recommendations for PC monitor

kei1309

Apr 12, 2010
Earth
www.facebook.com
ok. i'm an IT idiot.

i only know how to make coffee.

so when it comes to getting a new computer monitor, i'm clueless.

1) i'll be using it for gaming, watching HD video and photo editing.
2) best if it has HDMI ports in addition to VGA/DVI
3) the larger the better
4) budget-wise, just hit me with all ranges. but definitely i need a good one

what should i get?

what size are you looking at? If 30" I recommend Dell Ultrasharp U3011.

It comes with 2x HDMI, 2x DVI, 1x VGA, 1x DisplayPort, and better still 4x USB ports.

Price around $1.5k :) Of course do buffer an additional $400 to get yourself a colorimeter like Spyder2Elite.

Dude, look in the digital darkroom section. VERY common question.

FYI, look at the Dell IPS screens. Fantastic for photo work.

Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" IPS Monitor with LED.

Around $300. When there is an offer, it will cost around $260.

Cons - no hdmi and 8ms response time.

Last edited:
Dell LCDs keep coming up during recommendations, must be good, i reckon.

Since you are not on a budget, take a look at Dell ultrasharp series, specifically U2410, U2711 and U3011.

These 3 models use H-IPS which is the best panel you can get, great features (has all the inputs you ever need and comes with card reader), design and easily available, good after sales support too. Since Sitex is around coming, head down to Dell booth to take a look. Very obvious contrast difference between H-IPS and other panels. It's extremely hard to find a H-IPS from other brands, definitely not in any PC show/Sitex.

Most importantly after getting a good monitor, buy a monitor calibrator.

Dude, look in the digital darkroom section. VERY common question.

FYI, look at the Dell IPS screens. Fantastic for photo work.

sorry bro. was a little lazy last night. eyes were tired :bsmilie:

but Dell.. hmm didn't cross my mind. i was thinking you guys would recommend the NEC monitors

Dell is pretty famous for their Ultrasharp monitors... NEC is not too bad but they are rare creatures in this country. I have their distributor pricelist and their price isn't that fantastic as compare to Dell.

Or can consider eizo. Should be easier to get than NEC.

Philip 240pw .. Ips,178 degree viewing, 95% rgb color display, critical for photo editing.

Philip 240pw .. Ips,178 degree viewing, 95% rgb color display, critical for photo editing.

The dell is better. The Philips does not have very uniform brightness.

How about iMac for photo editing? Tot of getting 1.

How about iMac for photo editing? Tot of getting 1.

You still need to calibrate the screen, and the glossy screen is not my preference for editing. Tends to make the contrast look higher than it really is.

someone's in a good mood today :bsmilie:

sharing his wealth of knowledge :D

The Apple Thunderbolt display is serving me well, not the best though.

The Apple Thunderbolt display is serving me well, not the best though.

Thunderbolt is just Apple's name for Intel's Light Peak. "Thunderbolt" has nothing to do with the type or quality of the monitor, it's just the plug.

You still need to calibrate the screen, and the glossy screen is not my preference for editing. Tends to make the contrast look higher than it really is.
Noted with many many thanks... :)

Thunderbolt is just Apple's name for Intel's Light Peak. "Thunderbolt" has nothing to do with the type or quality of the monitor, it's just the plug.

Yup. In fact, it would probably look exactly the same using a generic mini displayport instead of thunderbolt

kei1309 said:
*facepalm* you don't get it do you

Just go for a Dell. Order it online and have them deliver it to you.