Recommendations for my first film SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeppie99

Feb 26, 2002
community.webshots.com
I'm extremely interested in the SLR system with its interchangeable lenses. My plan will be buy a digital SLR in the future but due to financial constraints, I plan to start with a film SLR and slowly build up my knowledge and skills before getting a DSLR. Thanks to Megaweb for your suggestion if you still remember. I think this would be a good idea. Docile, I think I'm taking the same path as you. Haha, to think that I actually told you that you were weird to go from digital to film and not the other way round.

I am faced with the burning question of Nikon, Canon, Minolta or whatever brand out there. However, I believe I will eventually settle for a Nikon or Canon.

Can someone recommend me a good setup to begin with? I would prefer something which is not too beginner but not professional as well. In other words, something that will not cause me to desire another camera in another 2 months or so. I am aware that it is more of skill than equipment but you know what I mean.

At present, I enjoy nature and wildlife photography more than anything else but I don't discount the possibilities of me venturing into other areas.

So which camera and lenses should I start with and how much can I expect to blow on the initial setup? What film should I start with? I appreciate all comments and thanks in advance to whoever that will reply.

Originally posted by yeppie99

haha wat does that mean?

OR OR - Dark
HEE PAIN - Side

:D

Too bad .. canon promotion is over during Feb 2002 ... you can get EOS 30 for $950 with 1 lens free (EF 28-105mm)

Originally posted by megaweb

OR OR - Dark
HEE PAIN - Side

:D

Too bad .. canon promotion is over during Feb 2002 ... you can get EOS 30 for $950 with 1 lens free (EF 28-105mm)

aiyah i mean wat does 'dark side' mean?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by megaweb

opss ... it means SLR world ...

orrrhh.... so it means FILM SLR? then DSLR is the Bright Side? or the Rebellion?

ANYWAY..... so wat should I get??? so now the EOS 30 with 28-105 is how much? Can you describe the Canon cameras terms of cheem-ness level? the only thing i know is that the EO3 S 3, 1N, 1V are out coz they're pro cameras and pro prices. I really know very little abt films cameras.

Ever thought of getting 2nd hand gear?..... since you r upgarding your system later.:light:

orrrhh.... so it means FILM SLR? then DSLR is the Bright Side? or the Rebellion?

ANYWAY..... so wat should I get??? so now the EOS 30 with 28-105 is how much? Can you describe the Canon cameras terms of cheem-ness level? the only thing i know is that the EO3 S 3, 1N, 1V are out coz they're pro cameras and pro prices. I really know very little abt films cameras.

ALL SLR , DLSR are known as OR OR HEE PIAN ...

to know more about Canon Camera , pls visit http://www.canon.com.sg/camera/index.html

to know more about Nikon Camera , pls visit http://www.nikon.com.sg/

yes i'm also considering 2nd hand gear. any other tips? pls help. i'm having a lot of trouble deciding.

Not really a tip..but just to share with you my experience when I was deciding to buy my first and decent SLR.
My budget around $1500 and I bought a Nikon FM2 and a Tokina 28 - 105mm with macro lens which cost me slightly over $1000 bucks...but that was a decade ago.

I will probably recommend you to start with Canon or Nikon...their mounts have more compatibilty with the average lenses like Sigma and Tokina etc. And if you have the cash ..you can upgrade the lenses in their own series.

At S$1000 budget, you should look in the 2nd hand market to get the best bang of the buck.

For new items, you will be limited to a beginner body (which you need to upgrade in a short time...thus loosing money) and a middle range lens; or a prosumer body + a standard lens. If new is your choice, I would choose for the later.

Originally posted by Kho King
At S$1000 budget, you should look in the 2nd hand market to get the best bang of the buck.

For new items, you will be limited to a beginner body (which you need to upgrade in a short time...thus loosing money) and a middle range lens; or a prosumer body + a standard lens. If new is your choice, I would choose for the later.

so what combination would you recommend and how much would a new and used set cost?

so what combination would you recommend and how much would a new and used set cost?

For Nikon system:
New
1. F80D + AFD 50mm f/1.8

Used
1. F80D + AFD 28-105mm or 24-120mm

2nd hand items depends on your timing...

I am not that familiar with Canon system...let other work out the list for you.

Agree with Kho..

Why not make a trip to all the 2nd camera shops and have a look yourself?

Can compare prices and models as well...

;)

Originally posted by panz
Agree with Kho..

Why not make a trip to all the 2nd camera shops and have a look yourself?

Can compare prices and models as well...

;)

oh yah. reminded me. good 2nd hand shops to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.