Recommendations on Good Suit Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

Am intending to make a good suit and would like some recommendations on where is good.

Important considerations:

1. Value for money (that does not mean cheap; just that it needs to be worth what is being paid)

2. Tailor must be patient and willing to customise design to customer's liking.

3. Quality of tailoring must be good.

Price isn't a big consideration; so long as it is not chop carrot price.

Thanks in advance! :)

My entire family do all their shirts, pants and suits, at:

Justmen's Pte Ltd
19 Tanglin Road, #01-36/39
Tanglin Shopping Centre

Dad has been frequently this place for 30plus years! :)

Check if they have a listing of tailors.

Ermenegildo Zegna Far East
60 Martin Road
#06-32/35 TRADEMART SINGAPORE
Singapore 239065
Fax : 67379770

'Value for money' where suits are concerned, to me, means the best materials and craftsmanship - top-notch product that fits well and will last many many years and still look as good as day one.

60 Martin Road
Singapore 239065

'Value for money' where suits are concerned, to me, means the best materials and craftsmanship - top-notch product that fits well and will last many many years and still look as good as day one.

Trademart Singapore used to be a place where many of the garment and fashion sourcing companies are located.........but the place had been tear down years ago, replacing by a condo......

Last edited:
Yup, whilst value for money to me means the value must match the amount paid; in this case, the standard I'm looking for is as you have stated in the last sentence of your post :)

So this Ermenegildo people can do up to this standard?

60 Martin Road
Singapore 239065

Trademart Singapore used to be a place where many of the garment and fashion sourcing companies are located.........but the place had been tear down years ago, replacing by a condo......

OOU!

Then have to look for who's the new agent or where the old agents moved to.

I used to like BOSS suits but I think Vince123123 is looking more for the one-on-one personal attention and craftsmanship.

Chope - http://www.bestplacesexplorer.com/details.php?id=102304120717&category=one&record=3

Zrgna's office is also listed in the Italian Chamber of Commerce trade directory: http://www.italchamber.org.sg/default.aspx?uc=members

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Yup, whilst value for money to me means the value must match the amount paid; in this case, the standard I'm looking for is as you have stated in the last sentence of your post :)

So this Ermenegildo people can do up to this standard?

You'll have to assess for yourself. The Zegna House comes with quite a formidable portfolio and history:

Ermenegildo Zegna or Zegna (Italian pronunciation: [ˈdzeɲa]) is an Italian fashion house that claims to be the world leader in fine men's clothing.[1] Founded in 1910, it is now managed by the fourth generation of the Zegna family[1] and remains in family ownership. As well as producing suits for their own labels, they manufacture suits for labels such as Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent and Tom Ford. Conversely YSL Beauté markets a fragrance called ESSENZA DI Zegna,[1] and Zegna have been expanding into accessories and leather goods. As one of the biggest global producers of fine fabrics (2.3 million metres per year),[1] they have been active in promoting improvements in wool production around the world.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermenegildo_Zegna

A good suit with the best materials should run up a few $K, but if quality and how you present yourself matters, it's money well spent.

Sorry, I forgot ... if you look deeper into the working of old world craftsmen in places like Italy and France, the best and most knowledgeable are usually those with the most experience and best track records producing the RAW materials. Look at the wine and food industries for example. Those folks know what and how to make the best products from the best raw materials. Some of it has to do with the way business laws and regulations are designed to protect and preserve certain industries in those countries.

Last edited:
You can try Personality at Peninsula plaza. I make all my suits, trousers and some shirts there. Another place you can consider is at Boat Quay, I heard it's quite good but have yet to try it.

Just to add on suit at Personality i think is from 500 onwards.. so quite reasonable. But they can be really packed some times.

Try Pimabs on 2/3flr of a shophouse along Boat Quay. A little pricey but good service. Most of these tailors can offer materials from Zegna, Armani, Gucci, Boss etc. but workmanship is very important. Most tailors farm out their jobs these days to factories or homes & can be worse than buying off rack! Ask to see their ready orders & inspect the stitches etc.

Materials also play a big part. Cotton, wool etc & if it's for local weather or seasonal places.

A good tailor should do a test-fit for you to try on before finalising his work.

That's all I know & hope to hear more too. Please update us with your hunt cos I'm looking for a new tailor too.

Status
Not open for further replies.