Recommendations of prosumers for a newbie! (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsquare

Nov 7, 2008
Hello!
I've been using Ixus 860is for around a year. I want to learn more about the manual functions which are not in this camera. I normally take photos of sceneries, animals (mostly dogs), night views, etc. But I'm not sure which aspects to look out for...haha, I'm still unsure of the terminologies.
Lumix FZ50, FZ28, Powershot G10, or S5is?
Thank you! ;)

Just go and get a Panasonic Lumix LX3. :)

I think alot of people would be able to guess my recommendation..... FZ50... :)

Reason: Full dslr-handling with a faction of the cost... :thumbsup:

Hello!
I've been using Ixus 860is for around a year. I want to learn more about the manual functions which are not in this camera. I normally take photos of sceneries, animals (mostly dogs), night views, etc. But I'm not sure which aspects to look out for...haha, I'm still unsure of the terminologies.
Thank you! ;)
depending on your preference...about $500-$700 can get a second hand 400D or similar DSLR camera.

really depends how far you want to go and how much your bank account can endure.

Up for FZ28 or FZ18.

if you ask me...LX3 tad bit overrated especially for the price point, throw in a 100 more you'll be able to get a 1000D first hand.

FZ50 is a great prosumer too. =)

---
Small OT here: Hey Anson, does FZ50 use command dials?

Up for FZ28 or FZ18.

if you ask me...LX3 tad bit overrated especially for the price point, throw in a 100 more you'll be able to get a 1000D first hand.

FZ50 is a great prosumer too. =)

---
Small OT here: Hey Anson, does FZ50 use command dials?

Yup... it have 2... it also have separate manual zoom & focus ring similar to those found in dslr... :)

depending on your preference...about $500-$700 can get a second hand 400D or similar DSLR camera.

really depends how far you want to go and how much your bank account can endure.

Still have to consider the lens, one advantage of buying a FZ50 is that it come "bundle" with a Leica (35~420mm F2.8- 3.7) lens.... :thumbsup:

2 command dials :O, I should have bought the FZ50 over the FZ18 haha.

Well if I have to rechoose from the list I vote FZ50 ^^, will win in many aspects against other prosumers.

Vs DSLR... will definitely lose in noise and no chance to upgrade lens, but I bet TS doesn't know what noise is ^^. (Let him find out himself?)

2 command dials :O, I should have bought the FZ50 over the FZ18 haha.

Well if I have to rechoose from the list I vote FZ50 ^^, will win in many aspects against other prosumers.

Vs DSLR... will definitely lose in noise and no chance to upgrade lens, but I bet TS doesn't know what noise is ^^. (Let him find out himself?)

This is also one of the reason I choose the FZ50 over FZ8 when I bought my FZ50. Actually one of the advantage (often overlook) of the FZ50 is the ability to accept external TTL flash... that was one of the reason why I recommend it over the Fujifilm S100FS...

As for noise, there is always various methods to workaround this issue... Understand your equipment & work around it's disadvantages.... :)

do consider 2nd hand prosumer in this forum... they are selling at very low price

Sony R1 (if u can find) :thumbsup:

most prob u will get a 2nd hand one. No more in production.

Hello!
Thank you! ;)

S5 IS is an obsolete model, replaced by SX1 IS and SX10 IS. I would recommend either of these 2 for its versatility.

i like fz50, but it's discontinued? cuz i'm thinking that if i can get a first hand one would be good, haha. what about powershot g10? no votes for it still. saw a thread on prosumers, some said sony h series are not bad.

You may want to consider other models from Panasonic since the FZ50 is discontinued. Alternatively, like what bro Fotophilic said get the Sony R1. Fujifilm also has great prosumers.

If I am not wrong, currently only FZ50 offer full manual control (including zoom & focus) with an external TTL Flash control... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.