Recommendations for Tripod and GND filter brands

qianhanhua

Aug 4, 2010
Hi all, I want to try out some natural and landscape shooting and would like to buy tripod and GND filters (filter adapter as well). Any good brand to recommend? :)

Gitzo tripod and Lee Filters

your equipment? its hard for others to recommend without knowing your eq

Maybe you can say what's your rough budget so people can be more specific. :D

All tripods can be use. You need to look into the following,

1) Your heaviest equipment (this is cumulative) - lens + body + flash + miscellanous
2) budget
3) tripod head (ballhead, panhead, etc)

Basically the more popular brand are:

1) Sirui
2) Manfrotto
3) Benro
4) Gitzo

your equipment? its hard for others to recommend without knowing your eq

I am using Nikon D200 + Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC. I am a beginner so want to use the standard zoom lens to have a little try out of landscape shot.

I am using Nikon D200 + Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC. I am a beginner so want to use the standard zoom lens to have a little try out of landscape shot.

All the brands that I have stated in my thread, could be use for your setup. They have different load for different model. You just need to find one model that can suit you. And like all people asking this type of question, my reply will be for you to go down to the shops and check out these tripods yourselves, then see which one suits you best (budget, feeling and capability).

Maybe you can say what's your rough budget so people can be more specific. :D

My budget is around S$200 for the tripod. I am not sure about GND filter and adapter price though. I saw someone selling a set of 3 2nd hand Lee GND filters at 200. Not sure whether the price is ok or not. But of course price-performance ratio is what I am looking for.

qianhanhua said:
My budget is around S$200 for the tripod. I am not sure about GND filter and adapter price though. I saw someone selling a set of 3 2nd hand Lee GND filters at 200. Not sure whether the price is ok or not. But of course price-performance ratio is what I am looking for.

I'm using a Sirui T1004X and G10 ballhead. Quite adequate for my heaviest setup (D90 + Grip + Tamron 17-50). Bought it for $160. Best bang for buck IMO.

All tripods can be use. You need to look into the following,

1) Your heaviest equipment (this is cumulative) - lens + body + flash + miscellanous
2) budget
3) tripod head (ballhead, panhead, etc)

Basically the more popular brand are:

1) Sirui
2) Manfrotto
3) Benro
4) Gitzo

I think should be less than 6kg. D200 body, Sigma 17-70mm lens, filters. Maybe I should buy a shutter release also.

tripod 200, go look at sirui or those other brands tripod, look at sgcamerastore or artworkfoto website, can find under mass sales forum....

u sure LEE GND set of 3 for 200 thats cheap.... but dont forget u still need to get a filter holder plus the adaptor ring that will cost you around 180++.....

I'm using a Sirui T1004X and G10 ballhead. Quite adequate for my heaviest setup (D90 + Grip + Tamron 17-50). Bought it for $160. Best bang for buck IMO.

Thanks for sharing the personal experience, Bojee. I will check it out.

tripod 200, go look at sirui or those other brands tripod, look at sgcamerastore or artworkfoto website, can find under mass sales forum....

u sure LEE GND set of 3 for 200 thats cheap.... but dont forget u still need to get a filter holder plus the adaptor ring that will cost you around 180++.....

Thanks, Akerue. Yes, he is selling 2nd hand one, a set of LEE GND with assorted colors. Will go to camera shops on weekend with all your advices.

Thanks, Akerue. Yes, he is selling 2nd hand one, a set of LEE GND with assorted colors. Will go to camera shops on weekend with all your advices.

no probs,

errr... assorted colours...??? u dont really need those colour filters, with what available with photoshop and lightroom now....

i saw the ad posted. , make sure u know what it is before u go spending all that money....

and happy shooting landscapes....

Last edited:
no probs,

errr... assorted colours...??? u dont really need those colour filters, with what available with photoshop and lightroom now....

i saw the ad posted. , make sure u know what it is before u go spending all that money....

and happy shooting landscapes....

Thanks man. I thought that set he is selling would be gray, blue and orange colored GNDs. Will be double careful when spending money cos I am not earning salary yet...

All the brands that I have stated in my thread, could be use for your setup. They have different load for different model. You just need to find one model that can suit you. And like all people asking this type of question, my reply will be for you to go down to the shops and check out these tripods yourselves, then see which one suits you best (budget, feeling and capability).

Thank you, Rhino123. I will go down to shop on weekend.

GND means Gradiated Neutral Grey. Meaning they are not colored anything other than grey.

Graduated color filters are only useful if you are shooting film or pure jpeg, and you need to know what specific conditions or result you are looking for.

Also do note that Lee filters come in different sizes, so you need to know what sizes you need as well as what the seller is actually selling on the ad.

Akerue is also right that you will need the appropriate sized filter holder and lens adapter ring.

If you want more learn more on filters, do read up the newbie guide to filters listed as one of the sticky threads at the top of the newbie corner section.

So if we shoot RAW, we dun need colored filters? I dunno if this relevant, but I was trying out a friend's lee colored grad filters stacked at different heights to produce 3 layers of colours with gradual changes. May not be a desirable photo but I think this is not possible with RAW files alone right? Or can lightroom do this?