Recommendations for Prime Lens (Focal Length)

sheldonchew

Dec 5, 2009
I am stuck in deciding what to get for Prime Lens in terms of the focal length.

One of my friends recommended me to get the 24mm and 85mm with one that covers the landscape and the other to cover the portrait.

Another of my friends recommended me to get 24mm, 50mm and 105mm.

I intend to use them for street photography. What should i get?

Thanks in advance.

One of my friends recommended me to get the 24mm and 85mm with one that covers the landscape and the other to cover the portrait.

Thanks in advance.

What camera are you using? The FOV will depend if its a APS-C camera or FF one.
Anyway, I'd suggest you start with a 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 and gradually progress your purchases from there.
Also check you previous photos and see what focal lengths you have been using the most.

But you know what? At the end of the day we suggest the focal lengths that work for us, may not work on you. You have a zoom lens? Try out the focal length if it is within your zoom range. Go out try street photography and see what length suits you.

I think some will have the same opinion as me...if you don't know what you want, save the money and don't buy. Buy only when you know exactly what you want.

If the focal length you want to try is beyond what you own --> consider renting lens and go out into the streets to try.

different people have different preferences

I have primes in 24mm,35mm,50mm,85mm,100mm

it bring them seperately depending on my outing purpose

for dining out with my family, i bring 24,35,50

for outdoor activities, i bring 24,50,100(if going to parks to do macro)

for portraits, i bring 35,50,85

I suggest renting/borrowing a 18-135 and use it for a couple of outings, then look at your pictures and see which focal length you usually use.

primes are highly subjected to individual's preferences.

one man's meat may be another's poison.

agree...besides FL choices, street photography requires a lot more elements than just that. Generally speaking, people uses a normal zoom or a normal prime.

Thanks in advance.

TS; first, what's ur budget?
second , ask urself what r u gonna to shoot wif that lens>?

for me i'll go for a longer focal lenght for street photography, 85mm / 100mm/ 135mm.
and u using ff or crop body?

TS; first, what's ur budget?
second , ask urself what r u gonna to shoot wif that lens>?

for me i'll go for a longer focal lenght for street photography, 85mm / 100mm/ 135mm.
and u using ff or crop body?

Budget? Answer: Let's take it i got no specific budget
Shoot what: Interesting subject like human, building.
FF or crop body: Considered ff since i am using film slr.

Budget? Answer: Let's take it i got no specific budget
Shoot what: Interesting subject like human, building.
FF or crop body: Considered ff since i am using film slr.

Wow no budget? The price difference can be very big, just look at 35mm f2 and 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.4

Any focal length can be use to shoot those just up to you how to use it. If really no budget then its very simple, just buy all and use all the lenses, sell away those that you don't need:bsmilie:

Wow no budget? The price difference can be very big, just look at 35mm f2 and 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.4

Any focal length can be use to shoot those just up to you how to use it. If really no budget then its very simple, just buy all and use all the lenses, sell away those that you don't need:bsmilie:

Get a zoom lens first, go out to shoot, select those shots that you like and keep them somewhere. After a while, look at the shots that you like, look at the most common focal length/s that you use to make the shots that you like. You'll find out easily what lenses fit your style of shooting.

for street photography, use a zoom like 70-200, then shoot behind cars at people--paparazzi-style :D

Agree with Photoart, I bring my 28 & 50 out mostly for street on my 5D2. If i feel like I want to snipe people, then will being my 150, and maybe my 85 too. ;)

Different styles. For me I love using wider lenses to go upclose for street shooting.
My fav would be 24mm and especially 35mm. I use the 50mm occassionally but i still find it a little too tight on FF.

Ryan

35mm works the best for me most of the time.

I guess what works for John may not work for James. Personally I prefer the 50mm to others. A friend of mine had a 105mm prime and I must say I was really impressed by some close-ups, remarkable.