recommendations :p for night shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrifeYun

Nov 15, 2006
Rivervale Drive
hi guys,

similar to my previous thread, is the canon 50mm f1.8 II a gd lens to use for night shots in orchard road at night ? (should be able to take gd scenery too right ? a going 2 stay at marriott during christmas, hope got gd view)

hi guys,

similar to my previous thread, is the canon 50mm f1.8 II a gd lens to use for night shots in orchard road at night ? (should be able to take gd scenery too right ? a going 2 stay at marriott during christmas, hope got gd view)

use the $ to get a good tripod instead... since you say scenery, tripod is 10000% better than f1.8

It all depends on what kind of shots you wanna get.
If you're talking about lens which can give you a handholdable speed, then the 50mmf1.8 is a good choice.
If you are talking about long exposures, then a zoom might do better.
:)

It all depends on what kind of shots you wanna get.
If you're talking about lens which can give you a handholdable speed, then the 50mmf1.8 is a good choice.
If you are talking about long exposures, then a zoom might do better.
:)

mr Jedi (which jedi r u ? hehe) hmmm mi thinking of getting a holdable lens to walk around orchard at night and take picz, so a 50mm wif f/1.8 is gd right ? this lens can also take scenery right ? :p hmmm.. i now headache cause dun 1 2 spend so much on lens hehe mi poor boi :p

mr Jedi (which jedi r u ? hehe) hmmm mi thinking of getting a holdable lens to walk around orchard at night and take picz, so a 50mm wif f/1.8 is gd right ? this lens can also take scenery right ? :p hmmm.. i now headache cause dun 1 2 spend so much on lens hehe mi poor boi :p

I dun think you want to take soft pictures of the night scenery at f1.8

Most users normally take pics of night scenes at apertures of about f8 or smaller to have a longer DOF. And in that situation, you'd need longer shutter speeds too. So a tripod is often used.

As for night street shooting of certain objects or ppl, then you may wanna consider the 50mm f1.8, but note that the DOF is very think at f1.8... also on a DSLR, it's abt 75mm perspective, not very useful for scenery... ;)

I dun think you want to take soft pictures of the night scenery at f1.8

Most users normally take pics of night scenes at apertures of about f8 or smaller to have a longer DOF. And in that situation, you'd need longer shutter speeds too. So a tripod is often used.

As for night street shooting of certain objects or ppl, then you may wanna consider the 50mm f1.8, but note that the DOF is very think at f1.8... also on a DSLR, it's abt 75mm perspective, not very useful for scenery... ;)

okieo kie gotcha ... think i starting 2 understand more liao as i read and try out the shots.
thanks guys !!

get a tripod

tri pod must look out for wat type arr ... mi newbie

i got 1 free tri pod when i bought a samsung digi cam for mi mum .. hmmm think i use that haha...

hmmm oh yah ... i still got a min-EQ tripod stand hehehe... buy v short haha

tri pod must look out for wat type arr ... mi newbie

i got 1 free tri pod when i bought a samsung digi cam for mi mum .. hmmm think i use that haha...

hmmm oh yah ... i still got a min-EQ tripod stand hehehe... buy v short haha

As stable as possible...

but do note the weight. Some can be pretty heavy for lugging around. There is always a balance of weight vs the stability and also the cost. Check out the old posts on choosing tripods...

get the best tripod your budget can stretch. stability and weight are very impt issues. 2 nights ago i was walking around my neighbourhood for about 2 hours testing shots with my friend's slik u8000 and my arms almost broke.

a tripod you dont feel like bringing out is a useless piece of eqpt!

to me slik 330/340dx + manfrotto 486RC2 is a good and decent setup. Price is also :thumbsup:
@ about $250 you get a tripod/pan-tilt head and a ballhead. :thumbsup:

btw the pan-tilt head is pretty solid... no problem support d50 + sb600 + 80-200 f2.8 and a flash (tripod collar used) or d50 and a 700g+/- lens.

slik is good..... very value for money....

Status
Not open for further replies.