Recommendations for Macro Lens

alvin81

Dec 21, 2009
I am interested in the field of macro photgraphy. Any lenses to recommend? Recommended to get a macro lens with built-in image stabiliser? Would like to know more in differences between 1:1 vs 1:XXX.

Someone please enlighten? Thanks!

My profile: very newbie :(

I am interested in the field of macro photgraphy. Any lenses to recommend? Recommended to get a macro lens with built-in image stabiliser? Would like to know more in differences between 1:1 vs 1:XXX.

Someone please enlighten? Thanks!

My profile: very newbie :(

1st off..... 'very newbie'.... you didn't tell us which camera brand you are using.

2nd.... your buget.

i presume u on Canon since u mentioned IS.

Answer to ur 1st qs : Budget? Focal length interested in? Wad kinda macro? U see.. Options are plenty.. We have 100/180/65 mpe for canon, 90/180 for Tammy, 105/150/180 for Sigma, 100 for tokina, 100 for carl zeiss, 125 for norton..u see..the list goes on...

Answer to ur 2nd qs : NO. even if u get one with IS, most likely u wun use it.. (since Macro is all abt gg full "Manual") But if u intend to double up ur macro lens as a portrait or general purpose lens, then IS is a "bonus"

Answer to ur 3rd qs : 1:1 is reproduction ratio meaning the the ratio of the actual size of an object to it's reproduced size on film/digital sensor..

1:2 meaning the the ratio of the half the actual size of an object to it's reproduced size on film/digital sensor..

& it goes on...clear?

HTH :)

I am using a Nikon D90. I am looking into options of 2nd hand macro lenses and close-up lenses. I don't really know what kind of budget should a beginner put in for macro lens. But I think I would put away about $300 to $400 for a brand new macro lense. Is that a realistic budget?

Would one of these lenses be a good start?
1. Tamron (NikonMount) Tamron AF55-200mm f4-5.6 LD Macro Di II
2. Nikon 55mm AIS f/2.8 micro (Manual lens)

Or should I start be screw-on close-up lens?

So can I say that 1:1 is better than 1:xx?

Answer to ur 2nd qs : NO. even if u get one with IS, most likely u wun use it.. (since Macro is all abt gg full "Manual") But if u intend to double up ur macro lens as a portrait or general purpose lens, then IS is a "bonus"

Just like to know since Macro Photography is all about Manual ? Why do we still need to buy AF Macro lens which is more ex if compared to Manual Focus one ?

Sorry that my Macro experience is not much.

Just like to know since Macro Photography is all about Manual ? Why do we still need to buy AF Macro lens which is more ex if compared to Manual Focus one ?

Sorry that my Macro experience is not much.

Autofocusing does not work as accurately for tiny active subjects. Yes u can use a manual focusing lens as well, but the camera body ( depending on which model ) might not support manual metering functions. Or even worse, you might even need to manually stop down aperture ( depending on how old the lens .. ).

ryan