Recommendations on courses for newbie.

Fezqu

May 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

My name is Shawn. I been checking around the courses section of this forum and there are simply too many courses/school to choose from.

I'm planning to get a DSLR. I'm interested in studios, nature/landscape and street photography type of photos and hopefully learn software skills on photography.

Can anyone recommend me a good school/courses?

Thanks for the help! :)

For basics, pretty much any one of the offered courses will do.

Maybe can search HERE for courses?

If you are definitely keen to get a DSLR, you can consider getting one first and then learning as you go along. It is entirely possible to learn on your own.

Yea. Was considering between the newly launch 600d or d5100. Both are not bad. But based on the reviews, the d5100 seems do have an edge over the 600d.

But the d5100 do not have a built in motor focusing. I don't mind, easily solve if I get a AF lens. But it will not be able to use the professional range lens. Will that be a problem? I know the 600d is compatible with all canon lenses, including the L lens. I wanna get a DSLR that is for beginner and still able to advance to intermediate level.

Yea. Was considering between the newly launch 600d or d5100. Both are not bad. But based on the reviews, the d5100 seems do have an edge over the 600d.

But the d5100 do not have a built in motor focusing. I don't mind, easily solve if I get a AF lens. But it will not be able to use the professional range lens. Will that be a problem? I know the 600d is compatible with all canon lenses, including the L lens. I wanna get a DSLR that is for beginner and still able to advance to intermediate level.

your problem is a simple one. you want to get a entry-level basic body, yet purchase the high-end lenses, so in the future for upgrades you don't have to worry about purchasing lenses again right?

remember that in photography, the bodies always change technology and improve. the lenses largely remain the same for years. so if you're considering using professional lenses first so that future upgrades won't be an issue, you can always use Canon or Sony.

I guess I'll go with the 600d.

=) btw! just keep on shooting n shooting n shooting =)

your problem is a simple one. you want to get a entry-level basic body, yet purchase the high-end lenses, so in the future for upgrades you don't have to worry about purchasing lenses again right?

remember that in photography, the bodies always change technology and improve. the lenses largely remain the same for years. so if you're considering using professional lenses first so that future upgrades won't be an issue, you can always use Canon or Sony.

Does that means nikon future upgrades are more limited than canon and Sony?

Does that means nikon future upgrades are more limited than canon and Sony?

nope. but they serve your current purpose. so i recommended these 2.

but the most important factor would be how you like the handling of all these different layout of controls. it doesn't matter if you purchase a Nikon first, with just the basic kit lens. before going into a particular genre of photography, use the body and kit first. once you know what you want to shoot, then you'll know what lenses you want to purchase.

so, don't be quick to purchase expensive lenses. or in the end, you'll end up not using them at all, or selling them quickly at a loss.

advancing to intermediate level is more about advancing your skills and knowledge as a photographer, rather than advancing your gear :)
but let's leave it at that before it becomes another 'skills vs equipment' debate :angel:

Nikon's lenses denoted 'AF' will not be able to auto-focus with the d5100. AF-S lenses are required for this functionality.
Anyway, plenty of people complain about this 'lack of AF', then when they buy a higher end camera (w built-in motor) and lenses, they end up owning stuff like AFS 14-24/2.8, AFS 16-35/4VR, AFS 24-70/2.8, AFS 70-200/2.8VRII, AFS 70-300VR, AFS 24/1.4, AFS 35/1.4G, AFS 85/1.4G

Both 600D and D5100 are good cameras... that's all I can say. Which to choose is your preference.

nope. but they serve your current purpose. so i recommended these 2.

but the most important factor would be how you like the handling of all these different layout of controls. it doesn't matter if you purchase a Nikon first, with just the basic kit lens. before going into a particular genre of photography, use the body and kit first. once you know what you want to shoot, then you'll know what lenses you want to purchase.

so, don't be quick to purchase expensive lenses. or in the end, you'll end up not using them at all, or selling them quickly at a loss.

agree very much with your last sentence :)

advancing to intermediate level is more about advancing your skills and knowledge as a photographer, rather than advancing your gear :)
but let's leave it at that before it becomes another 'skills vs equipment' debate :angel:

Nikon's lenses denoted 'AF' will not be able to auto-focus with the d5100. AF-S lenses are required for this functionality.
Anyway, plenty of people complain about this 'lack of AF', then when they buy a higher end camera (w built-in motor) and lenses, they end up owning stuff like AFS 14-24/2.8, AFS 16-35/4VR, AFS 24-70/2.8, AFS 70-200/2.8VRII, AFS 70-300VR, AFS 24/1.4, AFS 35/1.4G, AFS 85/1.4G

Both 600D and D5100 are good cameras... that's all I can say. Which to choose is your preference.

Hmm. What do you mean? Yea it's AF-S, my mistake. What do you mean end up owing those AF-S lens? You mean the AF-S lens can't be use in higher end camera with built in motor?

Yup agree it's all abt the photographer skills and knowledge. The thing that I am worried about is when I get to the point in the future whereby I may need professional lens and if i bought the d5100 and it's not suitable for the professional range lens than I may have to get another camera.

But I'm not too sure of the progression of myself. Maybe by the time I really need those lenses, I maybe alr in need to upgrade the body.

I kinda like the d5100 design and size and it's cheaper as well.

LOL if you like the interface, the price and everything else, then get it ;)

Hmm. What do you mean? Yea it's AF-S, my mistake. What do you mean end up owing those AF-S lens? You mean the AF-S lens can't be use in higher end camera with built in motor?

Can...
I'm just saying that most people 'complain' that Nikon's entry models don't have built-in AF motor, which is a 'handicap'.
But then when people upgrade to high end cameras (with the built-in motor), quite a number somehow end up buying a majority of AF-S lenses, coz it seems that almost every new lens is an AF-S model.
Quite a number of the highly sought-after lenses are AF-S models.

I doubt nikon will design any future lens that are not compatible with entry level bodies. The recent lenses are all designed with AF-S. Only a handful of lenses that has only AF-D has not an AF-S version. DC & TS lenses are ones I know top of my brain.

Seems that way, though can never be too certain.
A number of their lenses, still in production, are not AF-S lenses.

ZerocoolAstra said:
Seems that way, though can never be too certain.
A number of their lenses, still in production, are not AF-S lenses.

Ya. They have to maintain a suite of AFD lenses to support users on older cameras. Nikon is still selling film cameras btw because there are still need for film. Eg, real life CSI are still using film as digital pictures are still not admissible as forensic evidence in many parts of the world (USA included)

Can always consider a 2nd hand dslr. Lower cost. Just as good. If don't like, sell also won't lose much