Recommendations for upgrade from Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM

ctzeh

Jan 29, 2012
Dear all,

I'm looking to purchase a replacement for my old Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 non-Art lens.

The options that I'm currently looking at are
1. Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 Art lens (Pros: Exactly the same focal length, fastest lens. Cons: heaviest, slight focusing issues?)
2. Canon 35 mm f/2 IS USM (Pros: IS, lighter Cons: Narrower view, 1-stop less fast)
3. Canon 28 mm f/2.8 IS USM (Pros: Almost the same focal length, lightest, IS Cons: 2-stops less fast)

Anyone has any experience with these lenses, pls share some opinions. Thanks

Best regards
Hong

What problem do you have with your old 30mm f/1.4, and what do you look for from a replacement lens?

I used to own the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, and for me the only problem was AF reliability on long distance subject (say 7m and further). So I replaced it with Canon 28mm f/1.8. Other than that, the Sigma was a joy to use. I also understand that there are some who own Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which doesn't have this problem.

What problem do you have with your old 30mm f/1.4, and what do you look for from a replacement lens?

I used to own the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, and for me the only problem was AF reliability on long distance subject (say 7m and further). So I replaced it with Canon 28mm f/1.8. Other than that, the Sigma was a joy to use. I also understand that there are some who own Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which doesn't have this problem.

Hi Seth,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, nothing much wrong with my Sigma lens. Just that I find the auto-focus speed slightly slower than my 40mm f2.8 STM and may then to back focus slightly. Also, for the occasional video, the auto-focus is slow and noisy. So I'm wondering if the newer lenses I'm looking at offers better performance in these regards.

Actually if you're doing video (even occasionally), maybe you should consider the lenses with IS. They dont come cheap though. For example I think the EF 35 f2 IS costs about $700 for a grey set, only $50 cheaper than used sets seen here on BnS. The 28mm f2.8 IS is cheaper but not that much cheaper, probably $100-200 cheaper than the 35 f2 IS.

Hence you probably need to balance the costs of upgrading with your dissatisfaction with the Sigma.

Actually if you're doing video (even occasionally), maybe you should consider the lenses with IS. They dont come cheap though. For example I think the EF 35 f2 IS costs about $700 for a grey set, only $50 cheaper than used sets seen here on BnS. The 28mm f2.8 IS is cheaper but not that much cheaper, probably $100-200 cheaper than the 35 f2 IS.

Hence you probably need to balance the costs of upgrading with your dissatisfaction with the Sigma.

Thanks Richie for the insights. Will certainly take your views into consideration.

You already have 40 STM, 35 is too similar IMO. I think the 28mm f2.8 IS makes the most sense.

You already have 40 STM, 35 is too similar IMO. I think the 28mm f2.8 IS makes the most sense.

Thanks for the great advice. The 35mm f/2 really quite expensive too.

Hi Seth,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, nothing much wrong with my Sigma lens. Just that I find the auto-focus speed slightly slower than my 40mm f2.8 STM and may then to back focus slightly. Also, for the occasional video, the auto-focus is slow and noisy. So I'm wondering if the newer lenses I'm looking at offers better performance in these regards.

If video is important for you, then I would also suggest the STM lenses. And you already have 40mm f/2.8 STM, right :)

Normally I don't need IS with primes.. they are lightweight (minimize hand vibration), and allow me to shoot fast enough (freeze subject movement). But again if perhaps IS on video is important for you, then yeah just get the one with IS.

If video is important for you, then I would also suggest the STM lenses. And you already have 40mm f/2.8 STM, right :)

Normally I don't need IS with primes.. they are lightweight (minimize hand vibration), and allow me to shoot fast enough (freeze subject movement). But again if perhaps IS on video is important for you, then yeah just get the one with IS.

Thanks Bro Seth, for your opinion. Actually you're right, the 40mm STM is already very suitable for video. Thanks!

Another STM lens is the EF-S 24mm f/2.8; just having it here on my Germany trip and it's great.

Another STM lens is the EF-S 24mm f/2.8; just having it here on my Germany trip and it's great.

Thanks Bro Octarine. Is this lens good for landscape as well?

Hi, the thread tl:dr so forgive me if i am not answering right. I see some canon terms and i see landscape, i think you seem quite into primes. But from my experience the 10-18 STM is not bad, cheap light and sufficiently sharp.

Hi, the thread tl:dr so forgive me if i am not answering right. I see some canon terms and i see landscape, i think you seem quite into primes. But from my experience the 10-18 STM is not bad, cheap light and sufficiently sharp.

Thanks Bro, actually the 10-18mm is also another lens I'm looking at. Seems quite good from reviews.

As mentioned in many of such "what lens to use for [insert your purpose] threads": there are no landscape lenses, birthday lenses, firework lenses, wedding lenses etc.
You can use 24mm for any purpose where 24mm do the job and deliver what you want. This can be a landscape, group shot, fireworks ... important is the field of view and the resulting effect on the scene / object.

As mentioned in many of such "what lens to use for [insert your purpose] threads": there are no landscape lenses, birthday lenses, firework lenses, wedding lenses etc.
You can use 24mm for any purpose where 24mm do the job and deliver what you want. This can be a landscape, group shot, fireworks ... important is the field of view and the resulting effect on the scene / object.

Thanks for the advice. Very true indeed. Seen some great shots of landscapes with telephoto lenses before. It's really down to the creativity and eye of the photographer.

Thanks for the advice. Very true indeed. Seen some great shots of landscapes with telephoto lenses before. It's really down to the creativity and eye of the photographer.

Yes, a good photographer will be able to create nice landscape photos with a narrow field of view. However, it forces you to think longer and harder.

Personally, my EF-S 24mm STM has been on my camera since I bought it and I find it a little too narrow for handheld landscapes.

Yes, a good photographer will be able to create nice landscape photos with a narrow field of view. However, it forces you to think longer and harder.

Personally, my EF-S 24mm STM has been on my camera since I bought it and I find it a little too narrow for handheld landscapes.

Thanks for the reply. The 24mm STM is probably best for street photography?

Thanks for the reply. The 24mm STM is probably best for street photography?

No such thing as best or what. Some people use phone for street photography anyway. It really depends on you what suits you. Some people do streets with ultrawide some do it with telephoto. Some agree some disagree with the latter. We can't tell you what suits you we can only suggest some possible options then you try it out. If you have a kit lens, set it at a few of the common focal lengths or those you are considering and go out and shoot. See if you like the perspective that the focal length gives you. It would be more helpful than us telling you what we think.

No such thing as best or what. Some people use phone for street photography anyway. It really depends on you what suits you. Some people do streets with ultrawide some do it with telephoto. Some agree some disagree with the latter. We can't tell you what suits you we can only suggest some possible options then you try it out. If you have a kit lens, set it at a few of the common focal lengths or those you are considering and go out and shoot. See if you like the perspective that the focal length gives you. It would be more helpful than us telling you what we think.

Thanks for the advice!