Recommendations for Milan, Florenze & Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

barracuda

Jul 14, 2002
Singapore
www.fearstar.blogspot.com
I am going for a day trip in Paris this coming Sat and another day trip to Florenze on Sunday, then spending one week in Milan.

Do you guys have any recommendations for good food, good places to visit, and good stuff to buy in those places. of course, any special precautions against crime? traveling alone, so more concerned about safety.

thanks in advance... ;)

Paris..
Make sure you visit Champs Elysee and Sacre Cour. try to make it to Eiffel tower around dusk. You must watch the lighting on it. Rather flashy. Climb up to get some great pics of the city.

Florence..
Actually it is called Firenze in Italian. I almost missed my train from Rome because I couldnt find the one going to "Florence".
Most obvious places to visit are the Duoma and of course 'David'. Check out the times of viewing before hand. For taking nice pictures cross the river and climb up to this palace on a hill. It affords a very nice view of the whole town. Use a 300mm+ lens to shoot the Duoma + town +background hills from there. Again dusk would be a good time to go up there.

Milan.
Well just dont blow too much money shopping there.

I never had a problem with criminals in Italy. Take usual precautions against pick pockets and protect your camera. Sling it across your body so that noone can snatch it and run.

For food I dont have any recommendations. Try the local cuisine and wines and leave a tip in Italy unless you want to see their scowling faces when you are exiting :D

Paris:
Saint Chapelle is my fav.

Firenze:
I queued up for 3 1/2 hrs to get into Uffizi. Since u only have 1 day, forget about it.

thanks for the replies.

AReality said:
Paris:
Saint Chapelle is my fav.

Firenze:
I queued up for 3 1/2 hrs to get into Uffizi. Since u only have 1 day, forget about it.

Where is this Saint Chapelle? what is it famous for? and is it worth the effort to get into Uffizi? thanks.

barracuda said:
thanks for the replies.

Where is this Saint Chapelle? what is it famous for? and is it worth the effort to get into Uffizi? thanks.
It's near the very centre. It's a gothic church with so many stained glass that u can sit inside the whole day... http://www.paris.org/Monuments/Sainte.Chapelle/

Uffizi: It's worth the effort if u're into arts and painting, but since u only have 1 day, I'd rather walk around, can see more...

Be VERY careful with pickpockets!

If a bunch of young girls come up to you, they are up to no good!

student said:
Be VERY careful with pickpockets!

If a bunch of young girls come up to you, they are up to no good!
Thats more so for Rome lah.. other places usually not so bad.

nemesis32 said:

I was in Milan. A group of young ladies came up to my friend and shoved a newspaper for him to see. Then then ran away. I caught two of them. My friend caught one. But the fourth one got away - the one who got his wallet.

The police weretotally unhelpful.

nemesis32 said:

I was in Milan. A group of young ladies came up to my friend and shoved a newspaper for him to see. Then they ran away. I caught two of them. My friend caught one. But the fourth one got away - the one who got his wallet. Luckily his passport was in the hotel's safe. But his NIRC, CC and cash were all gone.

The police were totally unhelpful.

Recommendation for Florence:

As mentioned, Statue of David (3 in all, real one in musuem, one in city square, one on a hill (nice view of florence from the hill though)), shopping trips to outlets (can join day tour if you interested in Prada etc. i got some clothes and ties for like 80% off?), Ponte Vecchio (the famous bridge, i did not go as no time), Duomo etc.

Paris - the usual places, Effiel Tower, Champs Elysee, Sacre Cour, Moulin Rouge/Crazy Horses/Lido (if you want to watch the show, about 80-100euro for dinner show i think), River cruise along Seine rvier, Notre Dame (hunchback of notre dame rem?) etc. Most impt and recommended place is Lourve Musuem (spend 1 day and slowly walk around and see the exhibits, most impt is of course Mona Lisa, Last Supper by Da vinci and the Venus statue and Beldevere Torso i think...)

Milan - never been there but heard mainly is for shopping..

student said:
I was in Milan. A group of young ladies came up to my friend and shoved a newspaper for him to see. Then they ran away. I caught two of them. My friend caught one. But the fourth one got away - the one who got his wallet. Luckily his passport was in the hotel's safe. But his NIRC, CC and cash were all gone.

The police were totally unhelpful.
That bad? I never went to Milan but other parts of Italy seems ok....

nemesis32 said:
That bad? I never went to Milan but other parts of Italy seems ok....

Actually these girls are not Italians but gypsies. And I think they come from the north and east. I believe there are not many gypsies in Rome. The pickpockets in Rome are different.

I was told by another couple who was picketpocketted the same day (met them in the police station) that Italian laws do not imprison minors. You cannot force them to bring you to their hideouts. So essentially, there is nothing one can do.

thanks for all the replies.

in fact it is my 2nd day trip to paris & milan. i had seen all the normal tourist stuff in both cities, so now want to do something different, see something less touristic. last time was showed around by friends, so it was worry-free, but also didn't get to know anything practical. :embrass:

didn't know milan was that bad. my stay there was fine last time except that i had food poisoning after eating at a restaurant near duomo. :thumbsd:

barracuda said:
thanks for all the replies.

in fact it is my 2nd day trip to paris & milan. i had seen all the normal tourist stuff in both cities, so now want to do something different, see something less touristic. last time was showed around by friends, so it was worry-free, but also didn't get to know anything practical. :embrass:

didn't know milan was that bad. my stay there was fine last time except that i had food poisoning after eating at a restaurant near duomo. :thumbsd:
Oh ya... for Paris, rem to go to the Artist Square behind the Sacre Coeur... It's where all the famous french artist hone their trade before they get famous...

Since you been to Paris before, you may want to explore outside.. i heard Versailles is nice. Giverny, the house where Monet painted his lilies are quite nice also...

For paris:

you can try the Marais area for the quaint streets and most importantly my favourite boulangerie selling wonderful cakes and sandwiches.. you can also visit the bookstore with rather cheap photography books, or just try jewish food or take pics of the jews in the area..

Is it the sinfully rich butter cakes? I tried it when my bro'sfriend (french) bought it... but dunno where and what type though....

i bought chocolate cakes, something like brownie.. and some form of cheese cake... just biting it will make you smile :)
let me try to find a pic of tt shop heh

Milan, Duomo is now under restoration (basically cleaning the outside wall of the cathederal) where they erected scaffolding covering the main entrance. was there on 29-30 june.
Firenze or Florence is worth exploring, but u can basically cover the whole Florence in a day. suggest u spend a day going to Pisa by train, an hour journey from Florence.

scud said:
Milan, Duomo is now under restoration (basically cleaning the outside wall of the cathederal) where they erected scaffolding covering the main entrance. was there on 29-30 june.
Firenze or Florence is worth exploring, but u can basically cover the whole Florence in a day. suggest u spend a day going to Pisa by train, an hour journey from Florence.

I am just wondering why ppl like this Duomo so much. I know it is one of the best gothic style architecture in the world, but somehow i don't like its COLD feeling. This Duomo is perpetual under restoration/repair. It was like what you describe since April at least, when I was there. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.