but depending on the amount of clothes etc you'd be bringing, you might want to look at the Streetwalker Harddrive or something else. :) Think Tank bags are solid! They are very deep, allowing you to fit more gear etc without making the bag look big. Go try them! :)

Thanks for the suggestions Legozt, will look unto streetwalker pro and hard drive later at funan :)

daredevil123 said:
Sorry, can't help you out there. For shoulder bag, I am using these two, depending on the occasion:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-30-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx
http://www.jill-e.com/mocha/jack_messenger.html

Hmm do you always bring a tripod when you use shoulder bags? Hand carry? Because it's quite a troublesome to bring a heavy tripod without the use of the bag.

Hmm do you always bring a tripod when you use shoulder bags? Hand carry? Because it's quite a troublesome to bring a heavy tripod without the use of the bag.

I use a tripod bag.

When I shoot landscapes, I usually use my backpack, It may be bigger, but it is definitely more convenient especially when climbing rocks, or going into water.

i normally use 1 small travel bag (gym bag) + my kata 467...this bag already go to many places with me..
i like to use my kata since there is a space on the top for my meal, sunglass, accesories.
There is many bag have the same design (lowepro fastpack, etc)
i normally bring my small DSLR (450D + BG) + 10 22 + 50 150 (almost never use during travelling) + 580ex + fancier tripod + square filter (cokin Z pro)

so..u can take a look in some shops....thy have lot of options

Get a Think Tank bro! you won't regret it. I just bought a THink tank Streetwalker Harddrive and took it with me to Europe and although my bag was full and damn heavy at 10kg, the minute i put on my back, it felt alright. Very solid construction and lots of pockets to put your stuff.

Although i think you won't be able to fit much clothing into the bag with the camera stuff....

I'm currently looking at the Fastpack 250. I think it suits me well enough but it seems like i can't ''attach" a tripod to it. just went down yesterday and checked out the bags. I definitely can't afford the 2 bags which is the backpack and the Hadley Pro

Reasons for backpack (250 maybe):
PROS: Easy on both shoulders, great for traveling. Cheaper than Hadley Pro
CONS: No attachment for Tripod. Not enough for clothes, shoes, personal stuff etc, might not be using much in singapore.

Reasons for the Billingham Hadley Pro:
PROS: Very fast to get used to (as i've been using shoulder bags for years), able to use it for Non photo shooting outings (school too), i'll almost use it everyday when i'm back to singapore (put into full use)
CONS: Very Expensive, Can't hold a tripod, no room for clothes etc etc.

If i choose the FP250, i can fit more things but will not be using much in SG. If i choose Hadley Pro, it's gonna burn a hole in my pocket but i'll use it almost everytime i go out. Either way, i still have to bring a tripod bag and another bag for my clothes and stuff.

So should i spend on an average price backpack which i will only use for 3 days and the rest, not much. OR spending on a very expensive bag but will almost use it for the next few years to come. Sorry if i repeated some questions because i'm so dead tired from my school presentation...

EDIT: it seems like i'm too tired to think. I'm more worried about the usage when i'm back in singapore rather than the trip itself... I'll revise this post tomorrow..

Last edited: