Recommendations of Lens for 5DMIII

wm910

Oct 20, 2010
Hi,

Am looking and considering a lens for my cam. Currently I have the 50mm 1.8 however am looking for a general purpose lens mainly to shoot on street.

Was considering the Sigma 50mm 1.4 or canon 24-105. Hope can have some advice. budget wise less than 2k is ok.

I wish i have money to buy 5d mark iii and post what lens to buy at newbies corner just to mock at poor people, lol.
Anyway if you want to know what lens to get for 5d mark iii, it will be EF lenses only.
For street, u can take 35mm, 50mm or even 24 105.
Now im too poor so i use canon 50mm 1.4 for street shooting, cover small events or shoot portraits. If i have the money, i wont hesitate to get 35mm f1.4...
Zoom lens like 24 105 is very good to cover all my walkaround needs, plus that lens is considered light. Have stabiliser also. Good lens to start with in search of your favorite focal length and prime it.

24 70. The IQ is great. I don't have one as I can't afford it. I bought the 24 105. Also good la. The f4 is almost non existent as the mk3 has good usable ISO.

2k budget is quite high. If you don't mind can purchase 2nd hand and save it for good filters.

Thanks for your advice. I am a newbie why I bought 5D is because I love gadgets. Posting here is not to mock anyone because I am not a pro. I post here is because I really need advice. That's purely my intention.

I don't think I am so great to purposely post in this section just to mock anyone.

crysmeth said:
24 70. The IQ is great. I don't have one as I can't afford it. I bought the 24 105. Also good la. The f4 is almost non existent as the mk3 has good usable ISO.

2k budget is quite high. If you don't mind can purchase 2nd hand and save it for good filters.

Thanks bro. My budget is def below 2k hopefully. just bought this great cam so tight on budget. :)

Thanks bro. My budget is def below 2k hopefully. just bought this great cam so tight on budget. :)

This camera is indeed great, but you need to pair it wil quality lenses to bring out the best in it.
You should set aside some budget for L lenses, especially the general purpose ones if you intend to use it for travel, street photography.

Check the Sg Canon website. For the best result with the 5D2, just get lenses that have "L" mark on the specs and those will match perfectly your 5D2 most >1,500. :D

Get the 35mm 1.4 for prime or the 24-70 for zoom. If you are not in a hurry, wait for the new version of 24-70 though it will be over 2k.

Check the Sg Canon website. For the best result with the 5D2, just get lenses that have "L" mark on the specs and those will match perfectly your 5D2 most >1,500. :D

I think TS own a 5D3 and not a 5D2. Its like saying he drives an old ferrari when actually he just bought a brand new one. :bsmilie:

If you dun want people to see you pointing at them, buy a 2nd hand 50mm f/1.2 L Lens. If you want candid moment, buy a 2nd 70-200m L lens. If you want interesting shots, buy a 2nd hand 8-15 f/4 fisheye lens. Hope this help..

wm910 said:
Thanks for your advice. I am a newbie why I bought 5D is because I love gadgets. Posting here is not to mock anyone because I am not a pro. I post here is because I really need advice. That's purely my intention.

I don't think I am so great to purposely post in this section just to mock anyone.

Sorry man, just kidding, no hard feelings, its actually me n my friend's inside joke. As the saying goes, you dont have to be professional racer to buy ferrari.

I see some people suggested 24 70 f2.8... I wont use it for street as it is heavy, i think its over a kg, and 105mm is good for long distance shots. And even though its f4, it is equipped with stabiliser and backed with mk iii's crazy iso, excellent weapon to shoot at night. Plus mark iii better af in the dark. The images are very clean at higher iso too.

Its more fun and challenging to shoot with primes though. Good luck

Thank you everyone for your most honest and useful advice. Being a newbie i really appreciate it and most impt i am not trying to show off anything here.

Please keep your most valuable advice coming in. Thanks

Thank you everyone for your most honest and useful advice. Being a newbie i really appreciate it and most impt i am not trying to show off anything here.

For street/travel photography: 35L and 50L are good choice for primes. For zoom lens 24-105 and 24-70 are good also

wm910 said:

U making me feel bad, lol

TS, it really depend on what kind of results. It is better to get the lens to suit the type of photography you want, than to get a lens than try to fit it.

When you say street, do you need to have shallow DOF, with nice bokeh, or are you the type that want to capture the interactions of people with the environment.

If you are into shallow DOF, then a fast zoom ie 24-70L, a 50L or even a 35L. These are not cheap lens, and neither are they light-weight.

If you are the type that likes to capture the latter, you will usually shoot at f4 - f8, with a wider lens ie 20mm, 24mm 35mm and your nift 50mm. in this area, you do not really need a L lens. Stop-down, above mentioned lenses work very well, and they are a lot lighter to carry around. What you may want is to get a flash ie 580exII or a lighter 320ex to provide fill in light. in darker areas.

Hence, look for gears that suit your needs my 2 cents worth.

For normal street photography, I will definely recommend the 24-105mm f4L lens. This lens had IS which will help tremendously if you are shooting at lower shutter speed.

The other third party lenses that you can look into is Sigma or Tamron's own offering of 24-70mm. I believe the Tamron had introduce one that had image stabilization.

I think TS own a 5D3 and not a 5D2. Its like saying he drives an old ferrari when actually he just bought a brand new one. :bsmilie:

:embrass: :embrass: :embrass:

I hope I can take normal street photography like people and buildings. would the 50mm sigma f1.4 be sufficient and good?

wm910 said:
I hope I can take normal street photography like people and buildings. would the 50mm sigma f1.4 be sufficient and good?

Depends on yourself. If you intro yourself before taking or don't mind getting questions on why you taking your subjects then yeah. The 1.4 is has great shallow dof. But if you like to do it on the quiet, perhaps a longer reach is better.

I saw a chap today on an overhead bridge with a 70200 taking subjects in a bus stop about 50 feet away. On a 50mm you need to crop your images and hence not sharp liao.

Depends on what you wanna shoot.

For buildings better get a wide lens as you want to be more creative in your composition. Some buildings your area confined by space so your 50 not wide enough.

Looks like 24 105 might be more suitable.