Recommendations for zoom lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

currahee

Jun 6, 2002
Bishan
Visit site
Will a 28-200mm zoom lens surfice, or will a 28-300mm lens be a better option? What's the recommended brands/models to get? How much does it costs? I'm using a Canon EOS.

Originally posted by currahee
Will a 28-200mm zoom lens surfice, or will a 28-300mm lens be a better option? What's the recommended brands/models to get? How much does it costs? I'm using a Canon EOS.

Both are just as crap. But if you want to buy one, get the newer Tamron 28-200 with a 62mm lens thread. It's the XR II version I believe, which is supposedly better.

Also consider the original Canon EF 28-105 or 28-135 IS USM

Regards
CK

why are they crap? or is it better to get a 80-300mm lens? n a seperate 24-70 lens?

what's the price of the tamron u mentioned?

err ... if you are talking abt Canon EF 28-200mm USM lens , it is not a crappy lens ... I have seen some good quality shots < 200mm focal length taken by this lens at dpreview forum .. however the price is not worth for getting it ... cost abt $800++

for this price , you can get a better lens like 75-300mm USM IS ...

perhaps not a Canon lens since it's more expensive...no budget for it

think a 3rd party lens will do

perhaps not a Canon lens since it's more expensive...no budget for it

think a 3rd party lens will do

What's your budget? Whenever possible, try to avoid the 28-200 and 28-300 superzooms, particularly if they are not the original. If you have no choice, then like I said, get the Tamron. As far as I have seen, the Tamron 28-300 is worse than the 28-200, and it has a smaller maximum aperture as well.

Regards
CK

I have tried the 28-300mm Sigma. It is so very dark at the 300mm end, and with zoom creep problem. Definitely not a lens that I will spend my money on...

think max is ard $400 lor...but if can get cheaper the best lor...
wats the problem with the 300mm superzoom? so best is only to get a 28-200mm is it? what do u all suggest suppose i want to take a zoom shot?

I think you'll have to ask yourself why do you want a 300mm in the first place. After you've convinced yourself that you really need that 300mm, then consider the options. In general, zoom lens that goes to 300mm will not give good results when they are being blown up to sizes like 8R. There are of course exceptions.

That aside, I think the Canon 75-300 cost like $400. Not the best, but will get the job done. I don't think there are other alternatives in the Canon lineup, apart from the 100-300 USMs f/4-5.6 and the older 100-300L f/5.6. But these costs much more.

Tamron has a 75-300 that cost under $400 as well.

About teleconverters, be aware that Canon bodies lose AF if your biggest aperture goes beyond 5.6 (I think).

Regards,
Juay Kwang

wats the problem with the 300mm superzoom? so best is only to get a 28-200mm is it? what do u all suggest suppose i want to take a zoom shot?

Forget about the 28-300mm, as your budget is not enough. Both Sigma and Tamron is more than S$400.

Problem with most superzooms is the image quality. The longer the range, the worse it gets. And the slower the lens becomes. What are the lenses that you currently have? Or do you have none?

Regards
CK

thanx for all the info...i currently have a 28-80mm zoom...so sometimes cannot take close-up shots of buildings etc...so tot of looking for a 200mm or 300mm zoom lens.

why is it that there's image quality problems for the high zoom? espeacially for blown up? what about those extender tube kind of zoom lens (100-300mm)?

Originally posted by ckiang

Also consider the original Canon EF 28-105 or 28-135 IS USM

how abt Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 vs Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4 ??

will u choose Sigma over Canon for its bigger aperture?

how's their AF speed and handling?

Originally posted by kamwai

Tough question. This is something you'll have to try out for yourself. I have a feeling the Canon might be better, though slower.

Regards
CK

so will a teleconverter helps?

Hi currahee,

I've not tried it, but I suspect a good standard zoom plus a good TC will give better image then a superzoom. My idea travel lens: a light consumer AFD 28-105/3.5-4.5 plus a 2x Tamron/Kenko TC (I'm a nikon user).

Originally posted by ziploc

Hi currahee,

I've not tried it, but I suspect a good standard zoom plus a good TC will give better image then a superzoom. My idea travel lens: a light consumer AFD 28-105/3.5-4.5 plus a 2x Tamron/Kenko TC (I'm a nikon user).

how much for a 28-135 zoom? and the 2x teleconverter?

Originally posted by kamwai

are sigma lens good?

Status
Not open for further replies.