Recommendations to Books or links to learn Digital Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamedriver

Mar 22, 2007
Hi guys new to this forum and hobby.

Any guys here can recommend mi books or links to pick up this new hobby?

I am planning to buy a DSLR soon and more or less decided on wat to buy.
However, when I scan thru the forum, everything sounded too technical for mi. :bigeyes:
I've a ready downloaded some PDF files from the net and read them. But seems to mi, what they cover in the contents are too basic, like Depth of field, focus, apertures and such. Its all too dry with very less comparison photos eg: if a same pic is taken with a lens on a certain shutter speed and f/stop vs on a different lens or different speed and stuffs like dat.

Basically, I more or less know the basics of photo taking and the priciples of a camera and how an image is captured.

What i really need is information and comparison of different lens and different f/stop or shutter setup.

I know practise make perfect, but i've got very very limited exposure to equipments, thats the reason why I need to read up more and making it sure i like it first time.

Pls be kind to me ya! :sweat:

humble bowz

TD

Hi bro,

Firstly, welcome to the big family.

There are simply too many books out there for beginers like myself. Do check out the National Library or book stores. At times, I'll flip the books at Times or MPH also. You may also want to try Google or Yahoo! Search for specific topics like DOF or Apertures. There'll be tons of information.

Happy searching & reading. :)

What i really need is information and comparison of different lens and different f/stop or shutter setup.

If you are really taking this hobby up fresh, I advise you to be less technical-minded (From the answers you really wanted to find in your question), but instead, learn more of the arts, form, compositions, etc.

If you prefer books, which I do, because I hate staring at computer screens to read something (forums don't count)..

Why spend $? Get back some of your tax dollars and abuse the National Library!

Hi bro,

Firstly, welcome to the big family.

There are simply too many books out there for beginers like myself. Do check out the National Library or book stores.
Happy searching & reading. :)

Thank u bro,
Pls advise if the 'Dummies' series is a good start? hehehe?
Maybe I should go flip thru.

Cheers
TD

There is 1 book which you should get which covers the basics from camera's to shooting to post processing. Good for beginners to intermediate.

Digital Photographer’s Handbook by Tom Ang

I got it for around $50+ at MPH I think. Worth every cent on it.

Most importantly, experiment and play around with the cam. =)

For comparison's of different lenses, you can find reviews online but you have to be specific in your searches. Do some googling.

Thank u bro,
Pls advise if the 'Dummies' series is a good start? hehehe?
Maybe I should go flip thru.

Cheers
TD
Grab every book you can get your grubby paws on.

It's free in the library anyways. Just look through while you're there, if the book makes you sleeping in 2 pages, then definitely don't bother. If ALL books make you sleep in 2 pages, then.. It's probably not your cuppa tea to read about photography and you should just try to shoot more and feel your way through. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

go to the library.. really.. it's the cheapest way and u can find great books.. even those that u're itching to buy from the bookstores... u can even find photography magazines there.. so y spend the money?

I have to agree that libraries are the best place, not only because they are free, they can match or even better bookstore's selection.

Photography bookstores aside, Borders' corner of photography books looks just like the library's, literally. It's messy, & a lot of titles can be found in the library.

Kinokuniya stocks a huge selection of photobooks. It's well-organised, & you can get those compendiums there. But again the selection of books is around what you can find in the library.

In fact, it's a pleasant surprise that the book I was looking for, which cannot be found in both Kino & Border's, is available right in my school's library. :) It's this book: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

I'm also just starting out, & right now I'm focusing on exposure books, then composition books. After that then it'll be editing & image processing books.

Hi guys new to this forum and hobby.

Any guys here can recommend mi books or links to pick up this new hobby?

I am planning to buy a DSLR soon and more or less decided on wat to buy.
However, when I scan thru the forum, everything sounded too technical for mi. :bigeyes:
I've a ready downloaded some PDF files from the net and read them. But seems to mi, what they cover in the contents are too basic, like Depth of field, focus, apertures and such. Its all too dry with very less comparison photos eg: if a same pic is taken with a lens on a certain shutter speed and f/stop vs on a different lens or different speed and stuffs like dat.

Basically, I more or less know the basics of photo taking and the priciples of a camera and how an image is captured.

I know practise make perfect, but i've got very very limited exposure to equipments, thats the reason why I need to read up more and making it sure i like it first time.

Pls be kind to me ya! :sweat:

humble bowz

TD

i think i get what you mean. if you want comparisons of models, you can either go for those review sites like dpreview, but if you wanted better comparisons with side by side comparisons of the same picture at the same white balance or at the same focal length etc, you should go for magazines who do comparisons at times.

books dun do that, becos they are supposed to last for a while. once the models are outdated, the books becomes outdated, so books dun do that. magazines do that.

browse thru a few covers to decide. i won't be quoting which issues are they. but so far i think digital camera world, practical photography and photography monthly quite good for that. i always see digital camera buyer but have not tried that, it may be suitable for your purpose.

read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and post question that you do not here, there will be lots of answers for you.. :)

Hi everyone,
First of all, i'ld like to extend my thanks to all whom suggested and shared your views with me as a newbie, really appreciated the help u ppl offered to me. :sweatsm:

Now that i have a head start, guess it next would getting the camera and start snapping and learn from trial and error! Of cos not forgetting go libary and dig for tresures.

Thank you all once again.

Cheers
TD

Hi everyone,
First of all, i'ld like to extend my thanks to all whom suggested and shared your views with me as a newbie, really appreciated the help u ppl offered to me. :sweatsm:

Now that i have a head start, guess it next would getting the camera and start snapping and learn from trial and error! Of cos not forgetting go libary and dig for tresures.

Thank you all once again.

Cheers
TD

If you want a good source of photography books, try Riceball. Look for Zhong Lin and ask him to recommed what is good for starters. Have fun.

Riceball Photography Bookstore
#B1-38, The Adelphi
1 Coleman Street,
Singapre 179803
Tel/Fax 63367076

Mon-Sat 11am-7pm
Sun 11am -5pm

hi all. tamedriver,the person whu started this thread recommended me here. Frm my experience tis afternoon, i stumbled upon 2 shelves of photography n digital photography..almost fainted ..i didnt borrowed any cos i followed some of ur advice to get the HWM digital photography. am reading n digesting it slowly first. Thanks so much for the support for us newbies!!Really feel v.welcome here

Status
Not open for further replies.