Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshie

May 28, 2003
Visit site
hiii

am looking for a digital camera...budget hopefully below 800..any suggestions? dunno much abt pixels and the functions..guess a not so bad one will do..

have heard abt canon ixus 400, wonder wat's the price range for this..pls help, thnkx in adv ;)

btw, am a lady user..

IMHO, I think most consumer digital cameras that belong to a particular price bracket are the same. What's good to choose will depend on how much you like the design, and if you've got any brand loyalties. Having said that, I tend to like Fujifilm cameras. I think they represent good value for money.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digitalcameras/
This site is the only one I can think of that gives a rough estimation of prices in SGD$.

Have fun with the hunt!

fuji huh? true enuf, i like canon cos of the design..sleek n elegant hehee...i mean, if i buying this, might as well get a better one (in terms of looks n functions)..

bt the website u gave actually cost more?

or maybe someone here can suggest another cam? actually am juz a regular user...not into photography..juz wanna invest in one..and take pics of my dog sometimes.. ;) :D

as you can see, dpreview gave a excellent for this camera. my friend owns one and she loves this camera alot. i've seen her pictures and the quality is good. personally, i did not use it before, so i'm not sure about the function-wise. you can read the review instead, very comprehensive.

one thing to note, Canon came out with S50 as its successor already and it's a 5mp digital camera. but the price is abt $1k which may be out of your budget.

G3 vs s45 ? What do u think ?

design wise - s45
function / quality wise - G3
budget wise - s45

strictly speaking, if want to compare, should compare G3 and s50, not s45. anyway, all Canon cameras! hee...

it all boils down to personal preferences. go down to any camera shop and have a hands-on. then u will know what u like. basically we can only guide you which cameras are good to a certain extent.

Originally posted by wong_se
G3 vs s45 ? What do u think ?

hmm...good..then prob will push the price for S40 down? :D \
but will prob consider the powershot like what u said.. xie xie~

Originally posted by silver.wolf
one thing to note, Canon came out with S50 as its successor already and it's a 5mp digital camera. but the price is abt $1k which may be out of your budget.

oh yeah, since freshie is a lady, ixus 400 seems like a good buy. the look and feel is definitely cool for a lady. compact enough for a lady to put inside her handbag and carry anywhere.

Originally posted by freshie
hmm...good..then prob will push the price for S40 down? :D \
but will prob consider the powershot like what u said.. xie xie~

For freshie, I actually wouldn't go for Canon IXUS 400. Although you must get pretty good image quality. You might end up paying more for the "CASING" rather than image quality. I believe you can get similar image quality with other cameras such as Nikon or Canon A70, Canon S50 (more expensive but with even better quality).

For myself, I've been using Nikon coolpix 775 (for 1.5 yrs) already. Average performance camera for beginner. I am actually looking for more ZOOM functions !! 3x sometimes is not enough ... ;)

But well, with it's price at S$520 and comes with 16MB. A 3.2M 3x zoom and the capability to capture video with audio ... It's ok as long as you don't really use Macro !

Just my one cent worth of comment...:)

Originally posted by cwongsm
A70 is not bad ... but the macro is really bad ... NEED VERY STEADY HANDS .... unless you use a tripod.

erm... have you experience with other cameras? What is the actual problem and lighting conditions? It might be just unfamiliarity with taking macro shots. If I may say so, an experienced person won't fare any worse with the A70 compared to other cameras.

Just came back from Funan Centre, South Asia Computer. They having some in-house promo, Fujifilm F401 going for S$499 + freebies.

And I also kinda like the Minolta Xt. Harvey Norman was selling it for $799.

FYI. :)

Just wish to pump in some of my thoughts on S400 and A70..

Picture quality wise, I'd say S400 wins hands down. I won't equate S400 and A70's image quality as similar. To start off, S400 wins slightly in terms of pixel count. In addition, from the sample pictures I've seen from review sites of the S400 and A70, and also pictures from my own A70, the images from S400 are able to show more details.

And also, I don't understand why A70's macro is "very bad". When light levels are low and magnification is high, you need steady hands regardless of whether you use A70 or S400. They have the same aperture ratings so will give you similar slow shutter speeds. Whether you need to handhold steadily / use tripod or not doesn't depend on how "bad" a camera is, it depends on what kind of shutter speed you get and what focal length you use for the particular macro shot.

I see .. Thanks for the info.

But recently, I've been using A70 in the company using the MACRO function. Somehow, me and a few of my colleagues could not get what we want .... :confused: So in the end, I've to bring my Nikon 775 and take the pictures (which is good - as close as 3cm - even we have unsteady hands ... )

So that's why I've got that impression ... Sorry to those who is owning a A70. :embrass:

But if anyone of you got a chance to use Nikon Coolpix Cam, try out the Macro, it's reasonably good !:thumbsup:

hmm.. think I could get to the root of the "problem" now. You have tried to focus too close to the subject for the A70 and get "blurred" shots thinking the cause is due to unsteady hands......

Status
Not open for further replies.