Recommendations for Rangefinder for newbie

wm910

Oct 20, 2010
Wanted to try out film photography thus hoping to get some recommendations.

Was on a lookout and shortlisted the Yashica Electro 35 GSN film, Minolta Hi-matic E and Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII FILM?

Hope for more recommendations for a beginner. Thanks

Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII is not bad. Small and light. Quite a good lens.
Seems to use a 1.3v mercury cell Eveready EPX-675 battery. This was a mercury cell which are obsolete due to environmental reasons.
You can choose not to use the built in CDS meter, then you don't need the battery.
The camera is fully manual (works even without battery). You can set the shutter speed and aperture and focus manually using the rangefinder.
Just use an external separate exposure meter. It has a leaf shutter and can do daylight fill flash at shutter speeds of up to 1/500 sec.

Finally I have a reply! Thanks so much for your advice. I was searching online and doing some simple research and have narrowed down to a Canon 7 or Voigtlander Bessa R but it takes time to find a working set.

I am also abit lost on which RF i should shortlist and buy or rather start with? i want to try out one with interchangable lens and i know is a not cheap hobby and it is not easy to find nowadays.

Should i just get a Leica M6 or 7 and just try it out?

Last edited:
Between Canon 7 or Voigtlander Bessa R, choose Bessa. The Canon 7 is too old (1961 to 1965).
Quote { i want to try out one with interchangable lens } UnQuote
But instead of going one big round and changing cameras many times, then if you can afford it, go straight to Leica M series film cameras.
The advantage is if later you buy a Leica M 10 (digital camera with manual RF focus), you can continue to use the same M lens.
The advantage is if later you buy a Sony A7R3 camera (the A7R4 just came out), you can buy a Tech Art (or other brand with similar features) Leica M to Sony E-Mount autofocus adapter and be able to get limited autofocus with some of the smaller and lighter Leica M lenses.
It works by changing the distance between the sensor and the lens. Typically a variable extension between 0 and 4.5mm.
That means it is not suitable for very long focal length (and heavy) telephoto lenses.

Reactions: wm910
Ah i understood your point on reusing the lens on another body. currently i am using the Sony A7III not sure if i can use the adapter. The price of the Leica is definitely not cheap but is you pay for what u get, there are the Leica M6 to M10 which one should i try on as a newbie? What is the difference between the Leica's with TTL 0.xxx on it? thanks

The TTL on the Leica M6 TTL basically refers to TTL metering for flash. Both are TTL meter cameras. The x0.xx refers to the viewfinder magnification. It affects the frame lines available. Can check it online and there’re visuals on how they look like. I wear glasses and shoot mainly 35mm so the 0.58x allows me to see the 35mm frame lines really comfortably. The 50mm frame line is a little small but still pretty comfortable to use

Thanks for the info!! appreciate it

Charles Tumiotto Jackson explains Leica M TTL very well.

{ there are the Leica M6 to M10 which one should i try on as a newbie? }
Leica M6 & M7 are film cameras.
M8, M9, M10 are digital.

The autofocus adapter seems to work and many friends have bought it for their Sony A7R3 or other models of Sony A7 series.
But a few have malfunctioned. Maybe the user tried to use it with a very heavy telephoto lens. i.e. they misused it beyond the design scope limits.
Which technically is not the adapter's fault.